• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official WoW Cataclysm Thread

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
I ALWAYS play in windowed mode so duel video cards is worthless for me

It eats more performance in almost every game :p WoW included.

Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W @4.3GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
Memory (16Gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Storage (2X) Kingston 120GB SSD in RAID 0 & WD Caviar 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Display(s) VIZIO M321i-A2 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV
Case NZXT Source 210 ELITE Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - Black
Audio Device(s) Creative 7.1 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
Software Windows 8 Pro 64Bit
News Update

Cataclysm has potential of releasing on November 2nd! This is however not final.

Gathering professions now give XP
This is an intentional change, however the values may not be final. Tradeskill nodes are intended to give you experience when you loot them.

Bastion of Twilight - Twilight Ascendant Council
Image1

Mimiron's Head/Invincible in 4.0
Ghostcrawler's stated idea to make such things really low drop rates is still a real possibility. Whether or not this change will take effect with patch 4.0.1 is to be determined.

Flying in Azeroth
Flying in Azeroth will not be possible until your account is upgraded to Cataclysm. Patch 4.0.1 is slated to be released prior to Cataclysm and will not include the changes to the old world or any content exclusive to Cataclysm. This patch will apply many systems, class, and user interface changes. It's very similar in nature to the major patches which preceded the releases of The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.

Raid/Dungeons Content Difficulty
You are correct that a lot of players moan about things being too easy without having seen the content personally. We definitely place less emphasis on their feedback than on people who have actually tried those encounters.

The hardest encounters of LK were harder than anything we've offered before. And honestly, that point isn't often in contention. I think what surprised players is say how far they got in Naxxramas on their very first night, without a lot of planning or gearing, or how they managed to kill 2-3 heroic bosses on their first night of a new heroic wing being opened in Icecrown (though to be honest, fighting a boss for weeks on normal mode first definitely exacerbates that phenomenon).

We'll continue to offer some content for the cutting-edge progression raider. There is an encounter in Bastion of Twilight for them. But we also think true pugs shouldn't be stumbling their way through encounters they've never seen before, at least without a very strong or experienced leader.

To use my own guild as an example, in say the Serpentshrine days, we'd take a few weeks to master a new boss. I could probably count the number of time we got two new bosses on one night. I think a progression rate like that feels better to a lot of players. You spend time in between raid nights discussing what you could do differently on a tough boss, but then celebrate each victory.

A heroic dungeon doesn't need to be quite so brutal, but it still doesn't seem bad if you wipe on a new boss 2-3 times before you figure out a solid stragegy and everything falls into place. A lot of players love that puzzle-solving aspect of the encounters. It lets them exercise their mind, creativity and knowledge of game mechanics. When you can just overpower the boss and ignore the encounter mechanics, then a lot of that is lost.

Class balance on PTRs
Most likely not. We'll be evaluating the way players are performing in content on the 4.0.1 test realms, but keep in mind the class changes are balanced around level 85 gameplay. It's almost more likely we'd end up taking away the Icecrown Citadel buff (I'm only saying this is a possibility), as in many cases healing, tanking, and damage dealing may stand to benefit a lot from these changes at level 80.

Things will be a little bit interesting since these changes are being applied while players are still actively working through the current Wrath of the Lich King content. Bear with us and provide as much feedback as you can about your experiences with these changes under the current content, but keep in perspective that the new class design is meant to be balanced around the upcoming Cataclysm content. We're more interested in ironing out bugs and polishing the systems than attempting to balance them intricately for level 80 gameplay.

Using all your healing spells
This is a very common line of argument we see from players, especially healers. It runs something like "I use all my heals. I seem to be a pretty good healer. Therefore only using a few heals makes you a bad healer." It should make you a bad healer (if our numbers are appropriate) but often it does not. Often those 1-2 spells can take you 90% of the way there and the additional heals used my more savvy players only adds 10% or so optimization on top of that. You might have been a better paladin for using all of your toolbox, but the fact is that even very mediocre paladins could heal just fine using only those two buttons. That's not what we are going for. If you're used to using a variety of spells, then this change won't affect you much.

Making healing more challenging
We see the sentiment expressed often that making healing more challenging might drive players away. That is a risk, but the flip side is that making healing more engaging might attract some players who find it boring today.

While it has always been a goal to make World of Warcraft approachable to a lot of different kinds of players, including those who found traditional MMOs too hardcore, we'd rather retain players because the gameplay is fun than because the gameplay is easy.

Taking your argument to a probably illogical conclusion, if we made healing even easier, we might get even more players to heal. Is that really good for the game as a whole though?

Lack of healers in the Dungeon Finder in Cataclysm?
Players played WoW for six years without Dungeon Finder though. Dungeon Finder is awesome, don't get me wrong, and I spent a lot of time personally working on it. But the intent is not to be able farm dungeons as fast as you possibly can.

Healing (and tanking as well) isn't for everyone. It takes the right kind of mindset. I know there are players who want to make healing and tanking super easy in an attempt to adjust the ratios of dps to tanking and healing. There are also some who just want to get rid of the healing role completely.

None of those are our goals though. We want to make healing fun for healers, not make healing so easy that anyone can jump in without any fear of failure.

I remember looking for Scholomance or Shadow Labs pugs for literally 2-3 hours. There is almost no chance of that ever happening again now that we have Dungeon Finder, even if tanking and healing require a little more finesse.

So to answer your question, I think having more healers available at any cost is bad for the game. We want healing to be fun for people who like healing. If that means the mages and rouges have to wait 15 minutes for Dungeon Finder instead of 5 minutes, I think we can live with that. If nothing else, fast Dungeon Finder queues (or ease in finding a raid slot, etc.) remain attractive benefits of tanking and healing.

Paladin
70% spell pushback
Hopefully they just make the 70% baseline for everyone with no pushback with earth shield or concentration aura type spells. Spell pushback is one of those things that can really drive you crazy in both PvP and PvE.
We did. We just changed the base pushback resistance so that we didn't have to duplicate the same passive bonus in every tree.

Tanking / Crusader Strike
If CS and HotR are meant to be single/multi-target counterparts, then they should both hit as the same type of damage. Since CS is stuck as physical due to Ret using it, HotR should probably be switched to physical as well. Mana cost of HotR seems lower than it should be, compared to CS.
We want Prot paladins to be able to swap between Shield of the Righteous and Inquisition when going from single-target to AE tanking. One of the mechanics that lets that work is Hammer of the Righteous being improved by Holy damage.

Crusader Strike should win handily against single targets. If it's not doing that yet it's just a numbers adjustment, so you'd be better off testing as if it were the case rather than trying to build a rotation based around something that you know we're likely to change.

Article Destination

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
It's nice to read that they see what they did wrong with Naxx, and that that mistake won't happen again. I'm not against some easier content, but I also want stuff that people have issues with, and allows great guilds to separate themselves from the rest. I don't know if my dream about great blues returning will ever happen though, but I can hope. I hate seeing everything as epic, I remember ZG having some amazing blues, and even using the old UBRS ring for a long time, or the Blackhands trink, would be nice to see some variety and some great blues again, rather than everyone just being completely epic'd out.

I ALWAYS play in windowed mode so duel video cards is worthless for me

I'm assuming you run dual monitors? If not, should play fullscreen, the desktop don't need to be sucking all of that power.

Processor Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W @4.3GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory (16Gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Storage (2X) Kingston 120GB SSD in RAID 0 & WD Caviar 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
They are are actually implementing windowed full screen mode into Blizzard games now which is AWESOME! And I am pretty sure it acts like full screen mode as far as power usage goes..

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Using all your healing spells
This is a very common line of argument we see from players, especially healers. It runs something like "I use all my heals. I seem to be a pretty good healer. Therefore only using a few heals makes you a bad healer." It should make you a bad healer (if our numbers are appropriate) but often it does not. Often those 1-2 spells can take you 90% of the way there and the additional heals used my more savvy players only adds 10% or so optimization on top of that. You might have been a better paladin for using all of your toolbox, but the fact is that even very mediocre paladins could heal just fine using only those two buttons. That's not what we are going for. If you're used to using a variety of spells, then this change won't affect you much.

I try to use all of my spells, or at least a large variety of them when I heal. The CoH cooldown in BC wasn't a nerf in my book. It just showed who the bad priests were.

Making healing more challenging
We see the sentiment expressed often that making healing more challenging might drive players away. That is a risk, but the flip side is that making healing more engaging might attract some players who find it boring today.

