• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PL2 is limited even if temperatures are ok

Baldocane

Hi guys, i'm trying to undervolt my gaming laptop but when i do a TS bench i see in the "limits" that PL2 does turn red intermittently. I don't believe that the problem is the temperature since, during the tests, it remains under 80°. I thank you in advance for your help, I'll attach the information of the computer and some images of my throttlestop settings.

Acer Nitro 5 (2019) Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz

Attachments

• throttle 4.png
    throttle 4.png
    217 KB · Views: 36
  • throttle 3.png
    throttle 3.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 33
  • throttle 2.png
    throttle 2.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 31
  • throttle 1.png
    throttle 1.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 40

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I don't believe that the problem is the temperature
When PL2 is flashing red, ThrottleStop is telling you that a power limit is limiting your CPU speed. This type of throttling is not temperature related. It can happen at any temperature.

The 9750H has a 45W TDP limit. Many Acer laptops use an embedded controller (EC) to enforce this power limit. Setting the MSR power limits higher than 45W will be ignored if the EC power limit is set to 45W. The lowest set power limit wins control of the CPU.

Try turning on the Log File option when testing. That makes it easier to see if there is any throttling and at what power level it is happening at. You can try increasing the MSR PL2 power limit in ThrottleStop to 80W or 90W. This might reduce PL2 throttling during short term tests.

Try running the TS Bench 960M test. Some 9750H CPUs are not 100% stable when the cache offset undervolt is set to -145 mV. If the TS Bench reports any errors or your computer crashes during this test, I would not undervolt the cache so much. The core and cache offset voltages do not need to be set equally. Some users get better overall temperatures or performance by setting the core offset to a bigger number compared to the cache. I recommend using Cinebench when testing out different voltages. It tends to produce consistent results for comparison purposes.

I would set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. This tells the CPU to ignore the PL4 power limit.