• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help with matching up USB ports on mb to USB ports on case

Hello,

I have a Lian Li Lancool 3 case.

The front of the case has three USB ports. One USB-C 3.2(from the manual but website says 3.1) and two 3.0 Type A ports. I have a Asus ROG Strix Gaming B650E-E mb with one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Connector(Supports USB Type-C), 1 USB 3.2.1 header supports additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, 2 USB headers support additional 4 USB 2.0 ports.

Can I use any of the connections on the front case? What ports on the case do I connect the ports on the mb?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Look at the connectors on the cables from the PC case then find the corresponding connectors on the motherboard. They have different plugs so you can't mistakenly plug in the USB-C plug into a Gen 1 motherboard connector that doesn't support it.

They should look like this

Consult your product manuals if necessary. The one on the left is for the newer Gen 2 (USB-C) port.

Legacy USB 2.0 headers have nine pins like this:

A newer case like the Lancool III probably doesn't have legacy USB 2.0 ports on the front panel (my Lancool II Mesh does not). Those four connectors on your motherboard are for legacy cases and/or internal peripherals.

All three connectors are keyed so you can only plug them in one way with the matching cable.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Look at the connectors on the cables from the PC case then find the corresponding connectors on the motherboard. They have different plugs so you can't mistakenly plug in the USB-C plug into a Gen 1 motherboard connector that doesn't support it.

They should look like this

Consult your product manuals if necessary. The one on the left is for the newer Gen 2 (USB-C) port.

Legacy USB 2.0 headers have nine pins like this:

A newer case like the Lancool III probably doesn't have legacy USB 2.0 ports on the front panel (my Lancool II Mesh does not). Those four connectors on your motherboard are for legacy cases and/or internal peripherals.

All three connectors are keyed so you can only plug them in one way with the matching cable.

Best of luck.
asking to make sure ports line up, so the USB C 3.2 port on the case will connect to the USB 3.2 Gen 2 Connector on the mother board ?, so will I only get the 3.2 gen 1 speed on the case or since I am connecting a Gen 2 USB C 3.2 head to the connector on the case, I will get Gen 2.2 speeds? Would I connect the USB 3.2 Type A Gen 1 connector on the mb to the USB 3.0 port on the case? Thanks

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I'd just plug in matching connectors and see what happens. Nothing will explode.

If you end up dissatisfied, send them back and buy something else.

(Disclaimer: I am using an ASUS ROG Strix B550-E motherboard in a Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance. I purchased the optional USB 3.2 Gen 2 port for the case's front panel.)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Front USB (Total 7 ports)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 connector (supports USB Type-C®) hook your front panel usb-c to that port

1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 header supports additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports

Hook your front panel usb A ports to that

Re-read that page

@Yoshiii335

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218-150434.png
    Screenshot_20221218-150434.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 297
I'd just plug in matching connectors and see what happens. Nothing will explode.

If you end up dissatisfied, send them back and buy something else.

(Disclaimer: I am using an ASUS ROG Strix B550-E motherboard in a Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance. I purchased the optional USB 3.2 Gen 2 port for the case's front panel.)
Did you get the port from LIAN LI?

I have the Lancool 3, I find that the AIO 360 radiator and fan I have covers up the top of the motherboard some. Does it do the same on yours?

Case Apple proprietary
Did you get the port from LIAN LI?
Yes, and irritatingly overpriced too. But it fit perfectly and works. I was annoyed that they were too cheap to include it in the base configuration but I'm over it now.

I have the Lancool 3, I find that the AIO 360 radiator and fan I have covers up the top of the motherboard some. Does it do the same on yours?
Yes, I had a 240mm AIO radiator on top for a while, it did the same but did not affect thermal performance to any measurable effect. It's offset a bit which probably helps with airflow.

I'm using a 360mm AIO radiator on the front panel now, the top has two 140mm exhaust fans. Internal case temperature did not change at all. The case is well designed and provides adequate airflow.

One thing I like is the optional GPU bracket. I've never seen that as an option for other cases.

Last edited:
Yes, and irritatingly overpriced too. But it fit perfectly and works. I was annoyed that they were too cheap to include it in the base configuration but I'm over it now.

Yes, I had a 240mm AIO radiator on top for a while, it did the same but did not affect thermal performance to any measurable effect. It's offset a bit which probably helps with airflow.

I'm using a 360mm AIO radiator on the front panel now, the top has two 140mm exhaust fans. Internal case temperature did not change at all. The case is well designed and provides adequate airflow.

One thing I like is the optional GPU bracket. I've never seen that as an option for other cases.
The Fractal Meshify 2 has a gpu bracket. That case is good but the AIO hangs down further than on the Lancool 3 and covers the top vrm heatsink completely and some of the ram. I like that case more but I read that mounting aio on the front would send warm air to the gpu and I have a 3090ti EVGA FTW3. It does have mounts for putting fans on the bottom of the case but not sure how well the air will reach up through the holes in the psu cover.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The Fractal Meshify 2 has a gpu bracket. That case is good but the AIO hangs down further than on the Lancool 3 and covers the top vrm heatsink completely and some of the ram. I like that case more but I read that mounting aio on the front would send warm air to the gpu and I have a 3090ti EVGA FTW3. It does have mounts for putting fans on the bottom of the case but not sure how well the air will reach up through the holes in the psu cover.

You figure out your ports or what?

Case Apple proprietary
(shrugs)

I know nothing about the Fractal Meshify 2. The company has a good reputation, I'm confident they market some well designed cases.

The Arctic 360mm Liquid Freezer AIO in my Lancool II is cooling a Ryzen 5800X and exhausting inside the case (i.e. configured as an intake). My GPU in that build is an ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 10GB. I am using the two fan mounts on the Lancool II's PSU shroud for extra interior airflow.

There seems to be adequate airflow for my particular build. I cannot speak for anyone else's configuration.

I have two other smaller cases with front mounted AIO radiators exhausting inside the case. Again with adequate ventilation, I don't see this as a problem.

I'm sure satisfactory thermal performance can be achieved with many cases not just these two.

Last edited: