• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCYes RX470 bios failure

System Name The Beast
Processor AMD FX-8350 Vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Cooling DeepCool Gammax 400
Memory Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB @ 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) XFX Ghost Radeon HD7950 3GB O.C. |XFX LowProfile Radeon R7 250E 2GB
Storage SSD - 1x Biwin 120GB Sata|HDD - 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata
Display(s) LG 22" W2284f|Samsung 19" T190
Case Custom glass test bench (under dev.)
Audio Device(s) GX Gaming Headset HS-G560
Power Supply PCYes Spark 75+ 600W - PXSP600WPT
Mouse K-Mex MO-D837
Keyboard K-Mex KMJ9
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64
Hello guys!

I'm working on a RX470 4GB from PCYes (Brazilian brand), it basically is a reference card re-branded, even removing the brand adhesive from the fan revealed a Radeon logo adhesive. The code from the PCB returns as RX480 reference card from AMD Radeon (109-D00947-00_02).

It was completely dead, just the 12V coming from the PCI-e and 6-pin conector. So here is what i did:
  • Basically every high power IC needs 2 voltage sources, one low power to initialize and one high power to do the real work. A graphic chip needs 4 basic power supplies (VRMs), a couple for the graphic unit and a couple for memories/memory controller. So i identified those 2 low power regulators and forced a enabling signal on them, the card was back to life.
  • I did a stress test and played GTA V on her, everything normal. But some time later it died again, this time was a dead eeprom.
  • Here is were my struggles start. I picked a compatible eeprom IC and tried many bios files, some of them don't start at all, some start with basic video but don't install drivers. It was my bad to not save the bios when it was working, but i still have hope.
With any bios i can boot windows and GPU-Z returns info for the gpu (using another card to video output). Have my doubts about about bad memories, but occasionally it given video and with bad memories it would not happen or would have artifacts...The card have Elpida memories, so i'm after a "generic" bios that lists Elpida as compatible. Tried to do some mods to the bios that at least given video output, but no sucess.

Any one have a tip what bios could be the most compatible? Or any tip to mod a bios to this card? I'm trying all bios on techpowerup, even the unverified ones. The mostly successful one was a bios mod that i did to a VisionTek version, but i was changing random things on polaris bios editor.
  • PCB code: 109-D00947-00_02
  • Model code: 470K4FCND/470K4FCN
  • Card name: RX 470 Fan OC 4GB
  • VRAM Memories: Elpida EDW4032BABG
  • Serial number: 3238160100123 (This and the barcode next to AMD logo and PCB code don't return anything on google or anywhere)

IMG_1377.jpgIMG_1378.jpgIMG_1518.jpg

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
It was completely dead, just the 12V coming from the PCI-e and 6-pin conector. So here is what i did:
  • Basically every high power IC needs 2 voltage sources, one low power to initialize and one high power to do the real work. A graphic chip needs 4 basic power supplies (VRMs), a couple for the graphic unit and a couple for memories/memory controller. So i identified those 2 low power regulators and forced a enabling signal on them, the card was back to life.
  • I did a stress test and played GTA V on her, everything normal. But some time later it died again, this time was a dead eeprom.
There is a reason those chips did not received the enable signal. There is a fault somewhere else on this GPU. Every time you power it up this way, you are damaging something else. Case in point, the eeprom died. Unless you find and fix the initial fault, you will just keep cascading through the components on the pcb.

System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
There is a reason those chips did not received the enable signal. There is a fault somewhere else on this GPU. Every time you power it up this way, you are damaging something else. Case in point, the eeprom died. Unless you find and fix the initial fault, you will just keep cascading through the components on the pcb.
all the aforementioned, plus the op said the "pcb id is of a rx 480" which in fact was used for both 470 and 480. But he really shouldnt try to flash it with a RX 480 bios, because it would fail (rx 480 has more texture mapping units, 144 vs 128 in a 470).

Also there could be some issues with the vram (rx 400 series... mining... vram stressed a lot and died... as the result the driver doesnt install correctly...)