1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible GPU problem with my HIS HD3870?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by WarEagleAU, Apr 7, 2008.

1. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at this picture here:
    [​IMG]

Is it possible my HIS IceQ3 Radeon HD3870 might be messed up? It seems Ive had some sort of minor problems with it from the get go. I tried BIOS flashing it with the fanfix, but that didnt really seem to help. Neither did the Turbo Flash. I flashed it back to the stock bios (that I backed up) and I still seem to have small issues here and there. Im running the Tweakforce Radeon 8.3 drivers which seemed to have stabilized it a good bit, compared with the regular catalyst 8.3 drivers. Also, Im overclocking my system, but my temps seem to be in the normal range. I have the fan running at 100% in case its a heat issue. Anyone have any ideas or had similar problems?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry. I can't see what the picture is supposed to illustrate.

If you've flashed back to stock BIOS, it lends itself to more of a hardware based issue, eh?

When did you start to notice problems?

3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Today actually. If you look on the pic at the top of the browser, it looks like pixelation or maybe some type of rainfall effect. Its only at the top, not in the middle areas and really its only on the browser.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure you are running 32bit color and not anything lower? With XP, I would stick to 8.2 cats.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Does the "pixelation" remain in the same spot if you move the window your browser is in?
    Have you seen this phenomenon in any other situations: games/video?

6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Well well, it seems the anomally left when I removed the old Cats 8.3 and replaced with the tweaked 8.3 Course, it could have also been my oc, but I didnt touch the PCIe lane speed at all. Anyways, its all working kosher now.

I never did move around explorer because its fully expanded. However, it was only in explorer that I saw it. Not in Control Panel or anything like that.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Glad it all worked out!

I'm tellin' ya, these new Cats really chap my khakis! They seem more trouble than they are worth....

8. -iceblade^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... Well, it's not exactly the same, but i actually pulled off the 8.3 Cats yesterday night, and now Crysis seems to be working fine with em,, where previously it would crash

9. trog100

Thanks Received:
    the 8.3 cats are all about vista and C/F X.. in other words getting more than two cards (and hybrid) to work in vista.. i tried em in XP and binned em straight away.. i expected XP problems and got them.. it seems obvious to me.. if the new drivers aint about what u have dont be surprised if what u have goes worse with em..

solving one problem often causes others.. i dont think ATI care much about their XP drivers any more.. vista and C/F X is their new priority..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    well I thought my problem was fixed. Now I get weird black lines or colored squares in small sections of my screen that moves around. Im gonna try to revert to the 8.2 drivers and see if that helps.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    they were such crap I returned my card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    But does that happen only when using IE browser :confused:

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I had that issue i believe. When you open a new window you can like rub them out ?.

I got it due to things v card was not seated right all though it was but needed adjustment. Maybe the PCI-e pins were not connecting right. Maybe my 7900 PCB was thicker or some thing ?.

only had it with my ABit mobo and this mobo has never had another v card in it.

EDIT: Issue went after a while i kinda just got used to it and did not think about it till some one else said some thing about it and then i realized i had not seen it for a long time.

All though it did seem like it was due to how the card was in the PC and lifting the card up and screwing it in tight helped. And thats when i did not notice it again since and thats been some thing like 6+ month now.

14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, thanks Asrock. Ill check that out this weekend (or tomorrow) and see if that helps. Thanks bud.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    @Blackpanther, yes it happened only then. In other windows, Id get discolored lines in certain spots. It seems to have worked well, for now, but Ill know more when I get home. If nothing else, Ill pull it out and check it and make sure there are no issues with the SMT components and clean it and dust it off and the pci-x slot and reseat it and screw it back in.

10 Year Member at TPU