• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Upgrade Necessary?

ChromeCake

Current Specs:
CPU: i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad core (not overclocked)
Heatsink: Noctua NH-L9x65
Motherboard: ASrock z97 Extreme 3 LGA
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 4BG
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX
Monitor: LG UlgraGear 24gL600F (1080p)
Mouse: Logitech G400s
Keyboard: Black Widow Ultimate
PSU: M12ii-evo 620w

Here is a link with detailed PSU specs

I'm planning on replacing the graphics card and the monitor. The graphics card is Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 OC edition. The monitor is LG 27GN800-B, which is a similar monitor except it's 1440p. I have two concerns. First, the graphics card is the OC edition, and second, I think the speakers may take a lot of power, although I'm not certain about that. My plan is to limit the GPUs power a bit, since it is the OC version, although I'm not certain yet if there will be an option to set this permanently. With my current setup I use MSI afterburner to set a power limit, but I have to launch the software first.

I came across this thread (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/psu-expert-required-is-my-psu-good-enough-still.276906/) where someone is asking basically the same question about the same PSU, but his set up is a little different. His CPU takes 65W. Mine takes 109W under load. I am really trying to avoid replacing the PSU if possible. I have had to RMA this motherboard in the past. I'm not confident it will survive removing the old PSU cables from it. It's like they are welded on there. I haven't touched them in years. The last time I did the whole system wouldn't work until replaced the mobo. I never did find out exactly what happened, but it left me very hesitant to make any serious changes since. I do regularly take the GPU out for cleaning and I've added an SSD drive recently. But going so far as to actually remove the power supply makes me nervous, because the problem last time was that it wasn't booting.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Mine takes 109W under load.
Devils canyon i5 should not draw higher than 65w at stock settings

Also your i5 would bottleneck the RTX 3070 significantly, if you want my advice, upgrade your system as a whole, or buy a modest GPU once prices settles down, like a 1660 super, anything higher tier than that would be a bottleneck on a quad core 4 thread cpu.

As of your current PSU, yes it should handle it fine, just dont overclock it or bybass its power limit

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Intel has this cool thing called Power Gadget which tells you how much power it's pulling. Hwinfo and XTU do the same thing.

You're fine on the power part. At most you'll pull maybe 450w.

Current Specs:
CPU: i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad core (not overclocked)
Heatsink: Noctua NH-L9x65
Motherboard: ASrock z97 Extreme 3 LGA
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 4BG
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX
Monitor: LG UlgraGear 24gL600F (1080p)
Mouse: Logitech G400s
Keyboard: Black Widow Ultimate
PSU: M12ii-evo 620w

Here is a link with detailed PSU specs

I'm planning on replacing the graphics card and the monitor. The graphics card is Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 OC edition. The monitor is LG 27GN800-B, which is a similar monitor except it's 1440p. I have two concerns. First, the graphics card is the OC edition, and second, I think the speakers may take a lot of power, although I'm not certain about that. My plan is to limit the GPUs power a bit, since it is the OC version, although I'm not certain yet if there will be an option to set this permanently. With my current setup I use MSI afterburner to set a power limit, but I have to launch the software first.

I came across this thread (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/psu-expert-required-is-my-psu-good-enough-still.276906/) where someone is asking basically the same question about the same PSU, but his set up is a little different. His CPU takes 65W. Mine takes 109W under load. I am really trying to avoid replacing the PSU if possible. I have had to RMA this motherboard in the past. I'm not confident it will survive removing the old PSU cables from it. It's like they are welded on there. I haven't touched them in years. The last time I did the whole system wouldn't work until replaced the mobo. I never did find out exactly what happened, but it left me very hesitant to make any serious changes since. I do regularly take the GPU out for cleaning and I've added an SSD drive recently. But going so far as to actually remove the power supply makes me nervous, because the problem last time was that it wasn't booting.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'd replace the board, cpu & RAM before I went ahead and purchased a new 1440P monitor.

i5 11400F - $175 USD
B560 MB - $120/$140+ for a decent one
2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL16 RAM - $85/$90 USD

Last edited: