• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Inverter Questions

muddog

1:I have inherited a 1500/300 power inverter if I hook this up to the battery of my truck for emergency use only, and use it for say half its rating (so say 750 watts, in appliances) will this ruin my charging system?
2:if I powered this same inverter with deep cell 12 v batteries would two do the job,and also do they make a battery charger that would be powered by my truck battery(while running) to charge the deep cells, in a no power emergecny?

System Name Geting old
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor BE 3.8 Ghz
Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL.. MS-7388 1.0
Cooling CORSAIR H50 water cooler
Memory 8 GB of Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB)PC2-6400 Enhanced Latency
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Display(s) LG FLATRON W2361V 23"
Case RAIDMAX SMILODON
Audio Device(s) HD Realtek
Power Supply Two 1000W ULTRA X3 wired together
Mouse Logitech G9x Laser
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 pro
Do you have any pic of the inverter

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
1. No, Why would it
2. Your truck will charge deep cell batteries with out anything. Just a set of jumpers. I would however not install a deep cell battery in your trucks battery rack. There heavy and will eventually break it. They make kits for dual battery systems Also don't smoke around charging batteries

System Name Geting old
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor BE 3.8 Ghz
Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL.. MS-7388 1.0
Cooling CORSAIR H50 water cooler
Memory 8 GB of Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB)PC2-6400 Enhanced Latency
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Display(s) LG FLATRON W2361V 23"
Case RAIDMAX SMILODON
Audio Device(s) HD Realtek
Power Supply Two 1000W ULTRA X3 wired together
Mouse Logitech G9x Laser
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 pro
Battery Charging

Battery charging takes place in 3 basic stages: Bulk, Absorption, and Float.

Bulk Charge - The first stage of 3-stage battery charging. Current is sent to batteries at the maximum safe rate they will accept until voltage rises to near (80-90%) full charge level. Voltages at this stage typically range from 10.5 volts to 15 volts. There is no "correct" voltage for bulk charging, but there may be limits on the maximum current that the battery and/or wiring can take.

Absorption Charge: The 2nd stage of 3-stage battery charging. Voltage remains constant and current gradually tapers off as internal resistance increases during charging. It is during this stage that the charger puts out maximum voltage. Voltages at this stage are typically around 14.2 to 15.5 volts. (The internal resistance gradually goes up because there is less and less to be converted back to normal full charge).

Float Charge: The 3rd stage of 3-stage battery charging. After batteries reach full charge, charging voltage is reduced to a lower level (typically 12.8 to 13.2) to reduce gassing and prolong battery life. This is often referred to as a maintenance or trickle charge, since it's main purpose is to keep an already charged battery from discharging. PWM, or "pulse width modulation" accomplishes the same thing. In PWM, the controller or charger senses tiny voltage drops in the battery and sends very short charging cycles (pulses) to the battery. This may occur several hundred times per minute. It is called "pulse width" because the width of the pulses may vary from a few microseconds to several seconds. Note that for long term float service, such as backup power systems that are seldom discharged, the float voltage should be around 13.02 to 13.20 volts.

Chargers: Most garage and consumer (automotive) type battery chargers are bulk charge only, and have little (if any) voltage regulation. They are fine for a quick boost to low batteries, but not to leave on for long periods. Among the regulated chargers, there are the voltage regulated ones, such as Iota Engineering, PowerMax, and others, which keep a constant regulated voltage on the batteries. If these are set to the correct voltages for your batteries, they will keep the batteries charged without damage. These are sometimes called "taper charge" - as if that is a selling point. What taper charge really means is that as the battery gets charged up, the voltage goes up, so the amps out of the charger goes down. They charge OK, but a charger rated at 20 amps may only be supplying 5 amps when the batteries are 80% charged. To get around this, Xantrex (and maybe others?) have come out with "smart", or multi-stage chargers. These use a variable voltage to keep the charging amps much more constant for faster charging. From http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Battery Charging :respect:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If you pull 750 watts at 12 volts you are drawing 62.5 amps.
Your battery should handle this.
You can look at your alternator to see what it's output is ... it should be written on it somewhere.
If it's more than 60 amps when the vehicle is running you're good to go. If it's less, you will eventually drain the battery as you are drawing more than the alternator can supply.
A lot of the newer alternators do not respond to higher RPMs like the old one's did and maintain a pretty level output when idling or when the engine RPMs are higher.