• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Codename C by Kylevdm

Kylevdm

Right, so the summer is here which means it is time for another project! I am going to be doing a scratch build! I have done some fun mods before, from the fractal in MNU to the wonderful project with Bill in MNPCTECH on the lanboy air :cough:

As I am only in Belgium for the summer holiday for only 3 months 1 of which I am not actually here as I am in fact back in Glasgow/ Essex/ Lanzarote... So the clock is ticking! With that a scrupulous mount of planning is going to be required! I am planning to have the main shell, basically every thing you require to install the basic system installed into done by July, but most of you will know what I am like with planning - horrendous! With all the fun LED and other RaspberryPi stuff done while I am back at uni with access to the wonderful electronics labs and store - yay free stuff!

For now all I actually know is that the project is going to be mATX, maybe even Mini-ITX. Watercooled, with some other fun stuff. Finally basically all aluminium (oh, forgot to mention that) will be black and there will be LOTs of RGB LED fun

Some of the 3D model of what will be the Chassis of the case, the sidepanels, front and back panels and the internal panels will connect to.

It will be 5mm acrylic which will be acrylic glued together... with 25mm angle for attaching all the other bits..

Before anyone gets on me for it, I have not got the final pictures of MNU done yet but what can you do? This is going to be what is technically my second scratch build although the first was made of wood and had an unfortunate date with a concrete floor resulting in the project being scraped. This current project is what I have dubbed Project: Codename C, the reasons for this will become apparent in the coming weeks as the project comes together. It will be used as a mini LAN system while I am at university so I do not have to hulk the 30kg or so of Project: MNU along. Now that we have form factor and the reasoning for building the case over with, not that you need a reason to mod a new case…

The case will be based on a design aspect that keeps coming back to me! I just cannot get rid of it! The case will have 5mm acrylic wedged between 2 pieces of aluminium (aluminum for all you Americans and apparently ENGLISH UK spellcheck as well…); this acrylic will be lit by LEDs. I am planning on having RGB LEDs controlled by a RaspberryPi – mostly because I can – which will allow them to remain on even when the PC is off if all goes to plan!

Now this project is going to be split into two different sections to be completed in two different countries, it is only fitting right? The first is the main construction; this will be done in Belgium where I have space and all my tools! The other is the electronics, and assembly. This will all be done in Glasgow where I have the use of the Glasgow University electronics laboratories and supplies

Now on with it eh even I got board of planning and I have had enough with typing guff and I am sure you have had enough reading it!

After getting some of the original concepts done and drawn up in either SketchUp, on paper or in my head I ventured down into the depths of our houses basement to find what I have lying about from previous projects...

Ok it is not that big, but in the boiler room I have a number of cardboard boxes courtesy of the movers. Anyway, I found a random assortment of stuff from Project: Deadline, and MNU and some aluminium sheets!

I have also got another large sheet of aluminium with a random assortment of acrylic that I have acquired of the last few years.

I was asked recently what I do with my projects when they are done, and the answer to that is that I reuse them. Project: Deadline is about to be recycled to make way for Project: Codename C!

I really only need the back plate as I really do not want to make one from scratch given my time limits this project moves to Glasgow with me in September!

After drilling out all the rivets there needs to be one of these pictures right?

Thanks all, please stay tuned and I WILL get the pictures for MNU up as soon as I can

Kylevdm

I am back!

First of all, I want to appologise for the quality of the images that I am about to show you, they were taken on my iPhone as the camera went MIA!

I have continued work on the PCI back plate, it needs a bit of a chop!

As Project: Deadline was an ATX build it had a full size backplate but for MATX we definitely do not need to have all the expansion slots! So I took a dremel to it, for both cutting and cleaning it up. I decided that something needed to go in the end to 'plug' the 'hole' so working on the whole acrylic and aluminium idea I stuck a piece of 5mm acrylic in the end!

I needed to grab some supplies to continue work.. and what better supplies then beer?

I chopped some aluminium to size and and viola, one end bracket with acrylic highlight! It is currently stuck together with friction and a good old bit of masking tape but a cheeky bit of super glue!

All glued up!

mod on :)