While it has always been a goal to make World of Warcraft approachable to a lot of different kinds of players, including those who found traditional MMOs too hardcore, we'd rather retain players because the gameplay is fun than because the gameplay is easy.

Taking your argument to a probably illogical conclusion, if we made healing even easier, we might get even more players to heal. Is that really good for the game as a whole though?

This. Healing is incredibly easy and boring, sans retards. I'm all for making it more challenging. The more I read about the upcoming expansion, the more I want to buy it.

I try to use all of my spells, or at least a large variety of them when I heal. The CoH cooldown in BC wasn't a nerf in my book. It just showed who the bad priests were.

This. Healing is incredibly easy and boring, sans retards. I'm all for making it more challenging. The more I read about the upcoming expansion, the more I want to buy it.

Everything you just said took all the words right out of me. :toast:
I am a priest myself and found it very easy in the Lich King expansion. All of these beta dungeon walk through videos are making me very excited because they show how intensive the fights are and the damage everyone takes. Us holy priest's are going to own healing with chakra! :rockout:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
They are are actually implementing windowed full screen mode into Blizzard games now which is AWESOME! And I am pretty sure it acts like full screen mode as far as power usage goes..

They've had windowed fullscreen mode for a long time, but as far as I know it still doesn't use dual videocards, and I'm pretty sure it still does the whole desktop thing, as it alt tabs out way faster than if you have it running regular full screen.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Sorry havent been keeping up with much news, Did they add suport for dual GPU's now then, and suport for more than 2 cpu threads?

At the moment wow does not officialy support crossfire or SLI and only realy makes use of dual core cpu's altho i read you can force it to detect more than 2 cores but you won't see any real performace gains, so did they change it in cat?

They also need to hurry up and release it lol im getting bored shitless with wotlk.

@1Kurgan1 oops diden't see you mention the dual card thing in your last post lol.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Yeah, the game does support multiple GPU's now and more than 2 CPU cores, but the CPU is still a massive bottleneck, even with my 6 core, my CPU is bottlenecking...

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Yeah, the game does support multiple GPU's now and more than 2 CPU cores, but the CPU is still a massive bottleneck, even with my 6 core, my CPU is bottlenecking...

yup even the blue panda's say the same, dosent seem to matter what cpu you have, seems to be more about the mhz. i see a few fps more if i bump my cpu up a bit more from 2800mhz to 3000mhz but its minimal so i don't bother.

When you say the game now suports 2 GPU's do you meen cataclysm?. (sorry should have mentioned that in my post) i ask because as it is now the blue panda's are still saying sli/crossfire is still not official suported in the current wotlk addon and patches.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Yeah I mean Cata, currently it doesn't use 2 cards. I'm sure with the current setup mhz is a massive factory for the wotlk client, because it is limited to using only 2 cores, and most people have 2, so the only thing beyond that is raising the speed. But I'm sure that the more cores the better (comparing to its own kind, like PII 2 core < PII 3 Core < PII 4 Core < PII 6 Core), but that means very bad news for anyone running even a quad, and if your running a dual core, you might as well turn off your second card as the scaling between the cards will be less performance than a single card. That is unless they change the game from being so graphically intensive, I just wish they would come out with 2 clients, like LotRO has, one low end one high end, would make the game run much better for everyone and allow them to optimize much better for all setups.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
I just wish they would come out with 2 clients, like LotRO has, one low end one high end, would make the game run much better for everyone and allow them to optimize much better for all setups.

I have had this in my head for a long time but there is no way they would do it i don't think, Its a shame :( i also with they would fix the crappy shadows no matter what card you have on max settings it kills fps big time.

Its odd to, i see so many people moaning about there high end rigs or even people with the same graphics card as me yet i personly dont seem to have any problems with fps to the point where the game is unplayable.

1600/1200 res / 4xAA / everthing on max apart from shadows, game sticks at 60fps in almost every place and in dalaran 45fps minimum most the time, It has droped to 25 but as i don't spend much time in dalaran it realy dosen't bother me.

You are right tho they should realy make a client to support the higher end users.

Meh. The game just has a sucky engine imo. Game launched in late 2004 so it's old and all they are pretty much customizing it now. It reminds me of Crysis or GTA4 on the PC. The engines just required too much.

