• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor Rx590 Red Dragon vBIOS problem??

waydizzle13

Hello team/community members,

I've recently bought a RX590 from a "gamer" who claimed "it worked on his computer and played only fortinte". Needless to say...when I plugged it into my computer, I get a black screen. Using the on-board GPU, I was able to boot and noticed the infamous 043 code under device manager. After doing all sorts of online/youtube tutorial/following the bricked guide... no luck at all.

The vgabios library showed that the Red Dragon card has Samsung memory but when I opened up the card, it's showing Micron memory on there... so I thought maybe I can try to use the Red Devil version since it has micron memory, no luck. The weird part is, with the Red Dragon (samsung vbios) installed, I can at least boot into windows/linux fine but it would just show 043 code. IF I install Red Devil or any of the unverified version of vBIOS, it would crash/blue screen with AMD driver installed. If I remove the AMD driver, it would at least boot into windows using on-board graphics for me to at least flash it back to the Red Dragon version. With the Red Dragon version installed, it would show Auto under memory type in GPUZ. I'm assuming it's because it has micron but the red dragon has auto/samsung/samsung so it just picked auto. I've also contacted their customer support asking for the right vbios but was told they don't release that to customers...

At this point, am I facing a vBIOS problem or is this some hardware failure? I'm at a complete lost with this one... any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm willing to try anything at this point to not let the money go down the drain..

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
i'd imediatley contact him and tell him that this card is broken...

waydizzle13

lol ofc i did, but he was like sorry no refund... worked in my computer when I had it...