• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OpenAI Considers Exit From Europe - Faces Planned Legislation from Regulators

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
OpenAI's CEO, Sam Altman, is currently exploring the UK and Europe on a PR-related "mini" world tour, and protesters have been following these proceedings with much interest. UK news outlets have reported that a demonstration took place outside of a university building in London yesterday, where the UCL Events organization hosted Altman as part of a fireside discussion about the benefits and problems relating to advanced AI systems. Attendees noted that Altman expressed optimism about AI's potential for the creation of more jobs and reduction in inequality - despite calls for a major pause on development. He also visited 10 Downing Street during the British leg of his PR journey - alongside other AI company leaders - to talk about potential risks (originating from his industry) with the UK's prime minister. Discussed topics were reported to include national security, existential threats and disinformation.

At the UCL event, Altman touched upon his recent meetings with European regulators, who are developing plans for advanced legislation that could lead to targeted laws (applicable to AI industries). He says that his company is "gonna try to comply" with these potential new rules and agrees that some form of regulation is necessary: "something between the traditional European approach and the traditional US approach" would be preferred. He took issue with the potential branding of large AI models (such as OpenAI's ChatGPT and GPT-4 applications) as "high risk" ventures via the European Union's AI Act provisions: "Either we'll be able to solve those requirements or not...If we can comply, we will, and if we can't, we'll cease operating… We will try. But there are technical limits to what's possible."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Good. Between his open crypto scam stealing people bio data and his pushes to legislate chatGPT as the only AI, its obvious that Sam Altman is another Sam Bankman, and shouldnt be trusted. Well, nobody that is partnered with and gets funding from MicroShaft should be trusted, but you get my point.
I'd rather worry in time than when I find my students on the obituary pages.
Paranoia is no fun. You should see a therapist.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
This won't stop what is already happening. But there clearly will be some attempts at regulation.

Good. Between his open crypto scam stealing people bio data and his pushes to legislate chatGPT as the only AI, its obvious that Sam Altman is another Sam Bankman, and shouldnt be trusted. Well, nobody that is partnered with and gets funding from MicroShaft should be trusted, but you get my point.

It's also really hard to take anyone seriously who uses words like "MicroShaft".

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
At least somebody is taking the ChatGPT thing seriously. This is going to upend entire industries and traditional job roles whether the technology is actually ready or not. It needs the brakes pumped.
I doubt that, its only as good as its dataset and at most ChatGTP will be is an AI troll with how much misinformation is out there. It will speed up some functions in day to day life but will still need to be overseen by humans for a while. Now if for some reason the internet magically got rid of false information then, yes, it would be damn right scary.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I doubt that, its only as good as its dataset and at most ChatGTP will be is an AI troll with how much misinformation is out there. It will speed up some functions in day to day life but will still need to be overseen by humans for a while. Now if for some reason the internet magically got rid of false information then, yes, it would be damn right scary.
It's damn scary just because of the misinformation potential alone.

That, and AI generated spam. Ooh, fun.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
This won't stop what is already happening. But there clearly will be some attempts at regulation.

It's also really hard to take anyone seriously who uses words like "MicroShaft".
*neeerrrr* Actshually I cant take you sherioushly unlesh you ushe proper namesh *neeerrrr*

That, and AI generated spam. Ooh, fun.
Man you guys clutch that pearl any harder and it'll shatter.

This. I'm not worried about AI taking over our police, military's and weapons, it's the disinformation that has the potential for complete yet structured chaos. We've gone too far. Skynet is becoming a more likely possibility every day...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Man you guys clutch that pearl any harder and it'll shatter.
I guess you like spam? Spam and disinformation, it's part of a complete breakfast!

unlesh you ushe proper namesh *neeerrrr*
If you like being taken seriously, yeah. It's basically a neckbeard stereotype to use childish insults like that, it's not like I'm calling you out for mispronouncing an anime character, this is just the way people communicate.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Well, about that...

