• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OLED and Display Port

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well ive seen some things pointing in the directing as DP becoming our standard of video connectivity but i wanted to know how soon. And will this be coupled with OLED screens?

Im sure weve all seen this pic
And i was wondering how long it will be before this beaut will be on my desk :toast:

Processor amd phenom 2 x4 955 @3.8
Motherboard asus m4n68t v2
Cooling tx2 cooler
Memory kingston hyperx blu 1600mhz
Video Card(s) gtx460
Storage 300gb+320gb+500gb
Display(s) targa 19"
Case black
Audio Device(s) audigy 2
Power Supply 700 watt generic brand
Software win 7 64bit
that looks sweet . but they will cost a few grand when they come out

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I thought I'd jump in here instead of making a new thread, to give some comments on OLED displays.

When we first saw OLED, the screens were small, very small, but very impressive with their ability to be bent, torqued and even submerged. It almost seemed to good to be true, and the idea of them reaching a size of a common television or business display at 40" seemed like something for far in the future.

However, I have a really close tie-in with the U.K.s largest A/V distributor, and they've been promised by a few manufacturers that by the end of 2009, they will be getting 40" or larger OLED screens, and under 1000 GBP in cost!

The problem that OLED presents, and something you don't often see when they are advertised or exhibited, is that they still need a box or a unit to house the connectivty and circuit boards, as well as the display ports and etc. This is true both for televisions and computer monitors. It's nice that you can slap a millimeter thickness screen anywhere on your wall, but it must still have be wired to a box somewhere else.

The other thing to note, is that visual performance wise, OLED is not what they make it out to be. The basic rule of thumb here is that OLED is about 'green' and saving energy, not about performance.

CFL and RGB LED will always be better visually speaking. The problem is that RGB LED is not yet an industry standard because of the cost, but that will change. TN Film TFT monitors have come a long way in the last few years, and soon they will make a fairly significant leap in both performance AND energy savings, so much so, that OLED (for large screen sizes) will most likely end up a novelty.

The only real market for OLED, is in embedded applications, such as phones, Ipods, Blackberries, gas station pumps? etc.

Also, as an added note, supporting the advancement of TN Film : PVA and ISPS are by now considered old technology, ones that won't be getting any more support from manufacturers. The real benefits of PVA/ISPS is the color output. It is noticeably better than TN Film of old, but again that will change, especially with RGB LED monitors. The other factor of PVA/ISPS, the viewing angles, is relevant in some applications, such as display monitors in a public area, where people view it from all angles. The problem is, that they design the viewing angles based on text, not color aspects. Which is why, no matter how high the viewing angles, or the quality of the screen, you will always lose color saturation/tint/hue when viewing outside of the margin of error.

For home use, where 98% of the time you view the monitor from straight on, viewing angles are an irrelevant factor.

And of course, even the lowest PVA/ISPS latency, from 5-18ms, can be noticeable in a negative way.

With that in mind, we need to get over this hump that TN Film is for low quality monitors only, as it will be the first technology to bring RGB LED into the mainstream, and also do everything ISPS does but better.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Oh ya ...The people I work for made that technology and hold the patents!;):toast:;)

K
O
D
A
K
:)

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
I thought I'd jump in here instead of making a new thread, to give some comments on OLED displays.

When we first saw OLED, the screens were small, very small, but very impressive with their ability to be bent, torqued and even submerged. It almost seemed to good to be true, and the idea of them reaching a size of a common television or business display at 40" seemed like something for far in the future.

However, I have a really close tie-in with the U.K.s largest A/V distributor, and they've been promised by a few manufacturers that by the end of 2009, they will be getting 40" or larger OLED screens, and under 1000 GBP in cost!

The problem that OLED presents, and something you don't often see when they are advertised or exhibited, is that they still need a box or a unit to house the connectivty and circuit boards, as well as the display ports and etc. This is true both for televisions and computer monitors. It's nice that you can slap a millimeter thickness screen anywhere on your wall, but it must still have be wired to a box somewhere else.

The other thing to note, is that visual performance wise, OLED is not what they make it out to be. The basic rule of thumb here is that OLED is about 'green' and saving energy, not about performance.

CFL and RGB LED will always be better visually speaking. The problem is that RGB LED is not yet an industry standard because of the cost, but that will change. TN Film TFT monitors have come a long way in the last few years, and soon they will make a fairly significant leap in both performance AND energy savings, so much so, that OLED (for large screen sizes) will most likely end up a novelty.

The only real market for OLED, is in embedded applications, such as phones, Ipods, Blackberries, gas station pumps? etc.

Also, as an added note, supporting the advancement of TN Film : PVA and ISPS are by now considered old technology, ones that won't be getting any more support from manufacturers. The real benefits of PVA/ISPS is the color output. It is noticeably better than TN Film of old, but again that will change, especially with RGB LED monitors. The other factor of PVA/ISPS, the viewing angles, is relevant in some applications, such as display monitors in a public area, where people view it from all angles. The problem is, that they design the viewing angles based on text, not color aspects. Which is why, no matter how high the viewing angles, or the quality of the screen, you will always lose color saturation/tint/hue when viewing outside of the margin of error.

For home use, where 98% of the time you view the monitor from straight on, viewing angles are an irrelevant factor.

And of course, even the lowest PVA/ISPS latency, from 5-18ms, can be noticeable in a negative way.

With that in mind, we need to get over this hump that TN Film is for low quality monitors only, as it will be the first technology to bring RGB LED into the mainstream, and also do everything ISPS does but better.

Good and informed post. I think though when you consider side by side a S-PVA or S-IPS along side with even the BEST TN film monitor, especially after getting used to the before, you find it hard to go back to a TN Films bad color.

TN film has made advancements, but the color STILL sucks like black colors. Il save and find a good deal on a IPS or PVA thanks. They have made advancements also.

EDIT: Forgot to add also, that the OPs monitor looks nice, but really its a crappy Dell TN film monitor with glass on the front. NOT SOMETHING WORK THE $1000 PRICE TAG IT HAS. (havent checked recently on price though)