• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC shuts down after unplugging Ethernet!

Koolaid Man

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard Asus P5N32-E Sli Plus
Cooling Stock
Memory Ocz 2x2gb ddr2 reaper
Video Card(s) Visiontech HD 4870
Storage WD 300gb Raptor
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) Creative Titanium Fatality
Power Supply Ocz 700W Game Stream
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
It first start with my PC failing to fully power up. The fans would dim and speed up and down like a car trying to start up. The only way I could get it to start up was if I unplugged the power supply until the mobo light when off. Btw when this first happened after about 20 secs teh PC would boot but after a week I had to turn of the power to the whole pc for 15 secs. Next problem came around when my ports keep closing even though my static ip is teh same and all settings are the same. The solution was to reste my router but I dont believe that is the problem anymore. Next problem was when i unplugged the router (which was right next to my PC), my pc shutdown at teh same exact time. I even moved it to a different outlet and it did the same thing. It also did this when i unplugged the ethernet. I thought it might of been the mobo network adapter. I disabled it. It booted perfectly, everything worked. Then after 5 reboots it does it again. So it obvious was not the network adapter. I have also tried doing all of these test at two seperate houses and they each come out with the same outcome. I updated my bios, nothing changed, and same thing with all my drivers. Everythignw as up to date. I really do not believe its the power supply. The latest problem is randomly the internet will be disabled. Like the network adapter on the mobo is disabled. The only way to fix it is if I restart. Wen this happens, the PC just shuts down and again, I have to unplug the power cable until the mobo light is off. I have checked for static and the mobo touching my case and there isnt anything touching it except wires and the mounts.
In the mean time I ordered a new mobo. Its a micro version, but im on a budget and wasnt planning on this. If any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them because I have been trying to figure out what is wrong for the past 3 weeks. If I can stick with my mobo i will be much happier cause it does have more slots due to a full atx size. The current mobo I have is the nforce 650i plus by asus.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Welcome to TPU!

It does sound like a motherboard problem...
Can you please fill in your system specs (in user control panel), that way people can help you better. :)

Koolaid Man

Cooling Stock
Storage WD 300gb Raptor
Case Antec Nine Hundred

richjordan255

System Name My Updated Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3.15 GHz :-)
Motherboard MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory 8GB G.Skill DDR2 @ 5-4-4-14 (933mhz) OC :-)
Video Card(s) 2 BFG 8800 GTS 512 in SLi
Storage 2 500GB Hitatchi Sata 2 in RAID0 Hitatchi 1TB Sata2 for DATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW 22" LCD
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Akasa 850W Gaming PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores Don't believe in benchies I prefer actually using the PC
i know that it will cut off your net but have you tried disablingthe ethernet in the bios, possibly a bios update may help, couldnt hurt aybe even just resetting the bios options to default.

i agree with panther sound like your board, do you have the possibility to day a pci netwark card ?

Koolaid Man

Cooling Stock
Storage WD 300gb Raptor
Case Antec Nine Hundred
i know that it will cut off your net but have you tried disablingthe ethernet in the bios, possibly a bios update may help, couldnt hurt aybe even just resetting the bios options to default.

i agree with panther sound like your board, do you have the possibility to day a pci netwark card ?

Yes, I have disabled it from the bios already. Bios has been up to date. Already tried reseting the Bios to default. I bought antoher pci network card and it did not solve anthing