• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't boot up when using dual channel RAM placement.

Frostified

This is sort of a reassurance question since I'm just about to upgrade my RAM. Right now I have both sticks next to each other instead of in a 1-3 or 2-4 configuration. Every time I boot my PC, a reminder pops up saying to put them in 1-3 or 2-4 for optimal performance but when I do that and turn on the PC, all the hardware switches on but the boot up won't initiate which I assume is the BIOS not starting. Do you know if its faulty RAM sticks or something else like a motherboard problem?

RAM - Corsair 2400mhz, DDR4, 8GB (both)
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z270-P

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
If both sticks work fine in a single channel setup then this is a motherboard problem.

Update motherboard's BIOS to the latest version:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-P/PRIME-Z270-P-ASUS-1205.zip

Reset BIOS to defaults and then install the memory according to this diagram:

Clipboard02.jpg

ASUS listed several Corsair DDR4 2400 sticks as supported:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/PRIME_Z270-K_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf

Try to reseat the CPU and make sure the CPU cooler screws aren't too tighten.

Loosen the motherboard screws around the memory slots area

Frostified

I will give all these a go and report with results. Much appreciated.

If both sticks work fine in a single channel setup then this is a motherboard problem.

Update motherboard's BIOS to the latest version:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-P/PRIME-Z270-P-ASUS-1205.zip

Reset BIOS to defaults and then install the memory according to this diagram:

View attachment 156778

ASUS listed several Corsair DDR4 2400 sticks as supported:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/PRIME_Z270-K_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf

Try to reseat the CPU and make sure the CPU cooler screws aren't too tighten.

Loosen the motherboard screws around the memory slots area
Well. I updated to the latest BIOS, loosened all mentioned screws, reseated CPU and placed the sticks in 2-4 as the diagram shows but no luck. Motherboard is a month old and this happened right out of the box, I just never got around to fixing it.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Did you try to reset the CMOS while the memory was installed in dual channel?

There are TWO possibilities here:

1. Compatibility issue between the motherboard and that specific memory.
2. Defective channel on the motherboard.

You need another pair of memory but from a different vendor to figure it out for sure.

Frostified

I will have to try the CMOS suggestion later. I ordered a new pair of RAM that's certainly compatible as well. Gets here on Thursday so I can test it then. Thanks a lot for your help, I will share if I find a solution.

Frostified

Right, so I tried resetting the CMOS with the 2-4 configuration in place but the PC doesn't even reach the acreen where it ask you to confirm to reset to default settings. The motherboard's EZ Debug LED reaches the RAM light, waits a second and goes back to CPU and then loops back to RAM. This repeats if I have a RAM stick in slots 1 or 2 whereas 3 and 4 both work just fine. I tested it with the new pair of 3600mhz RAM sticks so I'm kind of losing hope now. This motherboard is only 7 months old and when I first got it slot 2 didn't let me boot the PC so I put my one stick in 3 back then. Unfortunately it's beyond the Amazon return window now so I think I'm screwed.

One more thing. I don't know how I confused my MB's name. It's MSI Z390 A-PRO not the ASUS one. But I checked compatibility and it works with both RAM pairs I have.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Minimum warranty period for PC hardware is at least 1 year.

Contact Amazon and ASUS and check who's responsible for warranty service / RMA.

Ewen861

Hi there,

I’m just wondering wether you made any progress with this? I have just bought this motherboard and I’m experiencing the exact same issues, so am wondering if there is a fix or whether it’s a MB fault.

I have tried updating the BIOS with no luck.

Thanks!

Make sure to enable xmp in the bios. If your already running xmp speed you may need to change the timings and or voltage manually. Just input the values you see on the sticker or box the memory came in.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Radeon RX5600XT
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer KG271U bmiippx
Case Corsair 275R
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 10 x64 20H2
Saw that kind of problem, back in the early-2010s, with a Dell Inspiron 530S. (Core 2, a Pentium E2180, IIRC) Motherboard most likely from Foxconn.
The BIOS would just go bleep--bleep--bleep--bleep----bleep--bleep--bleep--bleep or just get a racing CPU fan.

But in the mid-2010s, IIRC, it was normal, like nothing happened, like I got a contact problem.....

Last edited:

Jon Vox

My Asus Prime Z490-A did not boot with memory in memorybank A0 or A1. When powered down, I connected the cpu cooler's foot (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) to the power supply's zero (black wire). This solved the issue for me. I now use slots A1 and B1 for dual channel use.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i5-9600KF
Motherboard NZXT N7 Z370 Black
Cooling Cooler Master 240 RGB AIO / Stock
Memory Thermaltake Toughram 16GB 4400MHz DDR4 or Gigabyte 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 or Adata 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 1060 6GB
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
My Asus Prime Z490-A did not boot with memory in memorybank A0 or A1. When powered down, I connected the cpu cooler's foot (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) to the power supply's zero (black wire). This solved the issue for me. I now use slots A1 and B1 for dual channel use.
The wire is irrelevant and dangerous, no doubt it was something else you did that allowed the slots to function