• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with my CPU when starting my pc

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard MSI B350M PRO VD PLUS
Cooling stock
Memory 64gb G skill Ripjaws 3200
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
Power Supply Segotep SG-D600SCR, 600W
Hello
I am having an issue with my PC showing a CPU error when i turn it on after power failure in the power grid( I am having solar panels if that is of any help to the thread).
So this is the sequence of events leading to my problem:
-power failure from the inverter, i am guessing when this happens, some strange voltage is going through the power grid because it only happens after this
-i try to turn on my PC and the motherboard CPU LED is on( i only have white color on the motherboard for the LEDs)
-only solution I found was to remount the CPU( which I would rather not do two times a week, since i don t have the money to spent on kg of thermal paste )

Things I have tried before reseating the CPU:
-reseat RAM
-clear CMOS (with a 20 mins down time just to be sure power is lost)
-plug/unplug CPU connector and motherboard connector
-finally reseated the CPU, which fixed the problem ( which is weird, power loss should not have impact on the CPU position)

If anyone has an idea about this issue, please help!

Some more info about the solar system:
-we bought a few solar panels recently and they were too much for the controller we had, so we changed to another controller that works at 14.4V instead of 13.8V
-I think the inverter was not set up for 14.4V input and it shut down (after this, motherboard has CPU error)

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
My MSI B450M Mortar Max had similar problems (with R5 3600). Usually it helped if I had the power cord unplugged for a while. Never actually managed to find out the reason behind that, I just got a new board (as I've damaged the B450M's USB3 header so no RMA'ing it). I'll send this to my buddy and he can figure it out better than I could.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Having to remount the CPU to clear this issue makes no sense. I suspect that "appears" to work because (I hope and assume) you are completely removing power (unplugging from the wall) before pulling the CPU and that is what is actually working here.

You need to verify your wall outlet is wired correctly. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

You also need to try a different power supply. If the 2nd power supply does not clear your problem, then sadly, it is likely your motherboard.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
I guess for now I should unplug my PC and try see if tomorrow everything will be fine.
Having to remount the CPU to clear this issue makes no sense. I suspect that "appears" to work because (I hope and assume) you are completely removing power (unplugging from the wall) before pulling the CPU and that is what is actually working here.

You need to verify your wall outlet is wired correctly. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure the wall outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

You also need to try a different power supply. If the 2nd power supply does not clear your problem, then sadly, it is likely your motherboard.
As for this, kinda hard in the current situation. Covid and lack of money make things a bit hard, especially on my side. Still, I found it strange myself that reseating the CPU fixed the problem. It should be the PSU. Since the PC was turned off and something bad happened when the inverter had the power cut from and might have send some weird voltage in the power grid. That spike should have been intercepted by the PSU. Will come back with more info sometimes soon!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I understand the strains COVID and financial situations affect things. And yes, for power anomalies that are not suppressed before hitting the power supply, we can only hope the power supply itself is able to tolerate without issues. But that always depends on the severity of the anomaly. Even the best supplies can only handle so much and the best we can hope for is the supply will simply shutdown before any damage to the supply occurs, or worse, before the destructive voltage is passed along to the connected components.

I recommend at the very least you make sure you have a current backup of any data you don't want lost.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
I understand the strains COVID and financial situations affect things. And yes, for power anomalies that are not suppressed before hitting the power supply, we can only hope the power supply itself is able to tolerate without issues. But that always depends on the severity of the anomaly. Even the best supplies can only handle so much and the best we can hope for is the supply will simply shutdown before any damage to the supply occurs, or worse, before the destructive voltage is passed along to the connected components.

I recommend at the very least you make sure you have a current backup of any data you don't want lost.
Yes, I am using an external SSD for any regular work, and I did disconnect the HDDs from my PC so I can test if the CPU will work, since i read HDD s might get damaged when turning of the pc from the button. I came here because it is an extreme situation I did not find a normal fix for!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
since i read HDD s might get damaged when turning of the pc from the button.
I don't understand what you mean here. Hard drives cannot be damaged this way. However, if Windows is not properly shut down first before turning off power, the data on the hard drive may become corrupt. But again, that would not damage the drive itself.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
I don't understand what you mean here. Hard drives cannot be damaged this way. However, if Windows is not properly shut down first before turning off power, the data on the hard drive may become corrupt. But again, that would not damage the drive itself.
You are right, my bad! I mistook power failure with power down from the button. Both can cause data corruption, only one can damage the HDD read/write heads! It did happen to me once and lost a 2TB HDD. The heads were not parked correctly and ended up literally soldered to the platters.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Both can cause data corruption, only one can damage the HDD read/write heads!
I am afraid you are still confused. A sudden loss of power, regardless how that happens, will not damage a hard drive (or its R/W heads). That is, if you hit the power button, yank the power cord out of the wall, or if Mother Nature kills your neighborhood transformer and knocks out the power on your power grid, that will NOT damage the hard drive. It just stops working.

However, that sudden loss of power can corrupt data on the drive "IF" there were still open files on the disk. So the data may be damaged/corrupt, the hard drive will remain unharmed.