Anyway when did they add the full screen windowed mode into WoW? I left this past February and never noticed it in the settings. :/

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
Meh. The game just has a sucky engine imo. Game launched in late 2004 so it's old and all they are pretty much customizing it now. It reminds me of Crysis or GTA4 on the PC. The engines just required too much.

Anyway when did they add the full screen windowed mode into WoW? I left this past February and never noticed it in the settings. :/

No idea don't use it, I just hit the windows key lol.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
now the blue panda's are still saying sli/crossfire is still not official suported in the current wotlk addon and patches

i have wow in my vga reviews now and it does scale, but not as much as other titles, and obviously no scaling if you are cpu limited.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
i have wow in my vga reviews now and it does scale, but not as much as other titles, and obviously no scaling if you are cpu limited.

I think this is what the panda's mean, All they said was it might scale or it might not, But its not officially supported.

Some people see a small diffrence but some have lower frames per second.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled

As far as I know they have had the option for a long time, I havent used windows mode since like 08 and I had been using that feature way back then.

I do agree it's a crappy engine, but theres a reason, and it's because they keep tacking on features, and not optimizing it. When WoW launched, it ran fantastic, I had a 9800 Pro back then, then a x850 Pro, both top end cards and it murdered the game. But I also had a friend with a lowly Geforce 2 (low end one) and he played it great. BC came along, more features, but no optimization for it, and since the game was CPU dependent, it really just fubared things, then WotLK and more of the same. I use to love Blizzard, but it's a company that is after pure money now, the game runs like crap on low end and high end system, and a few people get lucky and it works great.

It's nice to see they are redoing the engine, I just hope to see better optimization than what I have already seen in the beta, because if thats as good as it gets, people are going to need monster CPU's.

Isn't everything CPU limited since the game currently only uses 2 cores? That is if you are in a stressful area.

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
Just got a Beta invite today, if you guys have any specific questions I'll try and figure them out for you.

It does have a slightly updated engine and will run some dx11. At least that's what I've heard from one of my friends that got in beta before I did. I'm still downloading all the data for it, but can get in and play. My characters are still being transferred and the premades are taking a suggested 11 hours.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Isn't everything CPU limited since the game currently only uses 2 cores? That is if you are in a stressful area.

if it were you wouldn't see any difference in fps between the slowest and the fastest card

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
if it were you wouldn't see any difference in fps between the slowest and the fastest card

I have got about the same performance with the game running 1920x1200 max everything (except reduce input lag) while using a PI 9850 + 2x 3870's, PII 720 BE + 4870x2, and my current setup PII 1055T + 2x 5850s. I'm sure open world the systems have varied performance, but in stressful areas (where it matters), all of them have performed like crap compared to what they should do.

Just tested my setup, max GPU usage I can get from my 5850's with my 6 core at 3.5ghz is 54% usage :/ So CPU bottlenecked, very sad.

As far as I know they have had the option for a long time, I havent used windows mode since like 08 and I had been using that feature way back then.

I do agree it's a crappy engine, but theres a reason, and it's because they keep tacking on features, and not optimizing it. When WoW launched, it ran fantastic, I had a 9800 Pro back then, then a x850 Pro, both top end cards and it murdered the game. But I also had a friend with a lowly Geforce 2 (low end one) and he played it great. BC came along, more features, but no optimization for it, and since the game was CPU dependent, it really just fubared things, then WotLK and more of the same. I use to love Blizzard, but it's a company that is after pure money now, the game runs like crap on low end and high end system, and a few people get lucky and it works great.

First off I honestly have never seen the option for that. And I mean it literally never was an option for me. :wtf: Though back when I did play the game, I was running Vista so who knows. I am thankfully running Win 7 now but I doubt it has to do with the OS.

