• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OPNs for At Least Twelve Desktop AMD "Renoir" APUs Decoded

This is what tilted Nintendo to use the Tegra X1.
I couldn't draw any parallels. Mind sharing if you had pointers between them?
Tegra again, is not a high power chip in my eyes. You only need to go into multicycle register scheduling if you have such lots of shaders that it becomes a losing game to schedule vectors, losing latency to perform the amount of work. Just because you can, doesn't validate you should. Small gpus on the other hand cannot shuffle between so much work simultaneously anyway. Everything is serial by nature, rather than schedule.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Take a look at what yuzu and Ryujinx are doing to emulate the Tegra GPU, you would be surprised.

Take a look at what yuzu and Ryujinx are doing to emulate the Tegra GPU, you would be surprised.
I need your pointers, if you wouldn't mind.

I looked at yuzu and am not surprised. Nvidia and their extensions. And I don't mean in a cynical manner. It has been present since an undercover developer anonymously stated the state of the industry by naming them Vendor A and B.
I still hold the notion, treating mobile gpus as big gpus is besides the point. We are trying to make the most of active registers, nothing more. Having to schedule 2 cycles worth of data is great for instruction latency which frees up cycles. The gpu suddenly has twice the register fidelity in instruction sequencing. Using all registers for a single workload versus 5 different workloads with only a quarter of the registers active, you get the picture.
This is not the point in a 512 shader machine, but in a 4096 shader big die, you bet you could do better than the same automatic compiler just interleaving work and not looking out to shader runtime. You cannot expect memory to be the slowest proponent indefinitely. If it goes fast, you need a proper driver in the seat.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
The NVN driver helps a lot with that, and that's the main problem in giving support to other vendors in yuzu. Nvidia basically did their own Vulkan, but better, with it. That's why you see the emulator using any nasty Nvidia extension whenever possible, that's just the closest to native hardware.
I love that the Switch can decode ASTC textures on the fly with no performance loss, and a desktop PC with an RTX Titan takes 17 seconds to finish the same task.

I still need your reference. It is such a sore blindspot for me. I have never looked at it in the perspective of its qualities. Yes, extensions and hardware assets are key, but I find it a niche market. Notice how they word the inordinate amount of coding challenge? I cannot make the mental jump to where this falls into place. You are literally asking AMD to be Nvidia, it seems to me at this point.

'A gpu is not an SoC' - that is what I'm getting from this. It warrants an explanation, imo.
I love that the Switch can decode ASTC textures on the fly with no performance loss, and a desktop PC with an RTX Titan takes 17 seconds to finish the same task.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Well, Intel includes an ASTC decoder on all their graphic products, gen9 or newer.
What I mean is, software kills hardware. Sony did their own driver for the PS4, to avoid using the AMD ones, and rumour says that the Wii U used somthing closer to mesa than to the AMD driver. The GPU can only be as good as the software behind it.

The GPU can only be as good as the software behind it.
That is the part that isn't clicking for me. I take it as an exercise of hardware. It looks quite the opposite for me. I could care less about software. Atsc could be the best extension, I would still consider it some sort of texture and that would have been the end for me. I dunno if that rings any bells of illiteracy. I'm literally arguing for generalized computing and hardware being the proponent for it. Maybe I like to think of overcoming inefficiency not in a specific sense. Such ideals of bridging barriers across generations, why is that not 'compute graphics' alright?

Last edited:

ARF

Leaked possible SKUs Renoir with Zen 2 and Vega.

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G 8/16 3.6 GHz 4.45 GHz DDR4-3200 Vega 8 CUs 2100 MHz 65W
AMD Ryzen 5 4400G 6/12 Vega 7 CUs 1900 MHz 65W
AMD Ryzen 3 4200G 4/8 3.8 GHz 4.10 GHz Vega 6 CUs 1700 MHz 65W