What sometimes happens, though is when power is restored from a power outage, it does not always come back in a clean manner. Some times, it comes back with excessive surges or spike (occasionally seen as flickers in the lights). And it is those excessive power anomalies that can cause actual damage to the drive itself. Just another reason all computers should be protected by a "good" UPS with AVR.

As far as your heads getting soldered to the platters, that cannot happen when the power is removed. But if excessive voltages are applied, then it might. In any case, if that is what happened to your 2TB, it was your power supply that ultimately caused that sort of damage.

And for the record, the reason why drives "park" the R/W head over a designated "landing zone" is to prevent damage to platters caused by the R/W arm bouncing up and down during rough handling. So this typically would never be an issue with "stationary" PCs, except during transport. But it is a common/constant concern with hard drives installed in "mobile" computers (laptops) and external enclosures.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a thing that a drive can get damaged in the 80s if the heads weren't parked?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a thing that a drive can get damaged in the 80s if the heads weren't parked?
Not just in the 80s. Since hard drives first appeared in mobile devices all the way up to and including today. In the beginning, they didn't know why early laptop drives were failing so often. At first, they thought it was heat related, due to the inherent poor cooling in tiny laptop cases. But drive makers started analyzing those broken drives and discovered the physical damage to the platters and R/W heads, and figured out it was because the laptops were getting bounced and jostled about in taxis, airports, hotels, etc. by the business road warriors on the move. So automatic parking was coded into the disks firmware.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
I come back with inconclusive data, but here it is:

-I reseated the CPU and the PC was working perfectly fine
-I did some work on it (not gaming, not using it to full specs either), just moving files here and there and opening some programs
-I did a few restarts on it and a few shut downs, everything worked fine
-Went outside for 10 minutes, PC turned off, plugged into the power socket with the switch off (basically no power), came back, switched the power on, started pc, CPU error

I did some more testing without reseating CPU, plugging stuff in and out, no combination of stuff worked (found another thread that said GPU was not working properly, changed that too, still no luck)
I am guessing I will have to wait for the vaccine, then start going places. I did fix the power issue in the meantime, though I guess that was not the issue...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I would start by borrowing a known good PSU from another computer and swapping that in to see what happens. Since everything inside the case depends on good, clean, stable power, it is always good troubleshooting to start by verifying you are supplying it.

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
sounds like improper contact between processor pins and socket on the motherboard.....each time you reseat the processor, proper contact is maintained for a short while...and then lost..
i had a system that would fail to boot up in the mornings...the problem was that cold air from the ac would blow on the case and the ram would work loose from the ram slot..do you have a similar situation?
is there any history of damage to the processor socket?

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Damage on the socket sounds more or less weird on a PGA (AM4) socket, damaging a socket is more a LGA thing..

On my case it was simply something wrong with the motherboard as the same CPU works flawlessly on this newer board.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
sounds like improper contact between processor pins and socket on the motherboard.....each time you reseat the processor, proper contact is maintained for a short while...and then lost..
i had a system that would fail to boot up in the mornings...the problem was that cold air from the ac would blow on the case and the ram would work loose from the ram slot..do you have a similar situation?
is there any history of damage to the processor socket?
Nothing changed. It just did not work anymore a few days ago! No change in temperature, no change in position, no socket damage as far as I know. The PC worked for quite some time without me changing the thermal paste or reseating CPU.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532
is there dust/dirt on the processor socket?..is it clean?..

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Is it true that all hard drives have enough residual energy to park the heads in the case of a power cut? Landing the heads on the platters is not a great idea.
No. But they are programmed in the drive's firmware to return the R/W head to the landing zone after each read or write. So if the drive is not actually reading or writing at the moment power is lost, the R/W should be parked.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I doubt that. On my similar case, I could have my PC running for days without any problems, but even a reboot could result in a similar hang just like the OP has.

System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'd say since it fails to start once power is drained that the Motherboard is suspect, possibly a capacitor somewhere.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No. But they are programmed in the drive's firmware to return the R/W head to the landing zone after each read or write. So if the drive is not actually reading or writing at the moment power is lost, the R/W should be parked.
I seem to recall reading someplace that the spinning disks might be able to generate enough power to park the heads if there is a power cut.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read the guidelines/rules:
All posts and private messages have a "report post" button on the bottom of the post, click it when you feel something is inappropriate. Do not use your report as a "wild card invitation" to go back and add to the drama and therefore become part of the problem.

Thank You, and, have a good day.

EDIT: Also, stay on topic.

Last edited:
System Name Hand Made
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Cooling stock
Video Card(s) GTX 1660TI
Storage Adata SU800
Case Polar Light v2
Good news! I fixed the problem! As you can see in the attached image, some pins have a darker color at their base. That is thermal paste from when I build my pc first time (few years ago). I have tested it in multiple ways, no problems. Cleaned between the pins with a needle
Still got a lot to learn.... I checked only the socket, not the pins... Just thought of looking at the pins too the last time I pulled out the CPU and voila

Attachments

• 1618484530280.jpg
    1618484530280.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
An old toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol should get it real clean.