• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PUBG Review-bombed Due to In-game Ads on Steam

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
True, i have seen a lot of bad reviews by gamers that have spent more than 500 hours on that game. How do you hate a game and still play more than 500 hours. I loved Witcher 3 and have clocked 110 hours max.
A negative review from someone who clocked in over 500 hours tells a lot. That means a true, hardcore fan is disappointed. And you know you screwed up if a core player has a negative stance towards your game. So in a way the game was good for him up until a certain point, which shows that the dev either strayed from a goal, didn't deliver on a promise, added a feature that separates the community, added features that are frowned upon (see in game ads for a 30 buck product), or simply doesn't care anymore.
A positive or a negative review from someone who played 0.6h means jack shit.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
A negative review from someone who clocked in over 500 hours tells a lot. That means a true, hardcore fan is disappointed. And you know you screwed up if a core player has a negative stance towards your game. So in a way the game was good for him up until a certain point, which shows that the dev either strayed from a goal, didn't deliver on a promise, added a feature that separates the community, added features that are frowned upon (see in game ads for a 30 buck product), or simply doesn't care anymore.
I'm not familiar with this title, but in general, online games are usually just trading platforms. You go through some canned content, you reach the end-game, then all there is to do is grinding and trading. To the point the most requested feature for the (otherwise highly acclaimed) Path of Exile is not about skills, classes or challenges, it's about trading.

So yeah, you can get drawn in for quite some time before frustration sets in.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I can't say I've noticed any in-game ads. Group of us, once in a great while, will jump on an Asian server because it just seems we find dumber players on the Asian servers (or maybe that's why so many Asian players are on the US servers, because they're tired of playing with dumb people).

Even in games that have deliberate in-game ads, I don't care that they do. I'm not staring at the ad while I'm playing, I ignore them because I'm focused on the game and not some ad. Much like billboards when I'm driving - sure they're there and easy to see, but I don't remember a single ad I saw on a billboard as I drove into work this morning. People are making a big stink out of nothing.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I can't say I've noticed any in-game ads. Group of us, once in a great while, will jump on an Asian server because it just seems we find dumber players on the Asian servers (or maybe that's why so many Asian players are on the US servers, because they're tired of playing with dumb people).

Even in games that have deliberate in-game ads, I don't care that they do. I'm not staring at the ad while I'm playing, I ignore them because I'm focused on the game and not some ad. Much like billboards when I'm driving - sure they're there and easy to see, but I don't remember a single ad I saw on a billboard as I drove into work this morning. People are making a big stink out of nothing.
Apparently you're not too big on reading either. This is only for players in China and ads are on loading screens.

Or maybe it's getting negative reviews because, maybe just maybe, the game actually sucks a big fat d__k. The lag, desync, developer's practices in regards to banning innocent people for stream sniping, etc. The list goes on and on. But don't worry guys, it's e-sports ready!

The point is that you cannot blindly state that 25 dollars is cheap because you cannot compare this in its current form to any of those 50/100 dollar games you referred to.

Wrecked. He can't say anything about that, entirely factual and I paid $30 months ago, game was buggy for the month I played it.
Indeed.

Also...... The game runs like thick turd on a steep gradient, and uses 1 entire CPU thread for everything, after they specifically released a patch to "support 6+ cores". It's great. I know its early access... but how about making the game WORK properly before adding in micro-transactions and BS ads.

Come on, now. Come on.

How I see this is: "lets make it early access! then $ starts to flow in!" Then suddenly "why bother we are already making cash so whatever throw in some adds and sh!t."

Disclaimer - I do play and enjoy this game. I also simultaneously think its optimization and mechanics are BS. Hows some real jump mechanics there. Thanks that one map is great though. Pity about the PS1 textures though.

and... /rant

They are clearly lazy as fudge. There are so many things they could fix or improve but they don't. Fortnite might actually care about making a good game that works right and improves, we'll see.

True, i have seen a lot of bad reviews by gamers that have spent more than 500 hours on that game. How do you hate a game and still play more than 500 hours. I loved Witcher 3 and have clocked 110 hours max.
Lol, look at Dota2 players. There's a love/hate relationship we have with the game. It takes a long time or certain type of player to just play and not get emotional over it. I used to rage a lot back in the day but now I'm just like "Eh, whatever, I played my best." And take my -25(a loss of MMR(rating)).

