• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pardon me for asking a course related question, but I don't see any lucene forums anywhere

shivajikobardan

These are the steps of indexing in Lucene given in our syllabus-:

I understand the second step clearly. But I don't understand the first and third step. It's not mentioned clearly in this figure imo. Can you clear my confusion? Plus the sources that I refer don't even mention it like this, they explain it differently. I'm not sure from where this is copied from.
What are we doing in first vs third step as written in that figure text?
Why was indexwriter created first and not used later? Because according to my information that I've collected, you can also use indexwriter to add/remove/update indexes.

I've a good feeling that all of this information is incorrect but this is what's written in my teacher's notes so I'm not 100% sure of it. And even if it's wrong, they'd expect us to write the same thing in exam, so I've to learn it.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
most aren't active and not having posts since a long time.
You would still have a better chance of having it answered there than here. This is a gaming review site and 99.9% of the users here are gamers and non-programmers.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I’m not familiar with that code but what I know about programming and that first step is essentially telling you to write the code that will create a index file on the disk/in memory so the program can write the searchable indexed values into it.

The second step there is telling you to create the object of IndexWriter that is responsible for creating said index by the method described in 3 and I would assume literally using the bolded “code” below 3.

If you are struggling with this perhaps a more core class like programming logic and design would be beneficial, learning the flow and logic of how to break down things into simple yes/no/or/and flow is the foundation of good programming.