• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pat Gelsinger: "Intel Has to be Better at Making CPUs Than That Lifestyle Company"

Does one pay for such ninja-advertisment-for-overhyped-5nm-25W-ARM-chip-that-loses-to-7nm-yet-smaller-15W-4800u, does it work via Apple fans being so much into hyping it into ad nauseum? :kookoo:

"Reportedly" Jesus freaking Christ... :D
1. M1 measures at 119 mm2, 4800U measures at 156 mm2. 156 is not smaller than 119.
2. 4800U does not beat M1 in most single-threaded load. Unless you use x86 emulation.
3. M1's GPU trashes Renoir's. It's just an overkill.
4. Renoir also got 45W H-variant. But it doesn't help.

Conclusion: which parallel universe do you live in?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

"Intel Has to be Better at Making CPUs Than That Lifestyle Company"​

wait, wait... he should take a look at Apple, Razer first

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
Well said. I'm beginning to like this guy already -- unlike their last useless CEO spouting nonsense about growing margins and "leadership products", at least he's acknowledging the problems Intel has. That's already a start, at least. If I had some substantial pocket change laying around, I would definitely be buying some shares in Intel now. They seem to be in the same slump now that AMD were in back around 2013 -- so they have nowhere to go but up with the right leadership. The real questions are -- how long will it take for them to answer AMD, will their new arch be efficient enough to scale down to sub-5W without butchering performance to answer Apple (and will they compete with non-x86 designs) -- and do their future plans include keeping their fabs in the process? I sure hope so, but we'll have to wait and see -- I'm hoping they are back to being competitive by the end of next year (this year is already set in stone and is a lost cause for them for the most part).

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
1. M1 measures at 119 mm2, 4800U measures at 156 mm2. 156 is not smaller than 119.
M1 is on 5nm TSMC< that is 1.84 times denser than 7nm.
So it's "equivalent" 7nm size is 219mm2.

2. 4800U does not beat M1 in most single-threaded load. Unless you use x86 emulation.
It doesn't beat M1 in a handful of benchmark (as there is barely any code you can run natively on that fashion thing.
M1 simply is dysmorphic: it has 4 bigger and 4 smaller cores (while using 1.6 billion transistors, vs 9.8 on 4800u).
Oh, and it also consumes 25W.... :D

3. M1's GPU trashes Renoir's. It's just an overkill.
Only in hidden ad reviews and bazinga benchmarks like geekbench.
Actual games show we are back to early 2000s, when Apple was claiming IBM"s chip was "fastest CPU in the world".

4. Renoir also got 45W H-variant. But it doesn't help.
It doesn't have to help. 4800u, despite being 1.6 times smaller and on inferior node and 15W vs 25W, beats M1 at non synthetics.

Is there evidence that Apple is blocking benchmarks?
Dude.
Have you seen a bad guy in a movie or series, with an iPhone?
Is there evidence that Apple is blocking anything to achieve that?
Could it be... just by incident? :D

All Apple needs to do is prove to its customer base that the M1 Macs are viable upgrades.
"Has to be better" has many ways of "better" when applied to fashion devices. ;)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Mobile phones, tablets, computers and media players isn't hardware?
No I dont, they are convenience tools, computers take hardware, the rest do not. You cant upgrade the graphics card on a phone or a media player or tablets since their hardware is not replaceable.

What would you consider as hardware?
I have a hard time believing people consider a phone as hardware. :shadedshu:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No I dont, they are convenience tools, computers take hardware, the rest do not. You cant upgrade the graphics card on a phone or a media player or tablets since their hardware is not replaceable.

So it's only hardware if it has end user replacable parts and is built on a system of slots and sockets? So a modern laptop with everything soldered is not hardware? What about the Fairphone, which is modular? I think I understand what you're getting at and that you're coming from the perspective of a traditional PC user but that is an incredibly arbritrary approach.

But as I said, in the end the distinction is meaningless.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

However, the initial assertion is not about whether Apple is a hardware or a services company. The original assertion is that the CPU is not a central product in Apple's lineup, while it's supposed to be Intel's bread and butter.
This.

But hardware or software company really isnt a question either. Its clearly hardware. Does iOS or MacOS want to run on anything non Apple?! Only if you hack it. So Apple's software solutions are tailored to sell their hardware. Alwsys have been too.

The only reason their iphone sold and got big was becsuse they werre the only hardware phone with good touch, AND backed by a unique app store model - an ecosystem built for the hardware. The software development is aimed at efficiency and highly controlled 'customer journeys' - it enables their extreme margin on selling underpowered hardware. They always got away with it, because the user experience was well guarded. The M1 is the epitome of profit margin maxed out - they can now fully control that experience and offer the tightest possible hardware setup to suit the way they organize workloads. A big part of that is user experience: as long as the user has the impression of speed, mission accomplished. GUI smoothness is a big one for that.