Also it was patch 3.0 that ruined the engine in terms of bottlenecking and extreme CPU dependency. I remember that when I had my old 2006 laptop, it could run the game on the highest settings and run a constant 40-60+ frames. When 3.0 was released, my laptop couldn't handle it even at medium settings. After a week it was too much for the GPU in the laptop thus destroying the gpu in there. :banghead: Now this was two years ago so I had to build a new gaming desktop PC. And this is my current PC I am using now. I fitted it with a GTX 260 and the Q6600 CPU at 3.0Ghz. Even with these settings even at ultra I get only about 30 frames or less in game and about 5-15 frames in cities..... I was so mad at Blizz with how they added all this junk in the engine in 3.0. It's almost like you need a $3000 computer now to have an amazing experience with the game on ultra settings. And all you needed on max settings before 3.0 was about a $600 computer :p

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
My cpu tops out at 25%-30% usage (never maxing cores), my dual core topped at 70%. My vga is always at 100% when any sort of activity pops up.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
I play windowed mode because I multitask to much, and would be super bored if just sitting around in Dalaran. Thank God for facebook... :)

News Update

Another big update.

Cataclysm Currency Changes Explained
As we discussed in our previous announcement (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=24401796793), we're refining the currency systems used for purchasing PvE and PvP items in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, and the transition to this new system will take place in two stages. Today, we're going into more detail on how these changes will be rolled out, so if you haven't yet, make sure to check out the prior article to get up to speed on the currency names.

One change of note since that original announcement is that we've changed the name of the low-tier PvE currency from Hero Points to Justice Points. The original announcement post has been updated to reflect this.

Out With the Old
In the upcoming 4.0 patch we'll begin the first stage of the conversion to the new currencies. Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost will be converted into Justice Points. For this initial conversion there will be a soft cap of points you can have, with a hard cap enforced later as detailed below. All PvE emblems and badges below Frost and Triumph will be converted into gold. This even includes legacy badges, like Badges of Justice. If any of these older currencies are converted into gold, the player will receive it through an in-game letter.

At this time any bosses a player defeats that are level-appropriate to them (and previously awarded badges or emblems upon defeat) will award them with the new Justice Points. Similarly, any items that previously cost emblems or badges of any type will now cost Justice Points instead.

On the PvP side, Season 8 will end with the release of patch 4.0, and all Arena Points, Honor Points, any leftover Battleground Marks of Honor, Stone Keeper's Shards, Venture Coins, and Spirit Shards will be converted into the new Honor Points. The new Honor Point pool will also have a soft cap for these conversions, but a hard cap will be enforced later. At the time of conversion, items that previously cost Honor or Arena Points will be sold in exchange for the new Honor Points. Rated Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds won't be available again until Season 9 (shortly after the release of Cataclysm), when they can be entered to win the higher-tier PvP Conquest Points.

In addition, purchasing any item with these secondary currencies (Honor Points and Justice Points) will now require that the purchaser meet the item's minimum level requirement.

It's important to note that these conversions are not 1:1, but are indicative of the level and relative worth of each before the conversion to the new point systems. For example, Stone Keeper's Shards will convert into more Honor Points than Spirit Shards.

Tip of the Cap
While we previously announced that there's a limit to the amount of these new currencies you can stockpile, we're providing a grace period in the form of a soft cap. This soft cap will allow the initial conversion to push the amount owned over the cap, but will not allow any further points to be earned (or returned through item refunds) until enough points are spent to put you below the hard cap.

For instance, a player has 3000 Emblems of Triumph, and 1200 Emblems of Frost; at the time of conversion they'll be given 4200 Justice Points. The hard cap for Justice Points is 4000, so that player won't be able to earn any more Justice Points until he or she spends enough points to reduce the total to under 4000. This also applies to the new PvP Honor Points, which also have a cap of 4000.

Shortly before Cataclysm is released, another patch will enforce the hard cap, marking the second stage of the currency conversion. Any Justice or Honor Points above the hard cap will be converted to gold, and just like in the first stage of the conversion, the player will receive an in-game letter explaining that some of their currencies were converted into gold as well as delivering the gold itself.

Article Destination

Archaeology Rewards and Previews, Blue Posts

Now to look at some of the items and rewards you can obtain from archaeology or how the profession works, please visit the article I will put down below.

More blue posts

AQ20 is a 10-player raid in Cataclysm
AQ20 has been converted to a 10 player raid.

Reforging on 4.0.1 PTRs
We've been creating a lot of builds lately for 4.0.1 and Cataclysm beta, so Reforging NPCs may not yet be available. As with all PTR processes, the patch notes are not comprehensive. Some changes may not be reflected in the notes, while others may not yet be available in the current build.

