• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quadro upgrade for my T7610

CADDrone

I'm looking at upgrading my Graphics Card. But before I do that, I want to make sure it will work in my current computer. Can anyone provide some guidance on where I can go to get this info?

My current setup is used as a CAD computer with 3D capabilities:
> Dell Precision T7610 / PCIe 3.0 x 16
> NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (3GB), PCIe 2.0 x 16

I have a short list of possible Quadro Cards that are Certified for AutoCAD, but I would like to verify which, if any of them, are guaranteed to work in my T7610 before I spend the $$$ and find out otherwise.

All the cards below fit the PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot, I'm just not familiar enough with graphics cards to know if there are any other criteria I should be looking at.
> Quadro K6000, M5000, M6000, GP100, GV100, M6000 (24 GB), RTX 4000, RTX 5000, RTX 6000, RTX 8000

Thanks,

I own an engineering consulting firm and we started building our own CAD boxes in 1992. We have been building boxes for AutoCAD 2D / 3D since 1992. We have never installed a Quadro card in a single build for AutoCAD 2D / 3D unless that box was going to be called upon to do rendering ... which means other the AutoCAD ... Maya, 3DS Max, Inventor.

Good reading here:

Reading their FAQ ....

1. Agreed more cores does squat in AutoCAD
2. I find that a typical hi end GTX / RTX card will match the most expensive Quadro at 3-4 times the price. Yes, using a certified card qualifies you for support .... but AutoCAD charges for support . We've never used it, our AutoCAD dealer provides support free of charge.
3. We use 2 x 8GB .... when we first set up our office network,,, after hours Doom marathons was the norm. Everyone has a home PC so they can work from home and they all serve as home family gaming boxes.
4. Drawing loading times are nothing .... our test box has (2) Samsung Pro SSDs ... (20 2 TB SSDs and, till recently an old 7200 rpm HD .... tested loading time are identical. OS and AutoCAD are on 1st SSD.... we put same file on the 2nd SSD, SSHD and the HD and all took same exact time. Of course, if I was going to make any money pushing you to buy more expensive hardware I might change my mind.
5. Agreed i-9 10900KF is our currently recommended CPU but also ha e 4 core / 8 thread systems here doing fine, including laptops. The PCs are a helluva lot faster than our users. myself included.
6. Overclock... hell yeah :) .... does it increase productivity ... no, the user is always the bottleneck... but we are engineers aka nerds... so if i don't do it they will.
7. Are they good for other sodtwarew ... If ya wanan render, then ya want a Quadro. I have a freelance CAD operator who does redering ... 3 generations back he asked mw to build a dual system in a single case.... i7 / RTX in ATCX case and an AMD lotsa cores ITX system with quadro .... after we spend 20 minutes going over his partslist ... the enxt day... well this or that is coming out so I gonna wait ... that was almost 3 years ago.

CADDrone

@John Naylor, thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated and I will take a look at the pugetsystems article in just a few.

However, not quite what I'm looking for. I would like to verify which, if any, of the cards I listed are guaranteed to work in my T7610 before I spend the $$$ and find out otherwise.

Is there someone or some place I can go to figure this out?

Thanks,