Going back further, older Macs also were hardware made unique by software. Its the integration with the hardware that makes up Apple's unique selling points. Not the software alone - even if you emulate it on something else it wont usually work quite as well and hassle free.

A phone has more versatile hardware than a desktop PC... and ticks all the boxes: cpu, gpu, storage. It has better connextivity and potentially can also access high performance computing though the cloud.

Ironically, a phone is however much closer to being a CLIENT. Or a terminal for the mainframe. Whatever you call it: it depends on external providers of data to be worth anything over a desktop PC. The desktop PC can be both client and server. It can process locally without burning itself to a crisp or run out of power.

In the end we are talking about dependancy. A PC can do without. A phone exists because of it.

Last edited:
I think what Pat said makes sense. But to turn that into action with results is another. I feel Intel has been asleep for too long, and given the corporate culture from what we read, it will take a lot of effort to do a U turn for this huge truck. So the question is whether it is too late for Intel to get back to the leading position where they used to be? Competition is not just coming from Apple, AMD, but also from all other big corporates that are building their own ARM based processor. With Qualcomm buying out Nuvia, Nvidia buying out ARM, Samsung partnering with AMD on their own SOC, etc, Intel is neck deep in trouble.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Using your own definition, if a phone, media player or tables takes hardware, what does that make Apple?

Using your own definition, if a phone, media player or tables takes hardware, what does that make Apple?
A premium brand, instead of a commodity manufacturer(something Intel has been accusing AMD of in the past, look how the tables turn!).

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Exactly. Intel indeed "has to be better", but can they beat a fresh, unencumbered design while dragging compatibility features dating back to 8086 (that's about 45 years ago)? Is that all that silicon that goes to AVX and heats up like crazy under load worth it?
And if you want a "clean slate", I figure it will be nearly impossible to come up with another in-house instruction set when AArch64 and RISC-V are already around.
I'm glad I'm not tasked with solving this problem, but if this guy can, hats off.

Instruction set is only half, it's the OS that decides things. If it's not familiar windows that 99% of the earth is familiar with than your cpus will only be for specific functions like RISC, etc.

As for Pat, definitely a good person to have at the helm, but he has 40 years in, reminds me of a saying, give someone else a shot at the reins.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Dude.
Have you seen a bad guy in a movie or series, with an iPhone?
Is there evidence that Apple is blocking anything to achieve that?
Could it be... just by incident? :D
So bad guys in movies not using iPhones = Apple blocking benchmarks? These are two entirely different things. One is regarding product placements in motion pictures, the other is software on a storefront. Typically, the bad guys in movies use unidentifiable hardware, because no corporation will sign up for that.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So bad guys in movies not using iPhones = Apple blocking benchmarks? These are two entirely different things. One is regarding product placements in motion pictures, the other is software on a storefront. Typically, the bad guys in movies use unidentifiable hardware, because no corporation will sign up for that.
Nah proprietary ie Ecorp .

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think what Pat said makes sense. But to turn that into action with results is another. I feel Intel has been asleep for too long, and given the corporate culture from what we read, it will take a lot of effort to do a U turn for this huge truck. So the question is whether it is too late for Intel to get back to the leading position where they used to be? Competition is not just coming from Apple, AMD, but also from all other big corporates that are building their own ARM based processor. With Qualcomm buying out Nuvia, Nvidia buying out ARM, Samsung partnering with AMD on their own SOC, etc, Intel is neck deep in trouble.
Pat was at the same Intel that he now supposedly leads. It feels a bit like trying more of the same hoping for a different result. Also, he isnt presenting solutions here, at all, he just FINALLY managed to say "Intel has a problem".

Pats problem is, silicon limitations are not the kind of problems where you can say "admitting you have a problem is half the solution"... Rather its "admittingyou have a problem means evaluating every dot and comma of your technology to hopefully find a way to make it better, or conclude you need a full new engineering process".

Intel has been screwing around now sticking to their old agenda even up until today and is still investing in 10nm which still doesnt perform as desired.

M1 is on 5nm TSMC< that is 1.84 times denser than 7nm.
So it's "equivalent" 7nm size is 219mm2.
You must be completely new to semi process to do such an "equivalent" transformation. As always, it's a bad habit to think you've mastered something by scrapping through online forums.

I/O barely shrinks with process, and I/O alone is taking up a good part of modern SoC. Your 1.84x density only occurs for an ideal infinite gate array, a scenario only possible in CPU cache.

It doesn't beat M1 in a handful of benchmark (as there is barely any code you can run natively on that fashion thing.
M1 simply is dysmorphic: it has 4 bigger and 4 smaller cores (while using 1.6 billion transistors, vs 9.8 on 4800u).
Oh, and it also consumes 25W.... :D
SPECINT2006/2013 and SPECFP2006/2013 is the industry standard and everything. They are written in C and compiles on everything that has a compiler support. They don't freaking care about how you think them.

