• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power down and connect PCIe Power Cable error on NVIDIA GPUs: hardware or not?

System Name DESKTOP-yes
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI A320M PRO-M2
Cooling AMD Stock Cooler
Memory 8x2 Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2666
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1070
Storage KINGSTON A400 120GB SSD, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB HDD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411, some tv i found
Case Inplay Meteor 01
Audio Device(s) Motherboard Audio, KZ DQ6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-750
Mouse Model O Wireless
Keyboard Anne Pro 2
Hi.
I have been given a GTX 1070 that the former owner said had an error that said: Please power down and connect PCIe power cable for this graphics card. I can't test it on my PC just yet since it was given quite recently and the owner will ship it sometime next week, but I want to know if it is a kind of red flag that indicates a dead GPU, or if I just need to put in 2 PCIe cables.
Thanks in advance!

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Just guessing here, but it sounds like the former owner was attempting to use the card without any power connections to the PSU.....or perhaps his connectors were not fully engaged, or the cables were flakey/defective, or even the sockets on his psu were kaput...

Virtually any modern GPU needz some juice to work propely, in addition to what they get from the pcie slots...even though the 1070 series cards aren't giant power hogs but still...

So if thats the case, you should be able to run it normally once connected correctly, assuming nothing (else) is actually wrong with it....

Good luck :)

System Name DESKTOP-yes
Cooling AMD Stock Cooler
Case Inplay Meteor 01
Mouse Model O Wireless
Keyboard Anne Pro 2
Just guessing here, but it sounds like the former owner was attempting to use the card without any power connections to the PSU.....or perhaps his connectors were not fully engaged, or the cables were flakey/defective, or even the sockets on his psu were kaput...

Virtually any modern GPU needz some juice to work propely, in addition to what they get from the pcie slots...even though the 1070 series cards aren't giant power hogs but still...

So if thats the case, you should be able to run it normally once connected correctly, assuming nothing (else) is actually wrong with it....

Good luck :)
That's what I was guessing. I currently am asking what power supply was used to test the GPU, just so I would know if it's not enough juice that was the problem. I searched more, and I think the only thing I should watch out for is that the power connectors themselves might be dead, but with the GPU with display, I don't think that's the case.
Thanks for the answer!

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
no problem, glad to help....

Just to add though, if the card was functional enough to know that it needed moar powa, then it is most likely ok, unless the former owner ran it for a long time with the cables being connected, or used it under heavy loads for an extended time :D

System Name DESKTOP-yes
Cooling AMD Stock Cooler
Case Inplay Meteor 01
Mouse Model O Wireless
Keyboard Anne Pro 2
Talked to the former owner. Said he used a modular power supply with the card, and that the connectors were defective.
no problem, glad to help....

Just to add though, if the card was functional enough to know that it needed moar powa, then it is most likely ok, unless the former owner ran it for a long time with the cables being connected, or used it under heavy loads for an extended time :D
So it means that I might get a straight dead GPU (~3/10 dead gpu), unless I make soldering magic and work the 12V connector? I'm feeling kinda doubtful with the GPU now, but I wish the card good luck.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hi.
I have been given a GTX 1070 that the former owner said had an error that said: Please power down and connect PCIe power cable for this graphics card. I can't test it on my PC just yet since it was given quite recently and the owner will ship it sometime next week, but I want to know if it is a kind of red flag that indicates a dead GPU, or if I just need to put in 2 PCIe cables.
Thanks in advance!
Yes vreg is dead, do not
Buy it

System Name DESKTOP-yes
Cooling AMD Stock Cooler
Case Inplay Meteor 01
Mouse Model O Wireless
Keyboard Anne Pro 2
Yes vreg is dead, do not
Buy it
Hi, sorry for the really late reply. I didn't take it since there was someone else who wanted to buy it from him. Thank you for that, though.
By any chance, can you care to explain what the issue might be, if I were to take it?
Thank you!