• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 5890?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Doesn't matter whether that pic is fake or not, does it? There is NO HD5890 @ 2560 SPs, and the current chips don't have 2560 SPs.

Also take Cypress, and put it in GT200B die size, but on smaller process. Devote that extra space entirely to SPs and supporting I/O, and sideport. Pic taken from that anandtech link.

I think they killed the idea of such a large chip due to problems getting a efficiently working scheduler. They have issues as it is keeping all those SPs loaded. more would just make the issue worse, and increase needed inter-gpu communications channels, making it far more complex than some think. You don't just drop in SPs, and expect a boost; in fact you should expect it to kill the chips functions. Chip design ain't nothing easy.

Attachments

• planned870.png
    planned870.png
    16 KB · Views: 2,220
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
hmmm,
Anantech says that the HD6XXX series is coming at the end of the year(have close ties with AMD).
BSN is saying that its coming next year(based on AMD's old roadmaps).

who to believe

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Neither. Both want you to visit the site, and maybe click an advert. Of course they say different things.

Go listen to an investor meeting or financial report if you want real info. Watch a video interview, or audio interview, with an AMD/ATI employee, so you can catch the truth and the bullshit. Isn't too hard, really. It's why every once in a while I mention a certain blond, and her mentioning 3ghz Phenoms. You could tell she was full of it. THe difference was, it wasn't reported in words on some website, it came out of someone's mouth. It's easy to tell when someone truly beleives in what they are saying. You don't get that from the interwebs.

Benetanegia

Doesn't matter whether that pic is fake or not, does it? There is NO HD5890 @ 2560 SPs, and the current chips don't have 2560 SPs.

Also take Cypress, and put it in GT200B die size, but on smaller process. Devote that extra space entirely to SPs and supporting I/O, and sideport. Pic taken from that anandtech link.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33823&stc=1&d=1267397555

Yeah, sorry. I didn't catch that you were speaking hypothetically. I thought that the Anand link was trying to confirm (set a fact) that the die actually existed.

I think they killed the idea of such a large chip due to problems getting a efficiently working scheduler. They have issues as it is keeping all those SPs loaded. more would just make the issue worse, and increase needed inter-gpu communications channels, making it far more complex than some think. You don't just drop in SPs, and expect a boost; in fact you should expect it to kill the chips functions. Chip design ain't nothing easy.

I think the same, and I also think that's the very same reason that HD5830 has been crippled so much (ROPs specially). I bet that even with so few shaders if the HD5830 mantained 32 ROPs, it would have been almost as fast as HD5870 in most cases if both were running at same clocks, just as HD5850 is just as fast.

I don't think that the HD5890 is going to have any extra SP/TMU/ROP/MC either, because of what you say. I've been saying what you're saying since it was released and didn't perform even remotedly close to what I thought it would perform given the specs.

Some say that RV870 was designed to be able to perform 2 triangles per clock, but the reality is that it can only do 1. Is it broken? It was a feature that fell apart in the last compasses? In any case, IMO if they change something in the HD5890 it's going to be there.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If there will even be a HD5890...I only see that if they do a HD6xxx September release. Limited-run HD5-series refresh in June-July.

Things are different now...they usually put lessser-grade chips on smaller process to prepare for the next gen, and have not done that with Cypress. Expect the unexpected from now on...

In regards to function..I dunno. Could just be a driver problem, for all I know.

And personally, I think the die-shot could be real, but it's not relevant to products on the market, or expected.

Benetanegia

If there will even be a HD5890...I only see that if they do a HD6xxx September release. Limited-run HD5-series refresh in June-July.

Things are different now...they usually put lessser-grade chips on smaller process to prepare for the next gen, and have not done that with Cypress. Expect the unexpected from now on...

In regards to function..I dunno. Could just be a driver problem, for all I know.

Unless I'm not uderstanding the comment, they did that with RV740. Or what do you mean?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, and RV6xx etc as well. They are not doing this same "research" this generation, and have contractual obligations to GF for gpu production.

In the past, they were confined to TSMC's release schedule. This is not the case any more. HD6xxx will eb hte first real generation since the merger. I bet they are itching for a release.

Benetanegia

Yes, and RV6xx etc as well. They are not doing this same "research" this generation, and have contractual obligations to GF for gpu production.

In the past, they were confined to TSMC's release schedule. This is not the case any more. HD6xxx will eb hte first real generation since the merger. I bet they are itching for a release.

Ah, you mean they are not doing that with 28nm? Hmm that's right, at least we have no news about anything, a refresh on 28nm or something. Everyone talks about HD6000 being the first 28nm Ati GPU. Hmm, I didn't thought of it.

About the die shot, the only way I can see it being real, is if it was an experiment similar to that 80 core CPU made by Intel. To see how far they could reach with their current architecture.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That's exactly what I think it is. I mean, as it is, look at the size of the cypress PCBs...pretty complex, and large, for such a small chip. A bigger chip...sheesh. I can clearly understand how it's more than possible that nV might never get Fermi working right. Or...it's intended chip is far more complex...definately worthy of another power phase. If that hole wasn't there, nobody would even think about HD5890.

With that in mind, HD5x90 of any variant doesn't make any sense. They can invest time into further R&D for TSMC's current process, or they can cut losses, leave things as they are, and move onto the next thing.

Except the next thing isn't anywhere near ready @ TSMC.

AMD has gone closed-door on thier tech. The best we can do is guess at this point, given the info they let out, and other stuff that's already known...

Problems with 5870 are known, as it's on the marketplace already. Not too much to fix there...at least, not anything that AMD has any real control over. So, we gotta look elsewhere, like TSMC, for possible outcomes.

Do you think they can improve things enough for AMD to get 1ghz+ chips, in high quantity??

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
That's exactly what I think it is. I mean, as it is, look at the size of the cypress PCBs...pretty complex, and large, for such a small chip. A bigger chip...sheesh. I can clearly understand how it's more than possible that nV might never get Fermi working right. Or...it's intended chip is far more complex...definately worthy of another power phase. If that hole wasn't there, nobody would even think about HD5890.

With that in mind, HD5x90 of any variant doesn't make any sense. They can invest time into further R&D for TSMC's current process, or they can cut losses, leave things as they are, and move onto the next thing.

Except the next thing isn't anywhere near ready @ TSMC.

AMD has gone closed-door on thier tech. The best we can do is guess at this point, given the info they let out, and other stuff that's already known...

Problems with 5870 are known, as it's on the marketplace already. Not too much to fix there...at least, not anything that AMD has any real control over. So, we gotta look elsewhere, like TSMC, for possible outcomes.

Do you think they can improve things enough for AMD to get 1ghz+ chips, in high quantity??

1: good point, and you'd think they'd be putting cash towards their next gen since the current is a bang so no need to put more cash into it

2: i dout it, i think it'd be fall before we could see the process get that good, good enough for nvidia to be able to produce like ATi is.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
I wants a HD5890!:D:D:D

_33

System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The potential definitely exists, but seems unlikely. Due to teh current situation, they'd haveto be super-binning chips for this already, but to me, it seems as though most of those chips will go into 850/1200mhz 5970's.

They don't have to have a top performer compared to nV at this point. It will have been 6 months, in the least, that ATi has had the top spot. it would make more sense for them to save the R&D costs, put those savings into lowering current pricing, and fight nV with pricing when they DO release.

What matters at this ponit is what makes teh best business sense. A 5890 doesn't make good business sense.

As an aside, XFX has yet to release a "Black Edition" 5870. They are saving that SKU for a reason...and to me, that reason is no 5890. Partners will simply be allowed to release what ever design and clock speeds they want.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I have heard (only rumors but from fairly reasonable sites) That yes a whole 5000 series refresh in the works. And the 6000 series will be out early next year January.

But that is the best I have heard.

Some speculate that trillian = 5890 'or 5000 series refresh' Some also speculate that trillian = Eyefinity 5870 version cards. You will just have to wait and see.

But my guess is trillian = 5000 series refresh and North Islands = 6000 series @ 28nm

Unlikely but ATI's Future planes says something about a 32nm GPU..... maybe the trillian refresh might even have a shrink with it. I also have heard that ATI will skip 32nm all together so that could be false to.

Sorry about all the speculation..... I just figured I would tell you everything I have seen so far so you could be up to date on basically all the rumors right now.

I just found this too.... Interesting...... If you read this it might get closer to answering this question!!! But it looks like it has been around awhile.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/11/2/amds-next-gen-gpu-manhattan-and-northern-islands-use-32nm-process.aspx

Last edited:
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
2560 shaders does sound good:D:D:D

The 2560 SP parts were not final revisions. The 2560 SP part also had sideport, but these things were moved in order to improve yields.

The whole 2560 SP thing was something I started many moons ago, as I thought a shader for each pixel line @ 2560x1600, and a 800mhz clock(with 2 pixels per clock per SP), seemed an ideal config.

But, if you read recent interviews, one was with AMD engineering head who stated that even what he wanted was a much bigger chip, than the current Cypress. Ati has it's own mini-fab in Ontario, so they have the capability to run off whatever they like for testing, the shown die-shot is probably one of these test chips.

Running the 4770 chips on the current process for Cypress allowed them to know what error rate they'd have wit hteh process, and it seems to me that they had to go with a much smaller die in order to get closer to target, which still wasn't reached 100%, but they'd have been far worse off(as NV is) had they not had the prior experience making chips @ that process @ TSMC.

hmmm,
Anantech says that the HD6XXX series is coming at the end of the year(have close ties with AMD).
BSN is saying that its coming next year(based on AMD's old roadmaps).

who to believe

even it's come with this huge of SP's still memory bandwidth bottleneck this powerful GPU, increase memory bandwidth like 512 bit solve the problem and with this GPU it will be best card for 3 years later, they can do this but maybe keep it for HD 78XX not even HD 68xx

jessicafae

System Name kumiko
Processor AMD PhenomII 720 (OC 3.32ghz)
Motherboard Asus M3A78-EM
Cooling Zalman CNPS8700 LED
Memory 4GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) MSI R4890 cyclone OC, Sparkle GTS250
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB
Case Silverstone SG03 SFF
Power Supply Zumax ZU-550Z
Software Windows7 rc1, MirrorsEdge
One more possibility for the "5xxx refresh" might be Evergreen on SOI 32nm from GlobalFoundaries. Ok hear me out....

The reason I say this is that the AMD Llano "Fusion" has taped out acording to BSN. This is a 32nm SOI "silicon on insulator" chip. What is REALLY interesting about this announcement is that they got an "evergreen" GPU on that integrated/FUSION die. This means they worked out the details of getting a basic evergreen GPU working on 32nm SOI which is major news. All previous GPUs (I believe, please correct me if I am wrong) have been on "bulk silicon process" and not on high performance SOI (silicon on insulator) processes. Most likely the Lllano GPU is something like a a 40 or 80shader design, but this is may be the "test chip on new process" that we have been talking about.

I know I am extrapolating here, but evergreen has been out for 6 months already and I am certain that ATI has not been idle all this time. And ATI has multiple engineering teams, so one team might be "porting" evergreen to 32nm SOI just like 4770 was the test-chip/port of the RV770 design to 40nm.

edit: actually the BSN article was dated feb 9, and it "generally" takes 4 weeks from tape out to A0 silicon, so the A0 Llano fusion chip with 32nm SOI GPU might be at AMD/ATI now.

Last edited:

Krayzie Bone

ATi is supposed to release a low or mid range HD 6000 card near the end (late September) of 2010 HD 6770 and 6570 maybe. Then sometime around the New year they will release HD 6870 6850 6890 6970 but who knows as all this can change.

I just want a HD 5890 1ghz core clock 2GB Gddr5 and a 384 bit memory interface but unfortunately these are the same specs for a high end HD 6870.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
I doubt that they will be releasing a 5890 this time around. If you look at ATI timing schedule it would already have had to be out. If they are going to stay true to relasing a new card about every year or so.

Also right now the GTX 480 and the 5870 are already so close in performance they really have no reason to do this.

I would guess if you do see a refresh it will be the Southern Islands Cards we all have been hearing about. Which is speculated to be a Hybred between the new Northern Island Archtecture and and the current 5000 series.

But even if it is a refresh like I just stated I think that would be named the new 600 series.

I am just going by what seems to be the popular rumors.

For all I know the 5890 could release tomorrow.

Here is a back up for what I was talking about

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33964598

Last edited: