• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OVH Strasbourg fire

Apparently there had been a big fire at OVH's Strasbourg facility, their entire SBG2 datacenter has been totalled.
Hope y'all had/have backups.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Any service worth its salt will have mirrored sites just in case of such of an event.

A quick look with Google shows OVH has 17 data centers in France alone, and 32 globally. One center going down is little more than a hiccup.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Don't use OVH but blows my mind they had 4 DCs on the same premises.

Hope y'all had/have backups.

so do they:

If your production is in Strasbourg, we recommend that you activate your Business Recovery Plan."

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
blows my mind they had 4 DCs on the same premises.
I wondered about that too. I cannot imagine that would mean they are all co-located in the same big room - at least without some sort of significant fire-breaks between them. They should be on totally isolated power sources and cooling systems too. If that is not the case, I would be moving my data to another provider.

The report said of the 4 data centers at that location, one was destroyed and the other damaged. But it does not say if the 4 data centers are physically separated and isolated in some way, or just virtually. I would hope not virtually.

As far as activating their Business Recovery Plan, I have to assume that is to expedite getting back into production. If that one location is the only site for those businesses (meaning there is no mirrored site for their data) then again, if I was the business owner or CIO, I would be looking for a new cloud storage provider.

I don't know, but it just seems odd to me too that the place would turn into an inferno so quickly. It makes me think the building was not built initially as a data center. It seems to me the building itself should have been constructed with fire-proof and/or retardant materials, and there should have been a robust fire suppressant system in the server rooms. If the building was initially built as a big wooden warehouse that was then converted into these data centers, then there should have been a building built within that building, built to house the data centers.

If there were a bunch of offices in the building too, filled with flammable furniture and other combustible stuff, that office space should have been isolated (with fire blocks) from the server rooms.

For sure, fire suppression in server rooms can be a real challenge - especially since Halon was banned years ago. But if the building was built from the foundation up as a data center for "mission critical" systems, a robust plan and system should have built into it from the foundation up too. I'm just saying - something smells fishy here.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The fire occurred at the OVH Datacenter in Strasbourg, Germany.
what year is this, 1890?
also, some people just learnt it the hard way that offsite backups are recommended for a reason :^]

I used to keep a backup in a Fire Safe but but was too much of a pain the ass to open it every night. Live in a 200 year old dairy barn wih office in the hayloft and keep a "Go Bag" next to night table with shoes, clothes, jacket, wallet flashlight and "that night's backup". Weekly backup is stored off site. Plan for Spring is to set up nightly cross backups to other office.

Daniel15

Luckily all staff were safe and accounted for.

I don't know, but it just seems odd to me too that the place would turn into an inferno so quickly. It makes me think the building was not built initially as a data center.
Have you seen photos of their data center? The crates they had servers in literally look like shipping containers. I doubt they had any serious fire suppression system, fire walls, etc inside those. OVH servers are very cheap, so I guess that's where they cut corners.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am not going to
The crates they had servers in
Crates? That's pretty much a guess on your part. If you look at the picture in my link above, they clearly are buildings that are ablaze. Here's another image. You can see 3 stacked shipping containers to the right. The building is not made of shipping containers.

But even if they are shipping containers, those are steel lined inside and out and so "should" have been easier to contain to just a few.

So while there appears to be shipping containers around the buildings, there's no way of telling if the operational servers are in those containers - unless you read that some where. If so, got a link?

OVH servers are very cheap
Oh? How do you know that?

Daniel15

Oh? How do you know that?
It's the main reason people use OVH - Their prices are very hard to beat in many cases, particularly if you look at their budget brands like Kimsufi. They don't just have cheap virtual servers / VPSes, they also have dedicated servers for less than $10/month (https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml). Sure, they're low-end Atoms, 11-year-old AMD Opterons (Opteron 4122), or 12-year-old Xeons (W3520), but it's still physical hardware sitting in a data center. People don't go to OVH when they need 100% uptime on a high-quality network... They go to OVH when they want cheap servers that mostly work well, on a network that mostly works well (but is often very congested).

