• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with computer booting and norton antivirus

fr33ze

another problem for you guys....

my friend thought he had a virus on his computer so i tried to install nortan anti 2004 on it and it took forever and then never actually installed, got stuck on the last bit. Can't remember why but probably just got impatient and restarted it in the end (probably shouldn't have done that with hindsight).

now when ever you turn the computer on it is unbelievably slow, i'm talking like 30 min just to open a folder. It shows norton anti as being installed with the shortcut item on the desktop and the trash can as being protected but norton never actually starts properly.

First thought was to try starting in safe mode and uninstall norton, starts up fine in safe mode and works at normal speeds but when i go to uninstall norton antivirus it's not in the list of programs to uninstall. I've checked msconfig and there are deffinately the apps in there that start with norton so it's installed to an extent.

any advice on how i can actually uninstall norton and get my mates computer back upto the right working speed.

he's running win xp home btw

any help would be appretiated

C&C Freak 2K

One of the dangers of aborting such an installation is having a handicapped system. The best advice I can give short of format and reinstall (which I often suggest although I try not to) is to see if you have a restore point from before installing Norton Antivirus.

Also, any Norton CD (or ISO :p) with Norton AntiVirus is booteable, so you can scan your drives with the latest virus definitions avalable since the manufacture of said CD (or ISO).

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Goto www.sysmantec.com, support, search ( uninstall NSW 2004 ). They'll tell you which folders to delete and a reg file that removes norton from the registry. I think if you boot with the SystemWorks CD it'll do a scan at start up... download the lastest virus defs and place them on a floppy the CD will look for it in the a: drive ...

Slayerstaps

Hmm, I had a problem similar to that once my comp was al slow and stuff really damn slow....but also most of my .exe files failed to launch...seemed that a virus caused all my trouble....

wHiZzKiD

try using a registry cleaner like regcleaner or easycleaner. with these tools you should be able to uninstall every symantec related software on your computer. symantec software is normally easy to install but it is always very hard to uninstall it completely from a computer. after erasing all reg-keys you should try using another virus program. virusscan from mcafee or f-secure. I tried several virus programs and these 2 are the best in my opinion.

fr33ze

ok i'll give some of your ideas a go tomoz and let you know how i get on, cheers guys