We should be connecting the dots here. AI is the next step, the current mental health crisis however is increasingly caused by technology and consumerism related to technology. We went from mobile phone to social media and it has been a terrible blow to society and mental health. AI takes it a few steps further, and is non-transparent about how it gets there.

Europe really is trying to legislate itself into oblivion and become a museum. It's a similar situation to Project Manhattan - If USA didn't develop and drop the A-bombs, Germans would, at some point, figure it out and do it themselves. Or ruskies, which would have been even worse. If Europe cripples AI research and usage, it will fall behind the rest of the world even more than it does now. In a decade or two there will be no serious research and development done without AI being used in some capacity. Hell, it's nothing new, many advanced circuits are designed with machine learning tools for years if not decades now.

Wye

This new sorcery called steam engine spells doom on the humans. Doom I tell you! The machines will steal our jobs and our souls. I beg you to put a stop to them now before it is too late, before our kids will suffer.

Oh wait, it is not 1712? It does seem the history is repeating.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's very good when used properly.

not having developed its knowledge through empiricism gives it inherent weakness, which shows at the advanced level of questions I throw at it, useless database

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
This. I'm not worried about AI taking over our police, military's and weapons, it's the disinformation that has the potential for complete yet structured chaos. We've gone too far. Skynet is becoming a more likely possibility every day...

Disinformation needs a good hard look and re-evaluation at the Federal level within the US.
I get freedom of speech, but purposefully disseminating disinformation is dangerous and should have consequences.

Opinions are always debatable, but facts never should be.

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I'm speaking about current events specifically within the country that should be considered general fact, but it's fine line without getting all political.
I'll just stop because the premise of that is a bit too intrinsic in nature.

I get freedom of speech, but purposefully disseminating disinformation is dangerous and should have consequences.
This already exists in legal code. Companies and persons of influence can face civil and even criminal troubles if they deliberately state false or misleading information. For example, Shaq and the like facing legal troubles for the involvement in those cryptocoin scandals.

Opinions are always debatable, but facts never should be.
Fully agree!

Can you give me a single fact that is irrefutable to your knowledge?
I can give you many. Example:

Fact.
The Sun emits light and matter every moment of every day.

Fact:
The substance commonly known as "Water" is comprised of molecules which contain the elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Fact:
An atom of Hydrogen contains only one Electron and can not be made to carry two Electrons.

See how easy that is?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This already exists in legal code. Companies and persons of influence can face civil and even criminal troubles if they deliberately state false or misleading information. For example, Shaq and the like facing legal troubles for the involvement in those cryptocoin scandals.

Fully agree!

I can give you many. Example:

Fact.
The Sun emits light and matter every moment of every day.

Fact:
The substance commonly known as "Water" is comprised of molecules which contain the elements Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Fact:
An atom of Hydrogen contains only one Electron and can not be made to carry two Electrons.

See how easy that is?

well I 100% agree with you those are facts, however, I know a cynic philosopher might come back and say

1. light? that is percieved by our eyes with our species, technically speaking it could appear as darkness being emitted to some species - depending how their empirical relationship is with the world around them. light is a word by the English language, what is light? can you explain it? why is it so wonderful? why is the Sun the life source for everything, but the only way we can describe it is fusion reactions? surely it is more than just the sum of its parts, when we study the Cosmos fully?

2. I'm not sure wha a cynic philosopher in ancient times would say to you hear, perhaps they would ask if there is an infinite regress problem with breaking down water into anything more than its whole, for example, how do you know there is not something that makes up hydroge, and oxygen, how small can you go? what if it is infinite, so now its just a problem of etymology.

3. I would use the same argument as number 2 for the elctron atom, perhaps humans lack the understanding to see the bigger picture of why the electron is so special in the Cosmos, the more lenses we see the Cosmos through the more we understand, perhaps there are still lenses we have not looked though, so perhaps this is true for now, but not in the future.

FYI, I AGREE WITH YOU, i just am playing devils advocate based on my study of phenomenology, a sub-field of philosophy... mixed in with some ancient cynic philoosphy (cynics of ancient times means something different than the word now just side note)