1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overclocking my m3a32-mvp

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sinister_steve, May 3, 2008.

1. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I am totally new to this but want to figure out how to overclock my mobo and cpu and ram...Ive read all the posts on here about this mobo but still cant quite get a grasp on what to do..ive updated my bios to newest version...So can someone who can step by step me with this please...Thanks...Steve

2. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Steve,

You need to give us some more specifics to find out what kind of voltages we can push on your components, what kind of timings the ram is going to run best at, and it will give us an average idea of how far your front-side bus (FSB) is going to go.

Examples -->
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5
    MOBO: ASUS M3A32-MVP Socket AM2/AM2+

sinister_steve says thanks.
  3. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, found your CPU in another thread, argh ... make one thread and stick with it dude ;)!

MOBO: ASUS M3A32-MVP AM2/AM2+
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ AM2 (200x15 = 3000MHz Stock)
    RAM: ????

So, what memory are you running in your system?

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    info

Hey man im running DDR2 two 2 gig sticks of transcend

5. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, Transcend makes multiple types and speeds of DDR2 memory, but luckily each of them run timings of 5-5-5-# with 1.8V.

Gives me a basic idea of what kind of performance you will get out of these.

My only other question at this point is: are they PC-5300 (DDR667) or PC-6400 (DDR800)?

6. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here, these may help:

PC-5300 (DDR667) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26943
    PC-6400 (DDR800) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26944

I noticed that they don't have any ram sinks, you may want to pick some of these up locally, as the only place I can find them online is TigerDirect. These will REALLY help to keep your sticks cool, especially when overclocking, and your case temps begin to rise. Here is a link:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=496&name=Memory-Coolers

7. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Be back in the morning dude, its 11:00pm over in Ontario, I know your only at 8:00pm in B.C. there ;)

I'll start you off with a few quick tips and pointers:
    - Overclocking involves changing the Front-Side Bus (FSB) speed from 200 to a faster number
    - All AMD CPUs have a semi-unlocked multiplier, with the exception of the FX series which have a fully-unlocked multiplier, so yours will go from 1 to 15 (as you are 200 x 15 at stock speeds)
    - There is a bridge that goes between the CPU and the NorthBridge (this is the device that communicates with the rest of the system -- very vaguely defined) called the HyperTransport, this uses a seperate multiplier that is also linked to the FSB, and it CANNOT go over 1000!
    - The system will only be pushed so far at stock voltages of 1.350 Volts (CPU) & 1.8 Volts (Mem), at this point there isn't going to be enough power to run all of the components in the CPU any more, and it will start to crash on you
    - You have a choice at this point, increase voltages and keep going, or back it off a little bit. Warning, increasing voltages also increases temperature! This is your only 'real' problem when overclocking! I would not go past 1.55V on the CPU and 2.1V on the memory.

Only make changes of about 10MHz, if the system does not boot for whatever reason, do NOT panic! Unplug the power from the rear, hold the power button for 10 Seconds, and try to boot again (this works on most boards they recognize the OC failed and reinit defaults). If that fails, find the CMOS reset jumper, and use it to 'short' the CMOS. After each change, you want to make sure that the system will POST, and load windows. I would HIGHLY recommend downloading and burning Memtestx86+ to a CD. Allow the system to boot into Memtest before loading windows, and let it run several full loops (4 or 5) without errors before loading windows. Also find a copy of OCCTPT which will test your overclock for stability once you are in windows.

One last note, each component is different, do NOT go by what other people have gotten. Yours may be the same, better, or worse. It is the luck of the draw.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  8. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    lol wut?
    and my overclocked settings are more stable than my stock settings

Last edited: May 9, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    General rule of thumb hat ;)

Some boards don't have any problems passing 1000MHz on the HyperTransport , but some do

That is something he can play with later, totally depends on what his FSB reaches, I guess :)

10. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    2gb Mem Std 240p Ddr2 Dimm 256m X64 128m X8/ddr2 667/5-5-5

Hi there thanks much for doing this with me..ok first i do have mem sinks for my system ram,is this what you figured I needed to get? and second here is the fill specs on my system ram ....2GB MEMORY STD 240P DDR2 DIMM 256M X64 128M X8/DDR2 667/5-5-5....oK WILL START WHEN YOU GIVE ME MORE DIRECTIONS...THANKS...sTEVE

11. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so its this one, the PC-5300 (DDR2-667):

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26943

I've looked all over the internet, Canadian sites, and I cannot find this ram available with heatspreaders already installed? Does your ram look like it does in the link above, or does it look like it does in the link below:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26941

Notice in the top link, the green PCB, and black ICs are visible. These make up your RAM and do all the work. Notice in the bottom link, the green PCB is barely visible, and a silver heatspreader is clipped over the black ICs.

