• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QNAP TS-569 Pro

Today, we get to fully evaluate another high-end SMB NAS server from QNAP. The TS-569 Pro can accommodate up to five HDDs for a total of 20TB storage with 4TB drives. This NAS is also compatible with QNAP's new feature, the HD Station, which transforms it into a fully capable media player.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
$1000 for a NAS that averages around 110 MB/s ?????? Obviously this isn't true hardware raid. For the same performance buy a $40 controller card and put it in a $50 case and install freeNAS on it. boom. these companies are jokes!

110 MB/s is the max a NAS can achieve without LACP in action. With LACP or with multiple systems it can do double as that in optimal conditions. With my managed switch, although it supports LACP, I couldn't enable it/make it work so the max speed was restricted to 110 MB/s.

Also pure network transfer speed by no means should be the only factor on which such servers should be rated. With free NAS you have zero support if something goes wrong, you have to set up the machine on your own (so have the knowledge to do this) etc. On the other hand as you said it will cost much less so it is up to the users to decide what they want.

In NAS servers like QNAP and Synology ones you also pay for the support and for the custom made/cooked software which offers great flexibility and makes life much easier. Also if something goes wrong and even if you experience a crash you will have proper support by them (in some cases I heard that remotely they even restored the RAID/data). Finally, if these companies were jokes they surely wouldn't have so many years in this area and would vanish from the start. On the contrary they are highly successful and this means a lot.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
110 MB/s is the max a NAS can achieve without LACP in action. With LACP or with multiple systems it can do double as that in optimal conditions. With my switch, although it supports LACP, I couldn't enable it so the max speed was restricted to 110 MB/s.

what about benchmarks like hdparm and the like that measure read/write performance without transferring data over a network?

the ATTO test in raid 5 barely hits 125 MB/s . That is unacceptable for a $1000 device.

I run such tests through my custom made software and also through the Intel tool. Performance there surely isn't optimal but on the other hand I haven't tested a custom made free NAS server yet to have a comparison point (with the same HDDs of course that I used on all NAS).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
there is a work-around in anything as it seems :) I wasn't aware of this plugin but does it work in all times and with HD files/audio, because I saw some users reporting problems. Unfortunately I don't have a modern AVR with HDMI I/O to test it.

110 MB/s is the max a NAS can achieve without LACP in action. With LACP or with multiple systems it can do double as that in optimal conditions. With my managed switch, although it supports LACP, I couldn't enable it/make it work so the max speed was restricted to 110 MB/s.

Also pure network transfer speed by no means should be the only factor on which such servers should be rated. With free NAS you have zero support if something goes wrong, you have to set up the machine on your own (so have the knowledge to do this) etc. On the other hand as you said it will cost much less so it is up to the users to decide what they want.

In NAS servers like QNAP and Synology ones you also pay for the support and for the custom made/cooked software which offers great flexibility and makes life much easier. Also if something goes wrong and even if you experience a crash you will have proper support by them (in some cases I heard that remotely they even restored the RAID/data). Finally, if these companies were jokes they surely wouldn't have so many years in this area and would vanish from the start. On the contrary they are highly successful and this means a lot.

I'll still never understand the appeal of consumer NASes for DIYers though. Maybe over 3-4 years ago when low-power PC builds weren't easy or too many compromises you could at least make the power draw argument. But nowadays the power draw argument doesn't hold either...my 3570k/GTX 660/SSD/3 HDD/Seasonic 450W system idles at ~40W (HDD don't spin down) and with 3 HDD load (Samsung HD204UI) runs about 50W. It could almost match this NAS on power draw with no graphics card and a lesser CPU, and cost waaay less even with an OS, or you could make a similar atom build. What's that leave...size? Fractal Design 304.

The reason these companies are successful? The vast majority of people aren't DIYers.