Only in hidden ad reviews and bazinga benchmarks like geekbench.
Actual games show we are back to early 2000s, when Apple was claiming IBM"s chip was "fastest CPU in the world".
It's your fault to know only hidden ad reviews and geekbench, while there are credible and professional reviewers doing a lot more than geekbench. Go see Anandtech and Phoronix

Oh wait, are there even people using geekbench for GPU?

I don't pay any attention to benchmarks at all.
What impressed me is running emulated Windows X86 Witcher on that thing.
Just to put that in perspective we are not emulating OSX x86 to OSX ARM but straight from Windows x86 and it runs, not perfect but runs.
Witcher 3 is demanding game running natively let alone emulated.
We talking about RISC chips so of course we cutting corners here but the bottom line is I don't care if it's smoke and mirrors as long it performs.
Their MAC OSX x86 apps are usable on M1 unlike Windows for Arm where you can't even use Chrome X86 emulated on ARM running super crappy.
There is a lot of fat on X86 and AMD is already making efforts to trim it by cutting bunch of legacy instructions replacing with FPGA section to reduce transistor count and lower power consumption.
I've been saying it for awhile move the less utilized instruction sets to another chiplet or core makes a whole lot of sense. Save that transistor space for other stuff not every core needs it just placing a bunch of legacy stuff one the last two cores would be sufficient. They don't all need to have the same cache size and structure for that matter either which is another area where things could be adjusted. Core designs don't need to be perfectly symmetrical in their entirety. Some of it can be parallel and symmetrical, but across all cores not so much and it's exactly optimal to have all cores trying to be a jack of all trades that's the opposite of efficient and minimal. Flexible yes efficient and powerful not so much.

Reactions: r9
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

"Intel Has to be Better at Making CPUs Than That Lifestyle Company"​

wait, wait... he should take a look at Apple, Razer first
Pretty sure the lifestyle company he referred to is Apple.

M1 would be a good product if they actually sold the SOC for other companies to build products on instead of tying it in with their own closed ecosystem hardware/software. They won't do that because they are anti-competitive and anti right to repair.

Apple now requires that applications be code signed to run on native m1. How much longer till Apple requires apps from their mac store like they do with iOS?

I can acknowledge that the m1 is fast while also not going anywhere near an Apple product for these reasons- no matter how fast it is.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I was merely asking whether there is an official source that confirms that Apple is blocking bad guys from having iPhones... :D
As there ain't any (or how could a company accomplish that, right? Do you think is it by incident?

Since I see similar situation in 99% of reviews involving Apple, good half of them I find vomit inducing.
Is that orgasmic tone towards the said company just an incident too?

You must be completely new to semi process to do such an "equivalent" transformation. As always, it's a bad habit to think you've mastered something by scrapping through online forums.
You are so kind to bother answering the likes of me, oh the knowledgeable one!

SPECINT2006/2013 and SPECFP2006/2013 is the industry standard and everything.
Yeah, it's a bit dated standard, ain't it? I mean, there is a version of the spec that has "2017" in, which I'd expect to be good 11 years younger, but surely an expert like that would know better.
see Anandtech
Oh, you mean the anandtech I've linked or some... other anndtech? :D

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
In the end the distinction is meaningless to be honest. They make hardware. Are hardware companies - whatever that means - morally superior than software/services companies?

Not sure about any moral superiority BS but the point is the company's focus. Apple's focus isn't hardware, it's using that hardware for an end goal. That's fundamentally different from AMD or Nvidia, which only make hardware to be used by others for whatever end goals they may have.

AMD and Nvidia's sole goal is making the best hardware. Apple's hardware is a means to an end, a minor detail in the broad picture. It's not the main focus. This is the number one problem for bigger companies, in that they expand to the point where lack of focus causes them to output subpar products. Intel's a good example of that.

What Intel is saying here is that they have forgotten their roots. If Intel can't even beat Apple when Intel is supposed to be THE CPU manufacturer, they can't rightfully call themselves much of a CPU focused company anymore.

Being stuck at 14nm for years has got to be some ironic punishment for Intel indeed. :)

Being stuck at 14nm for years has got to be some ironic punishment for Intel indeed. :)
They took the ugly approach.
The time code isn't working; listen from 1:32 to 2:00.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
apples and oranges.

So it's only hardware if it has end user replacable parts and is built on a system of slots and sockets? So a modern laptop with everything soldered is not hardware? What about the Fairphone, which is modular? I think I understand what you're getting at and that you're coming from the perspective of a traditional PC user but that is an incredibly arbritrary approach.

But as I said, in the end the distinction is meaningless.
you're right I am thinking in the traditional sense that a video card or memory board or thumb drive is the hardware not the laptop itself.