• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random Game Freezing.

rapty

I have recently built a new build and am experiencing random Freezes and shite fps in most games 70 - 40 everything maxed out with 7800 GTX the fps I am not to fussed about but the random reboots is getting more than anoying.

It does'nt seem to matter if my computer is oc'd or at stock it freezes after a while of gameing in games like BF2, DODS, CSS, Hl2, when ocing I primed my computer for 6 hours on each core untill it failed on core number 2 this leads me to beleive that it may be a GFX problem I am haveing or maybe a ram or maybe psu?? I don't really know.

My Specs are as followed :
AMD 3800 X2
DFI Nf4 SLI DR
Aeolus 7800 GTX
2 GIG of Geil One W Ram BH5 Cas1.5 upto DDR500
Xfi Fatality FPS
74GB Raptor / 324 Cavier Sata 2
Windows 64bit Pro
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
OCZ 520 Powerstream
PCI network card
ASUS DVD Dual Layer RW
Samsung CDRW
Mitsumi 7in1 drive
5 big case fans.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
What Cas setting do you have your ram on? You have a good PSU, unless its faulty.

Edit: Also do you have both power connectors in your main board?

-Dan

rapty

All my Ram settings are on auto at the moment when I have tried other timeings aswell but had the same problems I have'nt tried them all but at stock would that matter?

I have all 3 leads connected to my mobo.

Karamas

Processor Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Wolfsdale 3.00 ghz 45nm
Motherboard Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP
Cooling ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Memory 2 x 1024 Mb CORSAIR XMS3 DHX DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RADEON HD4850
Storage Westren Digital 250 Gb Sata
Display(s) DELL LCD 17 in"
Case Generic Black Case
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG Tech
Software Windows XP Pro (Enterprise)/Windows 7 Ultimate/Ubuntu 9.0.4
Do you have good airflow in your case that is alot that can overheat and if the computer randomly shuts off ur problem is the processor is overheating, my frieds processor was to close to his psu and was running around 200 degrees feirenight.

Reboot problems are caused by the processor(In most cases or by mis cacutinig thins in the bios). My suggestion is to take a look at or processor and get an accurate temerature reading of your processor.

Post it here afterwards.
Also please tell me how close ur processor is to ur psu.

rapty

It was freezeing then I turned automaticaly reboot off in windows when receiving a error I made a mistake typeing.

as for airflow Its better than most I have a thermaltake Kandalf If your not familiar with the specs I can right a list of sizes of fans.

My CPU is along way from my PSU theirs a huge fan next to my cpu area and Active cooling blowing on the RAM and also a big typhoon on my cpu I dont think thats the problem.

Speed fan reports temps max load at 2600 GHZ OC'd, at around 48c MAX BOTH CORES MAX LOAD in Prime 95
at stock 2000 I dont think it goes over 37c.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
I have seen cas 1.5 cause instability on NF4 boards before, just set it too 2. I would set the ram for about 2.8 volts, unless overclocking. But get your system stable stock first lol.

So you got all the power on the board, umm... how many sticks of ram?

-Dan

rapty

nop does'nt matter what setting its at still I get random freezes and my motherboard DFI supports a CAS of 1.5 your probably getting mixed up with other makes.

2.8 volts wont work for me I'm on BH5 ram remember I need atleast 3.2

I have 4 sticks

hang on was'nt paying atention I'll go set some times now

Last edited:

Silverstone

The only mobo that can run cas 1.5 or utilize 4 dimms at Command rate 1 is ATI's new Crossfire mobo (Oskar Wu helped ATI out designing this mobo & ATI's chipset allows actual 1.5 cas, no other mobo can run actual 1.5 cas stable or use 4 dimms at Command rate 1)

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
The NF4 do have an option for Cas 1.5 but it doesn't do anything performance wise, but I have seen it cause problems before (very rare).

You say you have 4 sticks? You may have to run them at 333MHz. Or 400MHz 2T. You only need 3.2 volts if your overclocking. If your stock 2.8 should do, but you may need more. Doesn't really matter., more to be safe. :)

-Dan

rapty

Silverstone said:
The only mobo that can run cas 1.5 or utilize 4 dimms at Command rate 1 is ATI's new Crossfire mobo (Oskar Wu helped ATI out designing this mobo & ATI's chipset allows actual 1.5 cas, no other mobo can run actual 1.5 cas stable or use 4 dimms at Command rate 1)

just set it to 2236 my timeings and cpc disabled and I have'nt crashed once in dod my fps is still at 70 which is poor and I have'nt a clue why but atleast it seems more stable than it was.