I feel this is very important, especially when overclocking (and even when not overclocking), as it helps everything to work together and keep things cool. Plus they look SA-WEET ;)!

12. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    ram

Hey there my mobo has heat sinks for the ram..the ram is just regular looking..

13. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    heres the link where you can see the ram heat sinks http://www.shopbot.ca/p-85862.html

14. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, interesting design!

I can see that there are securing screws present to change the width of the cooling system; as long as the plates are pressing against the ICs, you are good to go ;). The design is even better that they can also fit around memory that already has heatsinks installed as well :)!

Okay, I think we are ready to start pushing the system. Do you have a goal set in mind?

15. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have time to spare then read this:

16. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very nice little intro that you have found there. Very informative!

I have a few other questions, just kind of dawned on me, Steve...

1. Are you running the stock AM2 cooler?
    2. What are your current idle/load temperatures?

To find your temps, download and run OCCT 2.0.0, and let it go for 15-30 minutes. You will find what your temperature spikes and stays at rather quickly.

Lets hope that it is in the 40-50 range. After your overclock, you may find yourself in the 50-60 range, and this is acceptable. If we start pushing over 60, you may want to look into aftermarket cooling.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 is a very sweet cooler, works well, and comes highly recommended on these forums. Cheap too, average $30.00, but almost $20.00 if you look around.

17. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    temps

Hi there The cpu is stock cooling but my antc case with all its fans cool things down a lot..and the temp for my cpu at this moment is 30c sometimes when its hot in here gets to 37c...thanks

18. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ya thoes are my idle temps here are my load temps....43c

19. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Excellent, those look great, we shouldn't have any problems keeping it under 60c :)!

20. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Next step is to download and burn Memtestx86+ from www.memtest.org so that we can test changes before booting into Windows.

It will burn onto a CD, but will NOT have any contents within Windows Explorer. It is a boot-only disc. This is OK :).

21. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Time to get familiar with your system BIOS.

Look for the FrontSide Bus (200Mhz - XXXMhz), CPU Multiplier (1x - 15x), HTT Multiplier (1x - 5x), PCI-Express Lanes (16x UP and 16X DOWN), and finally Voltages (1.35V CPU, 1.8V Memory, Etc).

I will try to find some pictures of your BIOS to help you (and me) along the way.

22. SirKeldon

SirKeldon

Thanks Received:
    I'll aim for 3,2Ghz under stock cooling (even your case is a good ventilated one ... a better HSF it's almost an imperative for a little bit of safety, you can grab some really good and cheap one for 20-30$ plus 5$ of compound, my recommendation it's Arctic Cooling MX-2 ... both things together will really outperform the stock cooler) and a lil bit of overclock to the RAM to start.

After that, i'll focus on the primary settings, i know this Motherboard can be a really pain in the ass since it's full of strange and not-documented settings (i was new to overclocking two months ago too) ... let's go to JumperFree Configuration:

FSB Frequency: 215
    Processor Voltage: 1.4250 (i'll start with that one and if not 1.45 but CHECK your temps, specially if you decide to stay with stock cooling)
    CPU-NB HT Link Speed: 1Ghz
    DDR Voltage: 1.9V
    Northbridge Voltage: Manual
    HyperTransport Voltage: 1.40V
    Core/PCIe Voltage: 1.14V-1.16V

Leave the rest on auto ... now join the DRAM Configuration allocated in the same JumperFree section:

Memory Clock Mode: Manual
    Memclock Value: 667Mhz
    2T Mode: Enabled
    DRAM Timing Mode: DCT 0
    CAS Latency (CL): 5
    TRCD: 5
    TRP: 5
    TRAS: 17 (it will be 15 ... if you're using 1002 BIOS version, this is an imperative, it will add 2 to the desired value ... after booting check it with CPU-Z)
    TRC: 20
    leave the rest on Auto

If posts and you can boot into windows, congratulations, do some primary tests and check the partial stability of the system, if crashes don't worry and do one thing, go into the BIOS again and set the DDR Voltage to 1.8V and Memclock Speed to 533Mhz, that way your RAM won't be overclocked anymore and we could focus just on the CPU overclock, if keeps crashing at 215x15 lower your FSB Frequency to 210 and try again, if 210x15 it's not stable neither ... keep us informed, we'll try to see what happens!

Good luck :toast:

23. sinister_steve New Member

Thanks Received:
    oc settings

Hey there thanks man...I will give this a go here ...Steve

24. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Replied to your PM, Steve.

Good night, and I will talk to you tomorrow!

25. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, the long awaited settings, Steve!

I spent a few hours researching overclocks on the AMD 6000+ AM2 processors. They don't seem to have much overclocking headroom, due to the processors pretty much already being at the maximum supported speed of the die! They also already run fairly hot (a little too hot for my tastes) when using stock cooling, but luckily don't heat up too much when overclocked, about 5-10 degrees C through all of the reviews I read.

Expect the processor to top out around 3250MHz , some getting up to the 3500MHz mark though, it's all the luck of the draw (and cooling).

Code:
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2/AM2+
    AMD AthlonX2 6000+ AM2 3000MHz (200x15) 1.35v +/- 0.05v
    Transcend PC-5300 DDR-667 (333x2) 5-5-5-15 1.8v +/- 0.1v

ADVANCED -> JUMPERFREE CONFIGURATION

AI Overclocking -- Manual
    FSB Frequency -- 200 (205 - 210 - 215 - 220 - 225 - 230 - Perhaps Higher)
    PCIE Frequency -- 100 (100 - DO NOT CHANGE!)
    Processor Prequency Multiplier -- x15 (FSBxMULTI = SPEED in MHz)
    Processor Voltage -- 1.3500v (1.5000v)
    Processor NV Voltage -- 1.5000v (1.6000v)
    CPU VDDA Voltage -- 2.7v (2.7v)
    CPU-NB HT Link Speed -- 1000 MHz (1000 MHz -- 800MHz at higher speeds if failing)
    DDR Voltage -- 1.80v (1.80v -- No OC so it should be fine)
    Northbridge Voltage -- Auto (Manual)
      HyperTransport Voltage -- 1.30v (1.40v)
      Core/PCIe Voltage -- 1.20v (1.28v)
      NB PCIE PLL -- 2.0v (2.0v)
    Southbridge Voltage -- 1.20v (1.28v)
    Auto Xpress -- Auto
    CPU Tweak -- Enabled
      *** Memory Configuration ***
      *** DRAM Timings ***
    PLL1 Spread Spectrum -- Disabled
    PLL2 Spread Spectrum -- Disabled
    AI Clock Skew for Channel A -- Auto
    AI Clock Skew for Channel B -- Auto

ADVANCED -> JUMPERFREE CONFIGURATION -> MEMORY CONFIGURATION

Bank Interleaving -- Auto
    Channel Interleaving -- Auto
    MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID -- Disabled
    Memory Hole Remapping -- Enabled (Req'd for 3+ GB of RAM)
    Unganged Mode support -- Disabled
    Power Down Enable -- Disabled
    Read Delay -- Auto
    DCQ Bypass Maximum -- Auto

ADVANCED -> JUMPERFREE CONFIGURATION -> DRAM Timings

Memory Clock Mode -- Manual
      Memclock Value -- 667 MHz (Or as close to as you can get ;)
    2T Mode -- Enabled
    DRAM Timing Mode -- DCT 0
      CAS -- 5
      TRCD -- 5
      TRP -- 5
      TRAS -- 15
      tWR -- Auto
      tRFC0 -- Auto
      tRFC1 -- Auto
      tRFC2 -- Auto
      tRFC3 -- Auto
      TRC -- Auto
      TRRD -- Auto
      tWTR -- Auto
      tRTP -- Auto
      tRWTTO -- Auto

Every time you change the FSB, be sure to test the system settings in Memtestx86 BEFORE loading windows. If the system does not like the settings, it is very likely that you will corrupt data, and that means a reload of windows :(! Once you make, ohh say, 5 passes in Memtestx86 (this may take a few minutes) boot to Windows and let OCCT run for an hour. Watch your temps in OCCT! If you start getting into the mid-high 70's I would knock back the overclock a little bit, until a new cooler can be picked up.

Note, you do not have to boot to windows if you pass Memtestx86, and you still want to push your system further. Also, expect problems to start arising around the 220MHz mark (220x15 = 3300MHz). If you make it further, GREAT :D, if not your processor will need more voltage, and definitely a better cooler!

If your system decides NOT to boot during a FSB change, don't panic. Turn it off, unplug the power cord, hold the button for 10 seconds, plug the power back in, and boot it up. Change the FSB, and try again. If it still fails to boot, find the 'reset cmos jumper' and change the pins while the system is off, put the jumper back, and boot it back up.

Let us know how the OC goes, and where it stops! Then we can find out what your maximum CPU speed is, and find a way to max out your FSB. So 220x15 = 3300MHz but 300x12 = 3300MHz , the difference being that your whole system is running 80Mhz faster at 300 ... ;)