• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Poll: What class did you have the most fun with in Dragon Age Origins? Warrior, Rogue, or Mage? You decide what I play.

What class did you have the most fun playing?

• Rogue

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Mage

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Warrior

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, custom tube amp, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
you forgot the 4th option "None because the frame rate on PS3 was giving me headaches." :(

I have to admit, seeing dragon age origins at 165 fps on a 165hz 1440p monitor maxed out is something special.

its funny because if you go to 4k with this game it looks a little off, but 1080p doesn't look right.

this game was made for 1440p 27" ratio, i have no idea why it worked out that way, but it looks amazing.

other games like Dishonored look amazing on my steam deck at 800p at 60hz. It's been really refreshing learning that I am not actually a high refresh rate snob, its more about each game plays best on a certain monitor. that's the actual key.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I have to admit, seeing dragon age origins at 165 fps on a 165hz 1440p monitor maxed out is something special.

its funny because if you go to 4k with this game it looks a little off, but 1080p doesn't look right.

this game was made for 1440p 27" ratio, i have no idea why it worked out that way, but it looks amazing.

other games like Dishonored look amazing on my steam deck at 800p at 60hz. It's been really refreshing learning that I am not actually a high refresh rate snob, its more about each game plays best on a certain monitor. that's the actual key.
Is this available for PC now? I might give it another try.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Elite X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) Samsung G8 Oled with a secondary mini led monitor.
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro

It launched on PC the same time as console lol there are also some decent mods on nexus.

System Name Desktop | Lappy
Processor 14900KS | 7735HS
Motherboard Z790 Apex Encore | Asus TUF
Cooling Arctic LF III 420 | Some Fans and Heatpipes
Memory 48GB 8200 CL38 | 32GB 4800 CL34
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Super | RX 7700S
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR | 16" 1200p 165Hz
Case Asus PA602 | Plastic
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Brick
Software Something Debian Based | Manjaro
Benchmark Scores They suck.
On sale for four-fiddy

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I don't understand the reference here, can you clarify? is this in regards to rogues having light armor and just dying really quick?
@Vayra86 got it, it has to do with the countless queries in MMORPG chat channels asking "which rouge spec is the best?" by new players. In the history of MMOs, Rogue is easily the the most non purposely misspelled world of all time.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

It's definitely worth a play through. Biowares last good game IMO.

EDIT: After a bunch of hours in Skyrim and Fallout 4 I started a DA: O playthrough and got very nearly to the end of the campaign just by the sheer joy of playing a well crafted, non-open world RPG.

@Vayra86 got it, it has to do with the countless queries in MMORPG chat channels asking "which rouge spec is the best?" by new players. In the history of MMOs, Rogue is easily the the most non purposely misspelled world of all time.

In my defense english is technically my third language.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO

I honestly did not know that was a thing, I remember in the early WoW days, Rogue was considered a bit of a pest and meme.

Good to know, thanks!

Case fancier than yours
I know it makes me sound like a spaz, but I honestly don't think I'd enjoy this game on console, or even at 1080p on PC, I am not sure what the hell magic happens when this game is run at 27" 1440p, but everything just looks so damn perfect... the clarity, the UI spacing, the tactical aspect of battles, etc.

also, side note, its a great game to use with my naga x, which i have mastered the number buttons with my thumb. so i should be able to be quite fast and tactical
the game mechanics are good, the expansion was solid and it's definitely a worthwhile RPG if you like fantasy RPGs or games similar to KoTOR I & II. The story and character "starter" quests are nothing special.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
the game mechanics are good, the expansion was solid and it's definitely a worthwhile RPG if you like fantasy RPGs or games similar to KoTOR I & II. The story and character "starter" quests are nothing special.

ya, I am aware its a very classic Light vs Dark thematic in traditon of epic fantasy novel, I'm not expecting it to blow me away or anything, its more about the atmosphere of it all that I enjoy.

Case fancier than yours
I am aware its a very classic Light vs Dark thematic in traditon of epic fantasy novel,
the game has a good atmosphere, as far as the story goes it's not even the "classic" light vs dark. its pure LOTR plagiarism, I won't spoil it any further for you. In fact of the three DAs that are out, it's easily the weakest story.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
The story and character "starter" quests are nothing special.

I did like the background stuff. That is much better to me than being a blank slate just plonked down in the middle of something. "You can be anything you want!" sounds fine in theory, but my problem with that is that I don't know the world yet. I don't know what makes sense until deep into the game and generally I feel deeply uninterested in the world if the character I play have no sensible connection to it. I'm gonna be Finepants McCheese, Jedi Gunslinger! Ok so there aren't any jedis in this game. I'm QuickDraw Bucketlord, Gentleman of Burglars and Guns! Ok so that name is bollocks in this world, and the background doesn't make sense and there aren't guns. Ok I guess I'm a farmer who got lost on his way to the cheese shop, whatever. I don't care anymore anyway. Those background starter things solved that for me.

