• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please suggest components for 'future-proof' VR build.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
tl:dr

1) Have you tried VR games? Is the experience worth the upgrades you had to do?

2) If yes pls suggest components for a VR system - with full tower case (hate working in tight spaces), water-cooling is considered.

3) I always kept my pc's for 5+ years. I'd rather spend a bit more and make it last by using overclocking potential.

4) I won't start building this before December if hopefully I get a tax refund, so I can wait for new hardware to be released or for existing hardware to become cheaper.

5) Budget is $1500, max $2000 depending on my tax refund and on how much the actual VR costs by itself. (It depends also on whether the husband threatens divorce upon telling him! If yes I'd have to forget it - if no I might even add another $500 to the budget! ;) )

The long version:

Some of you might know that I tend to hang on to my builds for around 5 years, overclocking and doing minor upgrades till I squeeze the most juice I'm capable of. I built my first pc in 2007 with an E4300 oc'd to 3Ghz, 2GB DDR2 which I later upgraded to 4GB, a GT8600 which I upgraded first to a GT8800 and then to a Radeon 7950 (having to modify the case to fit it!), and on the way I added a small 160GB SSD.

Then in 2012 I assembled the one in my system specs, the only upgrade I did was to double my DDR3 RAM from 6GB to 12GB, and the CPU is overclocked at 4Ghz.

So far this system runs my games just fine. The most demanding one is Fallout 4 which I have to run at 1080p instead of 2560x1440 and at the following settings which affect the game very little in my opinion:

I was disappointed because the minimum requirements for the game are 8GB RAM. I only had 6GB and surprisingly the game always ran with no problems (mods and all) since release. Upgrading to 12GB RAM made no difference in gameplay. I haven't tested it at 2560x1440 yet though because I don't think RAM (not vRAM) would affect performance at a higher resolution?

With Fallout 4 VR being released this December, and with me having the same pc for 5 years now, I'm looking for an upgrade. I think it's useless upgrading only the graphics card since my processor's also quite old and I'm on DDR3 so it's best to get a new system for better future-proofing.

Larger cases are better for me to work with, and also for ventilation and possibly watercooling (never been there but I might overcome my phobia of having a pipe leaking all over expensive new hardware).

It might seem better if I just upgrade the graphics card, perhaps I could do so at first to have my system VR-capable and then consider on other new components (basically building new pc and keeping graphics card) later?

I'm looking to have a VR-capable pc as from this December, at the most January 2018. So it's not like I'm looking for current deals/bargains.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please keep posting them till the end of the year :)

Processor Intel I7 4790k
Motherboard MSI Z87 - G45
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 16gb 1600mhz (2000mhz OC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080
Storage 750gb + 256gb ssd, 2TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung C24fg70 144hz
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Motherboard, Realtek
Power Supply CM Silent Pro M1000
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 x64
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080, and being a big fan of Fallout I will let you know that the engine is really not that great to begin with!

In some places like inside a big city (boston) ect, I get dips down to 30'ish FPS.. I imagine it's going even lower with VR.
- Also I checked my GPU/CPU usage and it doesn't go above 50-60% during the low fps :/
This is all at 1080p as well.