• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quake II RTX Updated with More Sharper Textures and Better Lighting Effects

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today released a major update to Quake II RTX that add even more eye-candy to the game, leveraging RTX. Quake II RTX, promoted by NVIDIA, is a playable tech-demo for its RTX real-time ray-tracing technology that's based on a classic 3D game so it runs on nearly all DXR-compatible graphics cards (GeForce GTX 10-series, 16-series, and RTX 20-series). It comes with id Software's shareware 1st episode content, although you can add your own licensed game data for the full game.

With version 1.2, NVIDIA added support for a boatload of modern technology, beginning with support for dynamic resolution scaling. Much like watching online videos with resolution toggle set to "auto" (which adjusts resolution based on your Internet bandwidth), dynamic resolution scaling adjusts the rendering resolution of your game on the fly in pursuit of a frames-per-second target. NVIDIA also remastered several textures of the game, increasing texture detail. Over 400 textures have been redone by NVIDIA, adding detail. Support is added for multiple reflection/refraction bounces, which makes it possible to create a "hall of mirrors" effect. NVIDIA implemented light shafts or god rays throughout the game, including underwater light shafts. Light shafts also get reflected off certain metal or glass surfaces. NVIDIA also improved the AI denoiser for the game. Metal and glass surfaces are made to appear more photo-real thanks to denoiser improvements. Find many other technical changes in the official change-log below.

DOWNLOAD: Quake II RTX v1.2
New Features:
  • Added support for dynamic resolution scaling that adjusts rendering resolution to meet an FPS target.
  • Added support for multiple reflection or refraction bounces.
  • Added light coloring by tinted glass.
  • Added support for security camera views on some monitors in the game.
  • Added god rays in reflections and refractions, improved god rays filtering.
  • Added a spatial denoiser for the specular channel.
  • Added support for loading custom sky (portal) light meshes from.obj files, and added portal light definitions for many maps in the base game.
  • Added triangular lights for laser beams: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/43
  • Added "shader balls" to the shipping builds.
  • Added cvar 'pt_accumulation_rendering_framenum' to control how many frames to accumulate in the reference mode.
  • Added cvar 'pt_show_sky' to make analyzing skybox geometry easier.
Fixed Issues:
  • Fixed the stutter caused by Steam overlay by updating to the latest version of SDL2.
  • Fixed Stroggos atmospheric scattering (sky color) and overall sky brightness.
  • Fixed light scattering on the clouds.
  • Fixed the issue with overexposed player setup screen: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/18
  • Fixed the sudden darkening of the screen: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/26
  • Fixed the "PF_centerprintf to a non-client" warnings that happened on the "command" map when the computers are blown up, instead of informative on-screen messages.
  • Fixed missing GI on reflections of the first person model.

Denoising and image stability improvements:
  • Improved image quality and temporal stability of reflections and refractions by computing correct motion vectors for reflected surfaces and surfaces visible through flat glass.
  • Disabled the pixel jitter when temporal AA is turned off.
  • Added sample jitter to the spatial denoiser to improve the noise patterns that appear after light invalidation.
  • Improved image stability around blinking lights by using the light intensities from the previous frame on gradient pixels.
  • Improved stability of indirect lighting from sphere lights by limiting their contribution.
  • Added storage scaling for all lighting channels to avoid color quantization.
  • Fixed flickering that happened when the number of dynamic lights changes.
  • Improved sharpness of textured glass and similar transmissive effects by passing them around the denoiser.
  • Added multiple importance sampling of specular reflections of direct lights.
  • Replaced sphere lights that were used for wall lamps (mostly in the "train" map) with polygon lights to reduce noise.
  • Added an upper limit on sky luminance to avoid oversampling the sky in shadowed areas and thus reduce noise from direct lights.
  • Added light sampling correction based on statistical per-cluster light visibility. The idea is, if we see that a light is usually not visible, let's not sample it so much.
Material improvements:
  • Metals are now rendered much better thanks to the denoiser and BRDF improvements.
  • Over 400 textures have been adjusted or repainted.
  • Removed the nonlinear transform from emissive textures, and reduced the negative bias applied to them.
  • Force light materials to be opaque to make the laser lights in mine maps appear in reflections.
  • Restore specular on materials with roughness = 1, but make specular on rough dielectrics much dimmer.
Shading and BRDF improvements:
  • Fixed scaling of diffuse and specular reflections: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/37
  • Fixed relative brightness and spotlight terms for different light types.
  • Hemisphere sampling for indirect diffuse tuned to make the results better match the cosine-weighted sampling in reference mode.
  • Trace more specular rays for shiny metals that do not need indirect diffuse lighting.
  • Fixed the misdirection of second bounce lighting into the diffuse channel when the light path starts as specular on the primary surface: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/25
  • Replaced regular NDF sampling for specular bounce rays with visible NDF sampling: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/40
  • Tuned fake specular to be closer to reference specular.
  • Added normalization of normal map vectors on load to avoid false roughness adjustments by the Toksvig factor.
  • Improved roughness correction to not happen on texture magnification, and to better handle cases like zero roughness.
  • Fixed the computation of N.V to avoid potential NaNs: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX/issues/23
Miscellaneous Improvements:
  • Removed the multiplayer specific sun position setting, and changed the remaining setting to be morning by default.
  • Changed the default value of texture LOD bias to 0 for extra sharpness.
  • Use nearest filter for upscaling from 50% resolution scale (a.k.a integer scaling).
  • Made the brightness of sprites, beams, particles, smoke, and effects like quad damage be similar to overall scene brightness, to avoid having them washed out under direct sunlight.
  • Made the explosions and other sprites appear in low-roughness specular reflections.
  • Changed the flare lights to be derived from the flare model entity instead of the effect event, which makes the lights follow the flares smoothly in flight, and reduces flicker that was due to frequent light creation and destruction.
  • Removed insane and dead soldiers with 'nomonsters 1'.
  • Random number generator now produces enough different sequences to cover thousands of frames for reference mode accumulation.
  • The 'pt_direct_polygon_lights' cvar has a new meaning when set to -1: all polygon lights are sampled through the indirect lighting shader, for comparison purposes.
  • Moved the first person player model a bit backwards to avoid having it block reflections.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
2019, the year I beat Quake 2, 3 times... o_O

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
And better Plastic looks...

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
compatible with gamespy? lets get it on with the killing!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yawn....... let me know when they do Unreal Tournament

Holy crap I'd be ALL over that. Ut99 RT? I'll insta buy a 2060S just to play it.

But Q2, I mean its nice as a demo, but it has a very high been there done that vibe to it... and its far fetched to say the RT adds realism in any sort of way.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Shouldn't that be "More Sharper Textures and More Better Lighting Effects"?

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce ÎĽDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Shouldn't that be "More Sharper Textures and More Better Lighting Effects"?
I came to this comments section with the sole purpose of pointing out "more sharper". Well done, though, as you clearly improved on the original.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
I like the fact that Nvidia went back to the best FPS game to try to make their point.

We still play Q2: ground zero.

We play on a lan, with cheats enabled. :)

We allow one give all on spawn, and one give all after each kill.

We've been playing together a long time, and there are no cheaters; when our guys get frustrated enough to cheat, you notice Fred's in GOdMode, lol.

Or Jimmy using NoClip to hide in a wall, lol.

Try this with your local group; there's not fighting over the big items, and it's a WFO fragfest.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I like the fact that Nvidia went back to the best FPS game to try to make their point.

We still play Q2: ground zero.

We play on a lan, with cheats enabled. :)

We allow one give all on spawn, and one give all after each kill.

We've been playing together a long time, and there are no cheaters; when our guys get frustrated enough to cheat, you notice Fred's in GOdMode, lol.

Or Jimmy using NoClip to hide in a wall, lol.

Try this with your local group; there's not fighting over the big items, and it's a WFO fragfest.
I made 15 DM maps for Q2 that I still have filed away. I’m curious how they would look in RT mode, but just not curious enough to spring for an RTX card.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
You know, I've got a ton of maps for various games, but the best ones are Research hangar, The longest three feet, and one that a space station I can't remember the name of right now; I'll look it up after dinner.

The last version I played was in UT3.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
played q2 rtx demo,really entertaining.wish nvidia did more of those remakes.

But Q2, I mean its nice as a demo, but it has a very high been there done that vibe to it... and its far fetched to say the RT adds realism in any sort of way.
playing some levels I was really surprissed to see what shadows and reflections are really supposed to look like.To see the shadow of a guy coming from around the corner first was pretty sick.the more is happening the better.

I mean,if the question is if realistic light,reflections and shadows add to realiism it's hard to claim they don't :laugh:

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
You know, I've got a ton of maps for various games, but the best ones are Research hangar, The longest three feet, and one that a space station I can't remember the name of right now; I'll look it up after dinner.

The last version I played was in UT3.

DM-Phobus or DM-Morpheus? :)

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
played q2 rtx demo,really entertaining.wish nvidia did more of those remakes.

playing some levels I was really surprissed to see what shadows and reflections are really supposed to look like.To see the shadow of a guy coming from around the corner first was pretty sick.the more is happening the better.

I mean,if the question is if realistic light,reflections and shadows add to realiism it's hard to claim they don't :laugh:

Well... what I've seen looked pretty weird tbf. Its a nice proof of concept, sure... When you zoom in on the individual effects, yes, its nice. But the whole picture/atmosphere doesn't really work that well IMO, and realistic it sure as hell is not. Lighting still seems 'off'

Realism, shadows... what happened here then? I get the sense its not all that 'it just works' at all, but rather needs to be fine tuned meticulously. Or put differently: if you don't code for it, its not happening. Sounds quite similar to rasterized ;)

1574845106284.png

Here's another fantastic not rendered shadow. But it gets better. There is a point light behind the dude in front. Yet the shadows from those blocks are calculated from a different light source apparently somewhere in the ceiling... but then why does the point light still render shadow in the foreground?!

Trickery, I say

1574845583393.png

Just for comparison purposes. Let's look at a dynamic shadow in Dead Space (2008). It runs on a toaster. Oh no, jaggies... :p

1574852646261.png

Don't let the RTX hype blind you from what's what.

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Well... what I've seen looked pretty weird tbf. Its a nice proof of concept, sure... When you zoom in on the individual effects, yes, its nice. But the whole picture/atmosphere doesn't really work that well IMO, and realistic it sure as hell is not. Lighting still seems 'off'

Realism, shadows... what happened here then? I get the sense its not all that 'it just works' at all, but rather needs to be fine tuned meticulously. Or put differently: if you don't code for it, its not happening. Sounds quite similar to rasterized ;)

View attachment 137755

Here's another fantastic not rendered shadow. But it gets better. There is a point light behind the dude in front. Yet the shadows from those blocks are calculated from a different light source apparently somewhere in the ceiling... but then why does the point light still render shadow in the foreground?!

Trickery, I say

View attachment 137757

Just for comparison purposes. Let's look at a dynamic shadow in Dead Space (2008). It runs on a toaster. Oh no, jaggies... :p

View attachment 137764

Good catch. If it is supposed to be "RT on" there should be reflections and shadows were a light source and an object blocking it are present. In this case it is not like that so.... What the hell is that? That puts the Q2 RT into question or maybe the in-game light-source is not considered a light source in the game and the RT is not applied? Anyway this is weird.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

View attachment 137755

Trickery, I say

View attachment 137757

View attachment 137764

Having made many maps for Q2 as a hobby, the only thing I can suspect is that in these cases the light texture isn’t doing the lighting entirely. Yes, the textures in the game provided some light, but it was never enough to properly light the room, as if you ramp up the texture intensity too high, it washes out the light texture and looks unnatural (there is no bloom or HDR). The solution is to add an invisible light source. You could approach this two ways—put low intensity lights in front of every light source, or put a bigger light out in the middle of the room, or even both depending on the mood you are trying to achieve. I’m not sure if RTX Quake actually went in and reconfigured this, or if it is still using the lighting tricks above. It would quickly explain the issues you’re finding, as there may not be “true” lighting going on at the design level.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

View attachment 137755

Trickery, I say

View attachment 137757

In the first screen shot I can see the very very soft shadow that is cast by that "soldier" on the ground. Since the light source is red, it doesn't reflect nearly as much as a bright white light would. For those ammo boxes behind him, there's white point lights directly above the boxes, as well as a little bit in front and to the sides; I wouldn't expect much if any shadow from them.

In the second shot, I can't explain the one guy in the back left. The guy in front and the ammo boxes, there's a big white point light facing that direction, casting that shadow, and those boxes are too close to the wall to catch the light from behind them that is casting the soldier closer to the screen's shadow towards you. He's also close enough and out of the light to your back's range to cast shadow behind him and be lit from the front.

I'm not positive, but I think they're only really calculating a few rays per area, may have been increased for the 1.2 patch. This also depends on if they're maxing out the ray quality or have that dynamic resolution option turned on.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
In the first screen shot I can see the very very soft shadow that is cast by that "soldier" on the ground. Since the light source is red, it doesn't reflect nearly as much as a bright white light would. For those ammo boxes behind him, there's white point lights directly above the boxes, as well as a little bit in front and to the sides; I wouldn't expect much if any shadow from them.

In the second shot, I can't explain the one guy in the back left. The guy in front and the ammo boxes, there's a big white point light facing that direction, casting that shadow, and those boxes are too close to the wall to catch the light from behind them that is casting the soldier closer to the screen's shadow towards you. He's also close enough and out of the light to your back's range to cast shadow behind him and be lit from the front.

I'm not positive, but I think they're only really calculating a few rays per area, may have been increased for the 1.2 patch. This also depends on if they're maxing out the ray quality or have that dynamic resolution option turned on.

Maybe we're seeing different things.

But the first screen, has no shadow under the soldier, I looked long and hard... You can see the same color tints on the rest of the floor at the same horizontal axis to confirm and also in the foreground there are many spots like it - what we're looking at is a lowres blurry texture. Furthermore, there are white point lights which you say are causing the boxes not to have shadowing, which I'd consider also incorrect because there are multiple white light sources here, neither box is directly vertical under both) - but they're also really not highlighted on the top or on either sides. Given the rather bright highlight on the walls, you'd expect some of it to hit the boxes too.

Also, about pic 1; if that soldier is casting his (very visible, black) shadow on the glass panel's pane, how could it ever have another vague shadow on his left side? And why is the shadow on the pane not extended on the floor?

Pic 2, the point light behind the soldier is stuck to the wall, the boxes are not, and they even get a highlight (left box, left side) from it. If the light source is 'floating' the boxes should cast more distinct shadowing in the opposite direction, and if the light was stuck inside the wall, it should cast shadow from those boxes towards the water.

So many questions... but Im not buying your 'excuses', sorry. The longer I look at these, the more I'm seeing standard render trickery that doesn't match with the rays being cast.

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT

View attachment 137755

Trickery, I say

View attachment 137757

View attachment 137764

there's examples of little recources being put to great use and elaborate tools failing.
rtrt is a suepr powerful tool for developers,they'll be ones that do it justice (control) and those who fail (dunno,bf5 maybe ?).
imo all things considered q2 rtx is closer to being a success than a failure.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
there's examples of little recources being put to great use and elaborate tools failing.
rtrt is a suepr powerful tool for developers,they'll be ones that do it justice (control) and those who fail.
imo all things considered q2 rtx is closer to being a success than a failure.

Don't get me wrong, I like the effort for Q2. But I was going deeper into our back and forth about 'realism'. The things I pointed out are exactly the reasons it comes across as artificial, uncanny. It also highlights how strongly RT is still in its infancy.

Remember the Neon Noir demo and how we zoomed in on bullet casings? This is similar. But Neon Noir did run on regular hardware, and pretty well at that, too. We act like the tech is new, but we can get ridiculously close with just software and existing hardware. Perhaps even achieving better overall results. The atmosphere in Neon Noir is artistically 'complete', Q2 is visibly missing stuff.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Don't get me wrong, I like the effort for Q2. But I was going deeper into our back and forth about 'realism'. The things I pointed out are exactly the reasons it comes across as artificial, uncanny.
yes but that scene is not all scenes in q2.
I like to appreciate the good more than the bad.
IMO shadows and ambient occlusion in many contemporary games are trash and RT shadows is where I'd like the industry to move.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
yes but that scene is not all scenes in q2.
I like to appreciate the good more than the bad.
IMO shadows and ambient occlusion in many contemporary games are trash and RT shadows is where I'd like the industry to move.

Agreed. Especially AO is far from perfect and feels weird. I usually use it because it does give the picture more definition, but yea.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Don't get me wrong, I like the effort for Q2. But I was going deeper into our back and forth about 'realism'.
A 22 year old game might not be the best place to look for realism ;)
This just got RTRT slapped onto it because it's one of the most beloved games of all time, not because it has a great lighting model.