So while there appears to be shipping containers around the buildings, there's no way of telling if the operational servers are in those containers - unless you read that some where. If so, got a link?
Not sure about their newer data centers, but they did use shipping containers at one point: https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/06/13/ovh-deploys-container-cube-data-center

The new OVH data center in Strasbourg, France uses a stack of shipping containers to re-create the "Cube" effect the company created in its data center in Roubaix, France. (Photo: OVH)

The French firm OVH is one of the world's largest hosting companies, with more than 120,000 servers. It has also earned a reputation for its innovative data center designs. DCK readers may be familiar with OVH for the innovative Cube-shaped data center it opened last year in Roubaix, France, which houses servers in an exterior corridor built around an open center, allowing for easy airflow through the facility.

Earlier this year OVH opened a new data center in Strasbourg, France that recreates many elements of the cube design using stacks of shipping containers housing servers. The facility features 12 containers, which are stacked three-high in two rows. Outside air enters the facility through louvers in the exterior wall. The air travels through the racks of servers, and then exits the IT corridor via large fans behind the racks, which vent the air outside into the open center.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Kimsufi is reseller. And cheap prices does not imply cheap quality. Hosting is a very competitive business. Just because they have low monthly rates, that in no way implies they cut corners in their facilities in terms of practicality, safety, reliability, etc. Fancy buildings cost money - money that could be used better elsewhere.

There are other indications they might have cut corners. Like their failure to comment on their fire safety practices. That raises suspicions, but it is still too early to come to any conclusions.

As for the Cube effect using containers, I don't see a problem with that - if done right. In fact, it could be a wise, cost effective approach. Buildings out of shipping containers is nothing new.

I think we need to wait until the fire investigation is complete and we see the findings - if we ever do - before we pass judgement and jump to conclusions as to the cause and whether there was a failure in management where they cut corners in safety, or not.

Daniel15

Kimsufi is reseller.
Kimsufi is fully owned by OVH. See OVH's press release from when they originally launched the Kimsufi and SoYouStart brands:
Third Internet hosting provider in the world*, OVH is launching its most recent lines of dedicated servers targeting new markets to keep its growth going. Through 3 distinct brands, “OVH.com”, “So you start” and “Kimsufi”, the hosting provider aims to reach a wider range of users, from fully developed markets (North America, Europe) to emerging ones (South America, Asia, Africa). OVH is now covering every type of business applications of its users.

Kimsufi is still listed as one of OVH's registered trademarks (https://www.ovh.com/world/support/terms-and-conditions/) so I'm fairly sure it's still an OVH brand today, rather than a reseller.

And cheap prices does not imply cheap quality.
When I said their servers are cheap, I was just referring to the price. I guess my sentence was ambiguous.

As for the Cube effect using containers, I don't see a problem with that
Sure, I was just replying to your sentence "there's no way of telling if the operational servers are in those containers - unless you read that some where" with a link showing that they did indeed have servers in shipping containers at some point :)

Edit:
Someone posted a graph of their server's temperature on Twitter... It jumped from 31C to 95C pretty quickly. I'm surprised it was able to collect data for as long as it did.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sure, I was just replying to your sentence "there's no way of telling if the operational servers are in those containers - unless you read that some where" with a link showing that they did indeed have servers in shipping containers at some point :)
Yep. And I appreciate the link. My bad for not referring to my friend, Bing Google first! ;)

System Name Current
Processor i7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Noctua NHD15s
Memory 32GB G.Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 1070Ti
Storage WD SN-850 2TB
Display(s) LG Ultragear 27GL850-B
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic 1000W Titanium
Have rented OVH servers of varying specs for years to host games on dedicated servers, usually through soyoustart or kimsufi brands and from their Montreal location so luckily not impacted by this.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
they don't have at least 3-4 decentral backup servers?
glad i never heard of them..

Daniel15

they don't have at least 3-4 decentral backup servers?
They're a budget unmanaged hosting provider where you're expected to take backups, handle OS upgrades, etc. yourself... I don't know of any budget hosting services that include fully redundant backups as part of their basic service. Apparently they did have a paid backup service, but some of the backups were in the same room, so the backups were destroyed along with the servers

Protip: Don't store your server backups in the same building as the servers.