• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oceanic Science Discussion - requesting help in understanding the role of phytoplankton in our oxygen supply. Can technology save the day?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor i5-12600kf @ 5.2 P and 3.9 E (1.26v)
Motherboard MSi Z790 Pro Wifi
Cooling Frost Commander 140
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 3200
Video Card(s) XFX MERC310 7900 XT (oc'd)
Display(s) NZXT Canvas 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) Jade Audio JT1, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W Gold
Mouse Naga X
Keyboard Akko Fairy Switch
Been thinking a lot lately about ocean science, ever since 2021 in Canada where billion+ sea creatures most likely died really:

and now this posted today:

Graph from University Maine shows basically a 1 Celsius year over year increase in average ocean temperature, including in 2024 its just another solid 1 Celsius it looks like.

That got me thinking about phytoplankton since they make a large (I believe majority) amount of oxygen for the entire Earth. Prohlorococcus (just one of the many types of phytoplankton) provides 20% of all oxygen in the biosphere, which is more than all of the rainforests on land combined according to oceanservice.noaa.gov

So let's fast forward a bit, I asked AI a lot of questions going back and forth, and this reply I found very alarming:

1708112374809.png

Well, according to the University of Maines graph in the Ars link I provided earlier, we are seeing 1% year over year... this means phytoplankton could start dying off as soon as 3 years from now, now lets just say this is off, even by 10 years. We are looking at a huge chunk of the oxygen supply vanishing, unless I am misunderstanding something, which is why I made this topic... to discuss and figure out.

I know in desert areas that have water ways running they are putting solar panels over those to help prevent evaporation, I also read about China during the Olympics creating clear skies through weather modification - could we not locate in the oceans the greatest concentration of phytoplankton, and try to protect them by doing the opposite, no clear skies, but give those areas more clouds... it seems to me the phytoplankton needs to be protected at all costs. Any thoughts on any of this? I have no idea, not really in our power, I just think it is interesting to think about, because I have a feeling humans are in 5th gear heading straight off a cliff... surely it's not this simple? I really hope I am missing something...