If Reforging is not yet active, it should be in an upcoming build. We want to give players a chance to try out the new feature. With all of the class changes going in, Reforging will allow players the opportunity to customize their gear a bit more before Cataclysm actually ships. It will also allow you to add Mastery to existing items if you so choose.

World Changes / New Race and Class combinations in Patch 4.0.1
The world will not be changing in patch 4.0.1. We are planning to apply those changes in patch 4.0.3 shortly before Cataclysm launch.

[...] New race/class combinations and changes to the old world (including quests) should be patch 4.0.3. I know it's kind of confusing since we typically release one major patch right before the release of the next expansion. In this case, many of the systems changes will be added in 4.0.1, while a lot of content changes will be added in 4.0.3.

The expansion will then provide players with access to the new races, new zones, level 85 cap, flight in Azeroth, Archaeology, etc.

Reduced XP from 70 to 80
This is still a possibility, but it's probably not something we're going to do immediately with the release of Cataclysm.

Guild XP for boss kills
Guild xp for boss kills is scaled on a few factors.

- Boss level
- Normal / Heroic
- Amount of guild members present (more xp for raids, since they are limited to once a week)

Hope this helps.

Spamming cheap heals in Cataclysm
Right now on the Beta videos a lot of the healers seem to be spamming the weak "Heal" for 90% of the time. So spamming is ok and we are expected to spam for most of the fight as long as what we're spamming is a weak spell? is this truly what is intended for Cata healers?
No, that's not the intent. We made those heals very cheap so that healers wouldn't be in constant terror of running out of mana. We also are making the normal modes easier than the heroic modes. You'll have to pair the right heal for the right situation to a greater degree in heroic modes. I think part of what you're seeing is that healers are using the base heal because they can get away with it. It's also possible that in our effort to distinguish them from the more expensive heals that we made the base heals too cheap or efficient.

Mage
Arcane Mastery
According to Kavan on EJ, this theory of aiming to maintain your mana above some percentage is wrong anyways. If there was a magical percentage, it would be 40% because the idea is to gradually ramp up your cycle's mps as you get closer and closer to using evocation. What matters is the time at which your evocation comes off cooldown, not some magical percentage point at which mastery becomes more or less effective.
I think that's more accurate. Generally speaking, the approach is something along the lines of...

Evocation and mana gem are available at the start so you burn some mana quickly, use gem and dps cooldowns, burn more down to 40%, evoc back to 100%, play conservatively until mana cooldowns are available, burn more, then come back up and play conservatively, then nearing the end of the fight you try to time your burn down once again to match the end of the fight.

I like arcane mastery because it adds some depth to an otherwise shallow spec. It changes the way I play mid encounter in a controlled way as opposed to stupid stuff like hot streak where I just hope for the best. I will be making some mistakes (none as dumb as waiting until 20% mana to evocate or using arcane missiles every time it's up LULZ), gradually over time I'll get bored and look into / math out minor details and make fewer/smaller mistakes.
Yeah, that. My gut says it'll be very hard for players to perfectly optimize their fights since optimal behavior will be different from fight to fight and further vary based on mastery level, but most players will (hopefully) be able to use general guidelines to get reasonable results from the spec.

Warrior
Slam Scaling
It's not important to keep Slam scaling with haste so long as Arms scales with haste. It's only a problem if you'd get to the point of dropping Slam from your rotation or something, which we think is unlikely. We'll make sure Heroic Strike never eclipses Slam. Heroic Strike isn't supposed to be a button you're ever excited about pushing at the expense of something else. It's just there so the rage doesn't go to waste.

Blood Frenzy
That Blood Frenzy changes lets us give Arms as much rage as needed from haste to make sure that haste is valuable from the resource-generation side. It's already valuable from the damage side -- it is not the case that increasing haste is a dps loss for Arms. I realize you might have made this post before mine in the beta forum. The challenge of communicating in two places at once.

Arms Rotation
The Arms rotation is Rend, Colossus Smash, Mortal Strike and Slam, with Overpower and additional Colossus Smash procs, and Heroic Strike as a rage dump.

Article Destination

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
For instance, a player has 3000 Emblems of Triumph, and 1200 Emblems of Frost

Rofl, someone in my guild ( Back in may ) Had 350 Frost