I have'nt ever tried for 1.5 with 4 sticks as I know its not possible but it is with 2 on my board.

rapty

djbbenn said:
The NF4 do have an option for Cas 1.5 but it doesn't do anything performance wise, but I have seen it cause problems before (very rare).

You say you have 4 sticks? You may have to run them at 333MHz. Or 400MHz 2T. You only need 3.2 volts if your overclocking. If your stock 2.8 should do, but you may need more. Doesn't really matter., more to be safe. :)

-Dan

your thinking about TCCD Ram I have BH5 theirs a big difference I can run at much greater voltages even up to 3.8 Volts so I can get tighter timeings, when you say 2T you meen CPC?
if so I cant enable that in my dfi bios as my computer does'nt even boot with that setting enabled when 4 sticks are present.

1.5 does didlysquat AMD CPU does not support it, its a gimmik. :)

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
I am not thinking about TCCD. There are plenty of BH-5 memory sticks out there that run on 2.8v. Some do tend to need more voltage at stock. Unless you're overclocking you don't need 3.2 volts at 2-2-2-5 400MHz. It depends on how you run them, yes they do like the voltages, and yes you do need to pump it through them when overclocking. But lets not worry about that...

With the 1.5 cas, the AMD do not support it as you said, but I have seen people use it and it caused problems where theres no support.

The 2T is the command rate. Where you have have a new core you should just have to run your ram at 400MHz 2T command rate where you have 4 modules. Before witht the older cores you had to bring your ram speed to 333MHz to keep it stable.

-Dan

Last edited:

rapty

Are you familiar with DFI boards 2T is named under CPC on the DFI board this is a option I canot use as I have 4 Sticks it simply wont boot if I do, I dont quite understand what you are saying when you say run them at 2T and keep them under 333mhz If you could tell me the command for 2T in the genie bios if I have it wrong that would be helpfull.

as for the other commands I have set my ram at 2225 as you said and put the vdim to 2.8 volts and I will be running stability test's shortly I am still at stock settings.

Silverstone

rapty said:
Are you familiar with DFI boards 2T is named under CPC on the DFI board this is a option I canot use as I have 4 Sticks it simply wont boot if I do, I dont quite understand what you are saying when you say run them at 2T and keep them under 333mhz If you could tell me the command for 2T in the genie bios if I have it wrong that would be helpfull.

as for the other commands I have set my ram at 2225 as you said and put the vdim to 2.8 volts and I will be running stability test's shortly I am still at stock settings.

You are crashing because you are trying to run 4 dimms at 1.5 cas.

As I stated previously THE ONLY MOBO you can run a command rate of 1 (CPC on DFI boards) or cas 1.5 with all 4 dimms occupied is ATI's New Crossfire motherboard. I don't care what BS anyone else posts this is FACT.

ALSO BH-5 DAMN SURE needs more then 2.8 vdimm if u plan on overclocking the ram with tight timings over 200 fsb, whoever told you different is mistaken. Be careful who you take advice from, if in doubt use GOOGLE as a viable alternative.

rapty

I am not trying to run at cas 1.5 AS I HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU I KNOW 4 DIMS CAN NOT RUN AT 1.5 and you have told me 2 times now that oscar wu has made the new ati board run 4 sticks at 1.5 ok it can run at 1.5 I CAN HERE YOU IT SEEMS LIKE THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN'T IS YOURSELF, I am here trying to get a problem solved not get into a point scoreing match with a condescending pleb.

The advice was taken from djben I already knew that the voltage was going to have to be alot higher to get stable and that was proved right after I kept crashing again.

so the timeings seem to be very picky the only timeings which seem to be ok is 2236 at 3.2 stock cpu etc.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
For the voltage of the BH-5, I have seen lots of systems that ran at 2.8v at stock settings, anything else needs more voltage, I totally agree. I said it depends on how you run it also. BH-5 does love the voltage, but you don't noramally need 3.2 at 400MHz 2-2-2-5, it just causes unnecessary heat out put but you may need more voltage, it tends to vary from system to system (undervolting/overvolting). Sorry if I caused some disagreement, run what works for you. :)

For the 1T/2T its just the command rate, I am not familliar with the NF4 bioses, as I have a NF3 system. But there is a setting to run the ram at 2T. This is to increases stability not decrease it. With the new AMD cores, you can run your ram at 400MHz 2T command rate, if you run 1T you will have to run you ram at 333MHz to maintain stability. On the new DFI board RDX200 can run 4 sticks at 400MHz 1T, but it doesn't seem work perfectly yet.

Maybe it it might be a wise idea to go to the DFI Forums as they work with DFI boards. ;)

-Dan

rapty

Thanks ben np I'm greatfull you can help, I have tried CPC and the voltages you advised me on and unfortunately both dont work the voltage to low makes me freeze and the CPC when enabled 2T I cant even boot into bios *_* is their anything with CPC I must be set at or set on with 4 stick in order to work?

Silverstone

rapty said:
I am not trying to run at cas 1.5 AS I HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU I KNOW 4 DIMS CAN NOT RUN AT 1.5 and you have told me 2 times now that oscar wu has made the new ati board run 4 sticks at 1.5 ok it can run at 1.5 I CAN HERE YOU IT SEEMS LIKE THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN'T IS YOURSELF, I am here trying to get a problem solved not get into a point scoreing match with a condescending pleb.

The advice was taken from djben I already knew that the voltage was going to have to be alot higher to get stable and that was proved right after I kept crashing again.

so the timeings seem to be very picky the only timeings which seem to be ok is 2236 at 3.2 stock cpu etc.

If u know u can't run cas 1.5 with all 4 dimms why do your own specs say YOU are, ffs?

My Specs are as followed :
AMD 3800 X2
DFI Nf4 SLI DR
Aeolus 7800 GTX
2 GIG of Geil One W Ram BH5 Cas1.5 upto DDR500
Xfi Fatality FPS
74GB Raptor / 324 Cavier Sata 2
Windows 64bit Pro
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
OCZ 520 Powerstream
PCI network card
ASUS DVD Dual Layer RW
Samsung CDRW
Mitsumi 7in1 drive
5 big case fans.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Its Geil One Series ram, it is rated to run at 1.5-2-2-5 timings. He didnt say he was, he was just listing the specs of his computer.

-Dan

Silverstone

djbbenn said:
Its Geil One Series ram, it is rated to run at 1.5-2-2-5 timings. He didnt say he was, he was just listing the specs of his computer.

-Dan

Ah...Sorry then to all.

I took his written specs Geil one to mean running ram@ 1:1, lol & cas 1.5 @ 1.5

My apologies....

The freezing issue likely is software based rather then hardware, it seems.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
rapty said:
Thanks ben np I'm greatfull you can help, I have tried CPC and the voltages you advised me on and unfortunately both dont work the voltage to low makes me freeze and the CPC when enabled 2T I cant even boot into bios *_* is their anything with CPC I must be set at or set on with 4 stick in order to work?

Have you tried running your ram at 333MHz and 1T?

-Dan

Last edited:

rapty

np silver, I have tried running my ram at those speeds all seems fine I can pass tests like super pi prime 95 3d mark although I score absolute crap in 3d mark 05 for some reason I get a score around 6889 and thats with my processor oc'd to 2700!, really confused about it all I am only getting 70 fps in games aswell could it be a gfx problem?

Silverstone

Do you use DRIVER CLEANER after removing old nvidia drivers from Control Panel\Add-Remove?

It could be residue left in your registry thats slowing down your system.

The site I will link you to has MANY useful apps that may resolve this problem. All kinds of registry cleaners, driver ceaners, anti-spyware, etc.

http://www.majorgeeks.com

Go to DOWNLOADS section.

It could also be the sheer number of programs that are loading up with ur windows install. In that case:

Type---------> msconfig in the RUN box. Check off SELECTIVE STARTUP.....next look for a tab at the top of the window...I think its "Startup"......here remove as much as possible, I only enable my Razer Diamondback drivers & nothing else.

I also streamline my XP install, I can tell you how to if need be.

rapty

thanks silver for the help I have done what you have told me to and I am going to currently test it to see if their is any improvement, the driver clean I have only had 1 set of drivers on a fresh so I don't think its any left over driver etc..