• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Queries relating to fresh OS installation: DCH/standard, Geforce Experience

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Hi folks,

first, I would like to thank W1zzard for releasing this software.

I detest telemetry and a clean install of simply the driver suits me fine. However, in the near future I will be building a rig with my nephew, his first computer, and I was hoping you folk could help me clarify a few questions in order to avoid telemetry and unnecessary bloat, whilst ensuring that his experience is as user friendly as possible. Apologies in advance, it has been a long time since I installed a card produced by Nvidia and times have clearly changed.

1. It appears that DCH drivers are becoming the norm, should I install them? Do you think it is correct to say that Nvidia is in the process of phasing out the provision of standard drivers? It makes little sense to begin with standard drivers, which would be my preference, if I will be forced to change over to DCH in the near future.

2. If I use the DCH drivers and disable Windows update, will this ensure that I have complete control over when and which driver is installed?

3. Can I install Geforce Experience without the telemetry via NVCleanstall, or is telemetry an integral part of Experience? I ask this because I can envisage my nephew using Shadowplay to record Fortnite and share it with his friends. Personally I would prefer to have nothing to do with it, so if there are recommendations for recording gameplay from other sources, that would be much appreciated.

4. When I wish to update the driver, is it simply a matter of using NVCleanstall to overwrite the existing driver?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to educate me.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
1) Personally I'm using the non-DCH drivers, and haven't had any issues. The only real difference seems to be that with DCH you have to download the control panel as Windows 10 App from MS Store, which requires a MS account. Latest NVCleanstall has a workaround that automatically installs the control panel app for you.

NVIDIA recently improved switching between DCH and non-DCH, so you can switch any time.

2) Yes. On a new installation Windows Update will immediately download the DCH driver as soon as it detects Internet. You might want to pull the network cable during install and bring the driver you want on USB stick. If you have non-DCH installed, Windows Update will not replace it with DCH.

3) Telemetry is required for GFE to work at all.

4) Yes, even without "clean install" it'll work fine.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Thank you so much.