• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU screws, tiny metal particles, general overthinking issues.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-A
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S Chromax; 3x Be Quiet! Silent wings 4 120mm case fans.
Memory Gskill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 CL16 (2×16)
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 12GB
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Boot), Samsung 2TB QVO (Bulk), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME (Xfast storage)
Display(s) Aoc 31.5" 1440p 75hz; Asus 24" 1080p 75hz (secondary)
Case Phanteks P300 white w/ P300A front mesh panel.
Power Supply Corsair RM750X 2021
I've probably posted something like this before but, new chassis, new shenanigans.

Rebuilt my rig inside a Silent Base 802 white case. Different to my last one in that the PSU screws into a removable bracket which allows it to be installed from the rear.

I have taken care to make sure I'm not aggressive with the bracket screws but when I went to remove the PSU for cable management the other day, I noticed tiny microscopic metal particles stuck to the threads when I removed them. I also saw what looked like little black paint chips on the floor of the are where the PSU sits. Later that night I removed the PSU with its bracket again and vacuumed around where the paint chips from the black screws had fallen in case there were any metal particles there as well. Carefully put the PSU back in again.

My concern is that I'm using the case as intended but the screws seem to be generating tiny amounts of metal particles which I obviously don't want anywhere near my PSU intake fan. I can't see if there's any actually inside the case without unscrewing the PSU bracket and then having to reinstall it. I also can't clean that area without going through this process too, which is self defeating as I have to put the screws back in again when I'm done.

So, it seems that the possibility of these microscopic metal particles being near my PSU intake fan is unavoidable when using the case as designed, and yet it's a possibility that makes me extremely uncomfortable due to the fact the PSU handles mains power and I'm not inclined towards arson.

That, or I'm overthinking into the fourth dimension about something irrelevant.

Thoughts? Anyone else bugged by this sort of thing? Or am I just that far gone lmao.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
I'm under the impression that the high-voltage sections - or for that matter, the low-voltage, high-amperage sections - of any properly designed PSU should have well-separated phases and rails. Tiny metal particles should not matter, and metal shavings large enough to matter are not going to be sucked up by a PSU fan. I'd be more worried about possibly stripped MB screws with shavings getting around and into memory and PCIe slots.

Though you are right to be cautious around mains power and the probably expensive setup.

Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Boot), Samsung 2TB QVO (Bulk), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME (Xfast storage)
I'm under the impression that the high-voltage sections - or for that matter, the low-voltage, high-amperage sections - of any properly designed PSU should have well-separated phases and rails. Tiny metal particles should not matter, and metal shavings large enough to matter are not going to be sucked up by a PSU fan. I'd be more worried about possibly stripped MB screws with shavings getting around and into memory and PCIe slots.

Though you are right to be cautious around mains power and the probably expensive setup.
It's got a 5800X3D and 7900XT, so it is fairly pricey. Given that I've used it as intended it would probably be covered under insurance contents policy but I don't even want to have to go there, you know? And as I said, double nope for that kinda thing when it's high voltage parts. Only thing that should ever be on fire is my framerates. I'm just struggling to find a way around the issue without simply ignoring it.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
one that for me is annoying is where you screw something and you get tiny metal scrap and sometimes it makes you worries since it can end somewhere in your system and kill it

one that for me is annoying is where you screw something and you get tiny metal scrap and sometimes it makes you worries since it can end somewhere in your system and kill it
You basically said what I said, but without making it into a 5-page essay. I need to be more like you.

yeah so what I've done is removed the power supply w/ its bracket again, did an even more thorough go-over with the hand vacuum (keeping it away from any PCBs and such), checked the PSU bay area for any metal specks and removed them, couldn't find any down by the PSU vent itself but vacuumed there anyway, and put the PSU back in being extra gentle with the screws and tightening them much less. Not much more I can do without putting lubricant on the screws, and I don't want to do that in case it messes with the case grounding.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I agree that you are overthinking this.

:lovetpu:

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
You are overthinking this.

You weren't doing anything wrong and what you noticed is by design. There is nothing you can do to avoid it, other than trying to remove the metal dust later. Problem is, vacuuming and blowing can do more harm than good. Static electricity involved in rapid air movement can damage some sensitive chips; causing them to fail instantly, or degrade.

Leave it be.

If this freaks you out, wait until you here about electrically conductive dust!

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I agree, you are overthinking. It’s fine, same as when you screw in fans for the first time there is bound to be some plastic dust. If you are REALLY worried you can try some compressed air cans to blow the particles away.