• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU clicking noise

kollapse

Hi, it's me with another PSU problem, as if my endless streak of PSU issues isn't enough.

My brand new Xigmatek NRP-MC651 PSU (only 1-2 weeks old) started making a strange clicking/crackling noise.
I pulled it out and listened carefully... It's the fan, 100% sure. This clicking noise slowly starts to occur as the fan starts to spin and fades away as the fan slowly lowers it's RPM.

I also tried to blow some air into the fan when the PSU is off so that I can make sure it's not the PSU, and while it's spinning it also generates the clicking noise (altough slighlty faint as I can't turn it's rpm high by just blowing on it).

The PSU does not overheat, it's only slightly warm on full system load.
I don't have any other capable backup PSU around so I can't RMA it.

My system doesn't require full 650 W, just about 500-550, so the fan controller will never set the fan on higher rpm.

The only capable PSU I have / will have is a TT TR2 550W will I sent to RMA and still waiting for it.
Should I worry about the fan getting loose and going razor style inside the PSU? How long until it fails completely.

Also, here's the most important part. I recorded this sound. Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otB-pSvFjqY

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Could be something as simple as a loose wire hitting the fanblade. Could be the fan itsel fis loose in some manner. I say contact Xigmatek and see if they offer an advanced RMA service.

Crucial offers the service with a twist. They will send out another product but require you to place the cost on a credit card, when they recieve the bad product they credit back to the card. Worked twice for me without a hitch.