The story is meh for sure, but it's sensible and fitting for the game. I also really like how elves are handled. And I like the dwarves. The world is a lot more interesting and well done than the story, and that is good because that makes it easier to come back to it.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Elite X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) Samsung G8 Oled with a secondary mini led monitor.
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
the game has a good atmosphere, as far as the story goes it's not even the "classic" light vs dark. its pure LOTR plagiarism, I won't spoil it any further for you. In fact of the three DAs that are out, it's easily the weakest story.

Part one had by far the best companions.. two was terrible and 3 was even worse in my book anyway. Although I feel the whole series of games is a bit over rated.

Case fancier than yours
I did like the background stuff. That is much better to me than being a blank slate just plonked down in the middle of something. "You can be anything you want!"
It's fine you liked it but it's still a "you can be anything you want" since you can choose your class, race, sex, and background story. I actually prefer the character "Hawke" in DA2 since you gives you a guide in the world somewhat similar to Geralt in the Witcher.

I'm gonna be Finepants McCheese
If you go through this world having fine pants and cheese, then you have few problems in life

Ok so there aren't any jedis in this game.
yes, there are. They are called
spirit monks
spectres

Grey Wardens

think Bioware went to the well once too often with the special warrior after KoTOR?

I also really like how elves are handled. And I like the dwarves. The world is a lot more interesting and well done than the story, and that is good because that makes it easier to come back to it.
It was nice but then they drop those stories all together, similar to how they dropped grey wardens and ME dropped spectres. Basically DA revolves heavily on how their world deals with magic users

Part one had by far the best companions.. two was terrible and 3 was even worse in my book anyway. Although I feel the whole series of games is a bit over rated.
The first one had some very good companions, some very bad ones as well. The whole companion thing has gotten out of hand. You don't need 15 companions in a game and 90% of them have generic stories that are just filler. The second DA I believe had the best story and gave you the best companion in the whole series, they even brought him back for three.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Basically DA revolves heavily on how their world deals with magic users

this is partly why i find the mage class so interesting, they have a unique starting area as well.

plus I really like how magic looks in this game, it looks like how I imagine some magic to look like in fantasy books. a lot of games don't get that right imo. to be clear, that is very subjective of course. so i get it

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's fine you liked it but it's still a "you can be anything you want" since you can choose your class, race, sex, and background story. I actually prefer the character "Hawke" in DA2 since you gives you a guide in the world somewhat similar to Geralt in the Witcher.

If you go through this world having fine pants and cheese, then you have few problems in life

yes, there are. They are called
spirit monks
spectres

Grey Wardens

think Bioware went to the well once too often with the special warrior after KoTOR?

It was nice but then they drop those stories all together, similar to how they dropped grey wardens and ME dropped spectres. Basically DA revolves heavily on how their world deals with magic users

The first one had some very good companions, some very bad ones as well. The whole companion thing has gotten out of hand. You don't need 15 companions in a game and 90% of them have generic stories that are just filler. The second DA I believe had the best story and gave you the best companion in the whole series, they even brought him back for three.

I was referring to other games that do not have the background stories as part of the game. Like Pillars of Eternity, or ye olde Bioware games. Where I have to come up with my own background, and those games never capture my interest for long.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I honestly did not know that was a thing, I remember in the early WoW days, Rogue was considered a bit of a pest and meme.

Good to know, thanks!
Oh man, don't get me started on Rogues in vanilla raiding... lmao. They were basically there for the trash pulls, and some odd skill on a single boss in the entire raid :D Rest of the time they were really just dying all over the place whenever they started hitting something. It was hilarious. Most Rogues were really in the game for PvP and harassing, and then eventually did end up in some guild and did some raids. Recruiting good Rogues was not just a chore... it was a massive challenge, probably worse than finding good healers or tanks. The best raiding Rogues I saw were always those who ran tank, offtank or healer before, ironically.

Though I have to hand it to the Rogues, class wasn't easy to play right. I ran Mage most of the time myself, so I just spammed whatever Bolt all day (and did Raid management alongside :)). Oh, the days...