Last edited by a moderator:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

I get your point, but I kinda disagree, slightly depending on the reason for the negative review. I've read many reviews on various games from people with hundreds of hours essentially reading like "not developed fast enough", which is daft. Or "dev don't care anymore" ... which I kinda get why someone would be upset about, but also, didn't you just clock 1000 hours in the game you payed €30 for? Some of them reads "dev ruined it" which is of no matter to a new player because ... how can I know what it was like before? The only way this complaint is pertinent to a new player is if the game actually don't work anymore. "Play something else, the dev don't maintain it anymore" is also a strange thing to say, especially for single player games. This is true in all cases btw.

The worst are the truly passionate reviews from hardcore players. You can't trust hardcore players, they have their own ideas about what priority things should have, and at least for me as a casual gamer their views literally don't concern me. "The end game is ruined because ThingX now is 2.3% instead of 2.5% BOYCOTT AND HATE MAIL COMMENCE", but it takes dozens of hours to get to the point where you care.

And then there's the lack of scores, which makes the whole thing moot and degrades it from reviews to fanwars.

Just a quick look on Steam and Darkest Dungeon, which I have not played btw, and the top review is this:

I write this review with a heavy heart.

First full disclosure, I am a kickstarter backer for this game from one of the higher tiers and have been playing since the first build was released.

This game on a techniqual side runs very well, I seldom encounter bugs, crashes or general wonk. It's very well optimized running smoothly on even old laptops witout much configuration.

But from a design perspective its beyond infuriating and time wasting. The expansion that was recently released became the straw that broke the camels back and made me write this review.

This game is a grindfest, which would be okey if it was not a randomized RNG driven grindfest, which wouln't be the worst if it wasnt a UNBALANCED AND UNFAIR RNG driven grindfest.

I have in this moment spent close to or more than 100 hundred hours in this game and I havent even gotten close to killing a end game boss.

The combat is turn based, focused around DMG, Tick dmg (Blight, Bleed), Buffs, Debuffs, Healing and most importantly Stress.

Where this combat works well is in showcasting a wide variety of playstyles for the different characters you can recruit and in making you feel like you can prepare well for different kinds of encounters.

Where it fails is in the fact that it is 100% based on luck. This is not so noticable in the earlier stages of the game when most enemies can be felled by just having adequete equipment and consumables at hand.

In the later stages you can lose HOURS of progress spent on leveling up a specific hero before you even have a chance to have a turn yourself. For an example I will showcase my last encounter.

Party enters dungeon.

Party gets suprised despite full torches. (Suprised means that you get an debuff that forces you to wait until the enemies all have made an move each, regardless of speed)

Enemy party gets a critical hit 2 times in a row on a single party member. Increasing my stress to several party members to 50% (Death due to stress happens at 200% and a mission generaly lasts you 5-9 encounters) which brings my party member to a death state in spite of having plus 36 dodge and full hp at lvl 6. The third enemy casts a stress spell increasing most of my party to 70% stress before the 4th member kills my bounty hunter who was in a death state.

In one way, this is the charm of the game, no battle plays out quite like the last one you had. You're under constant pressure and the tension in each fight is very apperent since the game is unpredicatble in nature.

But at some level you also gotta look at the bigger picture. Is the gorgeous presentation and the fun combat system really rewarding enough to balance out the needless frustration?

When I buy gear and level up my characters I want to see improvement. Never in Darkest dungeon do you get to feel powerful or get to see the fruit of your hours of labour because the game values being difficult much higher than it values fun or being well designed.

And it is absolutely not a poor game, just not one worthy of the time it asks you to invest on a whim. If you feel like having to study a wiki before interacting with a game should be mandatory then maybe you should consider that its not like that for everyone.

Because having a character that takes hours to level up taken from you without you being able to interact with the process in a GAME is unexcusable.

And there's no way to prepare your party against criticals or numbers failing you.
In the same way thats there's no way to fully explain how dissapointed this game has made me.

But at least HP Lovecraft finaly got a faithul adaption.

It's baffling. HOW THE FUDGE DID HE TAKE 100 HOURS TO REALIZE WHAT TYE GAME IS? And obviously he hasn't played many of those kinds of RPGs, and it feels like he's just not into that kind of game, or/and that he has missed something important. Which begs the question: how many of the reviews are from people not understanding the game, or from people who wants to be a fan of the genre but isn't, or from people wanting something totally different than what the devs intended?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The in-game ads are only present in loading screens

Wow, people are really whiny sometimes. The ads don't disrupt gameplay at all. Stop complaining. This whole "I refuse to see advertisements" attitude needs to go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Wow, people are really whiny bitches sometimes. The ads don't disrupt gameplay at all. Stop complaining. This whole "I refuse to see advertisements" attitude needs to go away.
People know ads from the web: slow loading times, lack of responsiveness when the ad server is slow/down, random scripts running in their browsers. So yes, when I see an ad I ready my pitchfork first.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
People know ads from the web: slow loading times, lack of responsiveness when the ad server is slow/down, random scripts running in their browsers. So yes, when I see an ad I ready my pitchfork first.

