• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power DVD 9 Ultra: A Revelation In Frame Interpolation

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Well, I just upgraded to Power DVD 9 Ultra from Power DVD 8 Ultra when I noticed that my Golden Eye DVD immediately looked entirely different than it did in Power DVD 8. All of the sudden 99.9% of the motion judder was gone and panning from left to right was so smooth and fast that I almost laughed out loud. This truly is a revelation for owners of 60hz displays or 120hz displays without built in frame interpolation. I'm watching the movie now on my Infocus Screenplay 5000 which is a mediocre LCD projector made in 2004 with a plain old 60hz frame rate. Projectors with high tech interpolation cost thousands and what I'm seeing here looks like the real deal that you might see in very high end projectors. For Cyberlink I salute them for giving us the power to use our PCs, mine is fueled by an I7 920, for what might cost thousands elsewhere. I heartily suggest everybody who is sick of motion judder to get Power DVD 9 Ultra and change the way you think of Home Theater. Sure some "film" purest might not like this new technology but for me it makes watching movies way more enjoyable. Why watch movies with the limitations of 1920s technology and sticking with 24 frames per second? Why not watch them at true 60 FPS or 120 FPS. Frame Interpolation adds frames where there were none thus smoothing out the motion. For a better explanation read what was posted at projector central.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/frame_interpolation.htm

Now I wish I could afford the Sanyo PLV Z3000 but now I can get similar motion characteristics for much less. Finally HTPC is justified!!!!! I can't wait to test my Sanyo PLV-Z5. No 720p projector I've ever seen has frame interpolation so this is going to be amazing!!!!

Processor Stock I7 920
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Case Antec Three Hundred
I've tested a few films so far....

Goldeneye looked great as I said before(Miss Onatop never moved better) and Return of the Jedi was unbelievable!!!! The speeder scene on Endor was just awesome to see and any of the space battles just blow you away how smooth they move. This is a huge development for any Home Theater enthusiast who does not want to spend a fortune for a wonderful experience. The August 11th patch for Power DVD 9 enables the frame interpolation features. It is night and day compared to non interpolated DVD playback. Don't believe that you need some fancy expensive equipment to have a true theater experience. With Power DVD 9 you can use a moderately powered dual core PC and wind up with an amazing and mesmerizing video game like experience in the DVD movies you have grown to love over the years. Do you want your movies to move at 60 FPS like our games do? I sure as hell do.

Interpolation is not available yet for BLU RAY playback from Cyberlink but I look forward to seeing that implemented in the playback software in the future so we never have to worry about stutter and judder from any video source ever again. I give a virtual flip of the bird to 24hz film and I say rest in pieces.

KevinM1278

I noticed the same difference as well! I guess I can save money on having to buy one of those expensive 120hz TVs now... It's too bad about it not working with bluray yet, but i don't have a bluray player anyway so it's all good.

Processor Stock I7 920
Case Antec Three Hundred
It still blows me away

I noticed the same difference as well! I guess I can save money on having to buy one of those expensive 120hz TVs now... It's too bad about it not working with bluray yet, but i don't have a bluray player anyway so it's all good.

60 frames really is fast when you see it fully utilized. When it starts working with BLU Ray I will be in geek heaven!!!! I want to have BLU Ray in all 5 of my PCs to be prepared but alas I know I have to be patient.