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
this poll is amazing
hahah

a testament to well balanced classes.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I did like the background stuff. That is much better to me than being a blank slate just plonked down in the middle of something. "You can be anything you want!" sounds fine in theory, but my problem with that is that I don't know the world yet. I don't know what makes sense until deep into the game and generally I feel deeply uninterested in the world if the character I play have no sensible connection to it. I'm gonna be Finepants McCheese, Jedi Gunslinger! Ok so there aren't any jedis in this game. I'm QuickDraw Bucketlord, Gentleman of Burglars and Guns! Ok so that name is bollocks in this world, and the background doesn't make sense and there aren't guns. Ok I guess I'm a farmer who got lost on his way to the cheese shop, whatever. I don't care anymore anyway. Those background starter things solved that for me.

The story is meh for sure, but it's sensible and fitting for the game. I also really like how elves are handled. And I like the dwarves. The world is a lot more interesting and well done than the story, and that is good because that makes it easier to come back to it.

Yeah the backgrounds are great to have. But to be fair, good RPG systems / character gens have this. D&D has it, with a whole table to roll more often than not and that leads to actual interaction with the world - so then the background is more of an 'intention on how to approach things', you can get that imagined without knowing the world too well. Many games however condense it to some +1 in whatever stat, making it very meaningless, and then yeah you have to craft your own world around it. It doesn't really work in computer games, I agree.

Also in full agreement on how they fleshed out the world in DA : O. They also did much less of that fluff in the later games like Inquisition, it was mostly just scenery and the stage for yet another collect all the map markers run, and in DA 2 it was more of a 'look we have this area too, because you know it already' thing than actual lore.

One game where I absolutely loved the character creation was Tyranny. And also the whole alignment mechanic it had... even if the game felt like a vat of untapped potential at the end, as if you had just played the radio edit of what should be the extended edition.

For those who missed that one... do get on sale. Worth - and if you read the reviews... Yes, its better than Pillars. Combat is actually not annoying as fk, pacing is 100x better, its more condensed if you will, every sequence is there for a reason and not to make you wander through the world slaying wolves.

Damn I'm slowly getting pulled into another DA: O run, it seems... Still have to cross that gap between now and D4... and after that BG3... this autumn is gonna be pretty awesome :)

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Warrior class always in these types of games. Nothing wrong with the other classes. I just prefer Warrior.

btw DAO was the best of the Dragon Age games. Well worth a playthrough.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
DAO is a good candidate for an RTX remix / remaster.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Warrior class always in these types of games. Nothing wrong with the other classes. I just prefer Warrior.

btw DAO was the best of the Dragon Age games. Well worth a playthrough.

Well DAO always lets you switch characters anyway, so if I feel a bit overwhelmed as Mage, I can switch to the Warrior on the fly.

I decided to abide by the poll and go with Mage, I am enjoying it so far, my GTX 1070 is working properly now after some more cleaning.

I was leaning towards Mage anyway, so the poll worked out well. I am leaning towards Warrior for Dragon Age 2 though.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard Asus Proart B650
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz C36 AMD Expo
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7800 XT Nitro+
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb
Case Fractal Design Pop Silent
Audio Device(s) Edifier r1900tII
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W
If you already spent a 100 hours in this game, I would recommend neither class, a replaying the game will not be very entertaining for you.
Instead, there are many other games of the genre that may be interesting for you to try:
Pillars of Eternity 1/2
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Tyranny
Tides of Numenera
Disco Elysium
Wasteland 2/3
Underrail
Atom RPG
Age of Decadence
Encased
Planescape Torment

Even Mass Effect is very similar and better than Dragon Age in most regards.

That being said, if you end up playing DA, try picking a character that will have high dialogue-based stats, such as cunning. Cunning is most important to rogues.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
If you already spent a 100 hours in this game, I would recommend neither class, a replaying the game will not be very entertaining for you.
Instead, there are many other games of the genre that may be interesting for you to try:
Pillars of Eternity 1/2
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Tyranny
Tides of Numenera
Disco Elysium
Wasteland 2/3
Underrail
Atom RPG
Age of Decadence
Encased
Planescape Torment

Even Mass Effect is very similar and better than Dragon Age in most regards.

That being said, if you end up playing DA, try picking a character that will have high dialogue-based stats, such as cunning. Cunning is most important to rogues.

I have never played more than a few hours in this game until now. I intend to see it through. Most of those other games you mentioned are on my wishlist though, or my backlog.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well DAO always lets you switch characters anyway, so if I feel a bit overwhelmed as Mage, I can switch to the Warrior on the fly.

I decided to abide by the poll and go with Mage, I am enjoying it so far, my GTX 1070 is working properly now after some more cleaning.

I was leaning towards Mage anyway, so the poll worked out well. I am leaning towards Warrior for Dragon Age 2 though.
Next you can start a poll on which specialization is most awesome for Mages ;)

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I remember on my first playthru (not beating the game) I had constant trouble in fights with a warrior. Then after over a decade or I started the game as mage and fights were not so hard anymore.