Static image ads on a on-line game loading screen don't cause any of those issue.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Static image ads on a on-line game loading screen don't cause any of those issue.
Depends on where they're served from (though even if they cause lag, it's still on a loading screen). No ads don't cause any of those issues, that's for sure.
Still, a paid for client with ads is double dipping.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Still, a paid for client with ads is double dipping.

I'm ok with double dipping if it keeps the price of the game $25.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Wow, people are really whiny bitches sometimes. The ads don't disrupt gameplay at all. Stop complaining. This whole "I refuse to see advertisements" attitude needs to go away.
Not sure if trolling or...

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
May I remind people that when you pay 30 EURO for a game in beta you pay less as a "deal" where you basically fund the creation of the game (that could not have been done otherwise without outside investors) Then the full game comes out and cost more. That is the model. (Usually) And to be honest; PUBG still feel very much beta. There is alot of stuff that should be fixed before going final. So to people that cant understand the people complaining; people paid a rather hefty 30 euro to support a beta-development that now adds advertisement when there is SO many other issues that would need more attention (netcode, stability, performance etc.) They got 18 million sold copies; Im pretty sure they got money to develop the game without advertisement ingame.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
May I remind people that when you pay 30 EURO for a game in beta you pay less as a "deal" where you basically fund the creation of the game (that could not have been done otherwise without outside investors) Then the full game comes out and cost more. That is the model. (Usually) And to be honest; PUBG still feel very much beta. There is alot of stuff that should be fixed before going final. So to people that cant understand the people complaining; people paid a rather hefty 30 euro to support a beta-development that now adds advertisement when there is SO many other issues that would need more attention (netcode, stability, performance etc.) They got 18 million sold copies; Im pretty sure they got money to develop the game without advertisement ingame.
They will just change all the textures and dialog, give it a new name, sell it to EA and retire.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Let's be real about it; PUBG is a hype. There is no indication of it being here to stay as a long term investment. So far, the IP owners have shown a rather quick growth of arrogance and a rather slow rate of progress. This can be business related as things are getting set up for more, or its a sign of an early access title that will sink eventually.

btw another big reason I am not a fan of ads in games, is because generally, it a sign of quality degrading and a business model that is not effective without it. That's bad, because it means the game cannot stand on its own quality and be profitable - it means it can't really be sustained. And that is a shocking idea given the amount of copies sold. The only other explanation is pure greed, because 18M is a pretty nice target audience.

There is really only one neat way of getting advertising in games, and that is when it fits the game setting, like billboards in GTA or sponsoring on cars and football players etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bug
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I don't mind adds if they keep the game very low priced, and even for free.
This is doing miracles on mobile devices. I never understood why the PC/consoles are not following the trend??

Are you seriously asking why PC gamers don't want a moible like experience on their PC? /facepalm

If the game is going to have ads, make it free. If you are going to constantly update the game and that requires money, either charge or subscription fee or force ads on free players so long as you are providing good content. Having ads AND a micro-transaction shop on a game I paid for is out of the question. FYI I would be willing to pay $100 for some of the better games.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Are you seriously asking why PC gamers don't want a mobile like experience on their PC? /facepalm

If the game is going to have ads, make it free. If you are going to constantly update the game and that requires money, either charge or subscription fee or force ads on free players so long as you are providing good content. Having ads AND a micro-transaction shop on a game I paid for is out of the question. FYI I would be willing to pay $100 for some of the better games.
You misunderstood. I meant there can be 3 options to sell the game. One to make it free, but to use micro-transactions and/or adds in the game, another one, just like now, pay once and be done with it, no micro-transaction, no adds, no anything.
A hybrid solution, which I personally very much prefer, is to pay for the initial purchase, which should be less than 20$, and then have adds in the game, on form on billboards advertising or similar, branded clothes/outfits, cars, etc. But definitely, definitely, no adds that stop the game, just like those shits on TV during Movies/TV Shows.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
One to make it free, but to use micro-transactions and/or adds in the game

There are some games on PC that follow this revenue model.