• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd Slowdown in Games

System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Storage 120GB Kingston SSD, 2TB HDD
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Corsair 500W
Software Windows 8 64bit
Recently I have been experiencing frequent bouts of slowdown in games. I bought Dawn of War 2 and even with low settings, high framerates would be interspersed with several second periods of harsh slowdown, not even always at the most demanding parts. I presumed this was the game's fault until I bought Mass Effect a couple of days later and it appears to be doing the same thing... I have:

Vista 32
AMD 5600+
2GB RAM
ATi HD4850

My graphics card has the latest drivers. What do you think could be the problem, do you think I may need to clean my drivers and reinstall them? I've never done that really before, is it adequate to uninstall them and then use DriverSweeper; I don't want to be messing around with the registry or anything ideally. Thanks for your help.

System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Storage 120GB Kingston SSD, 2TB HDD
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Corsair 500W
Software Windows 8 64bit
I just tried Call of Duty 4 as another test but that, oddly enough, ran absolutely fine. However, Mass Effect and DOWII are definitely still exhibiting identical symptoms - smooth framerates on low-mid settings, but interrupted by several second slowdowns for no apparent reason.