• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE v1.11 available now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
> BAGZZlash: I'm using Win xP 32 bits...

> Cybrnook2002: here is a screen of RBE with my HD4850;
I think that voltage need to be higher than 1.046...

Leave the 1.046 volts as is since those are for idle clocks, change the "---" since those are for the clocks when the card is in 3d mode and needs the extra volts. Course I can be wrong on that, but I would leave them.

ViciousXUSMC

System Name Vicious's Rig
Processor Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.4v (Windows)
Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extrme with S-Scyth fan
Memory 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2x Visiontek 4850 @ 675/1000
Storage 2x 640gb Western Digital
Display(s) 37" Westinghouse LVM37-W3
Case Antec P182 Special Edition
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
Software Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,582
so looks like you may want to overclock on 0, 3, 6, & 9 from your data and the data we got from bagzzlash. Everything else can be left alone.

ViciousXUSMC

Ugh... bad flash!!! been suffering all day trying to recover. I found that 2.007 of winflash works for me even tho the newest version wont (thanks to a post here on the forums)

I used that reference image posted above and kept everything exactly the same except the 2 "overclock" spots I put 715mhz core and 1050 memory. I have been running 1050 for a while now and tested it very well so I know its stable, I was 700mhz core stable for 3dmark at default voltage of 1.084 so I figured with 1.22 set in bios I should do 715 easy!

Well no!

I got into windows like 3x after the flash, every time I tried to run gpuz soon as I started it I would black or green screen. The 4th time I got into windows I ran the CCC and saw my clocks showing up as 0/0 in the ati screen. After that I crashed and spent the next 2 hours trying to get back into windows.

I would get usually to the vista logo and right after that ether black screen freeze, green screen freeze, or black screen and the fans on the video card would go 100% and lock. I figured maybe it was heat? the fans not set good so I took the side of my case off and put a house fan on it on high, after 20 more restarts I knew it was not heat.

So I tried winows safe mode, I was able to get into windows safe mode! However the winflash tool refused to load in safe mode, said I had to be admin or run as admin even tho over and over I tried (I am the admin and tried the run as admin right click to no avail) finally I just decided to toss my 2nd card in and use that. no bios flash screen, none of that but when it got into windows, windows picked up the card and I got a display! I was able then to use winflash and I flashed back to the stock bios. I have not yet restarted the computer and removed the second card to test if its ok and back to normal.

So what happend? anybody have any idea why it didnt work and what that behavior was? I highly doubt it was because 715mhz core... and I sort of eliminated the heat. So just bad numbers in our reference picture?

I copied the bios I used and renamed it to a .txt so I could attach it. If you experts can look at it and tell me what I did wrong I would love that. I am so glad I could recover (atleast I think I did) gonna try one more time this time will match the UVD or what ever sections with the ones we marked to overclock and lower it to say 705mhz

Attachments

• 4850n - Copy.txt
    61 KB · Views: 477

ViciousXUSMC

More bad news. On my laptop now...

So I thought I flashed the card to a much safer setting, and upon reboot it was not fixed. So I was not able to get into windows, and thought wow ok let me just take the bad card out, and put the good card in the main slot so I can see what I am doing and make this easier.

Well got into windows with the good card, tried looking at cpuz and bam crash! Several reboots later same problems I had with the other card, green screen, black screen, 100% fan. I never flashed the bios on the good card unless I did so on acident. When I went and flashed the lower overclocked bios I had the bad card in the main pcie slot and my good card in the sub slot. winflash shows a red * by the "active card" so I would figure that means the one that is in use with the monitor wich was the good card in the sub slot. So when I flashed the bad card with the new bios I picked the non * one wich was supposed to be the non active card.

I guess if winflash things the active card is the sub card and not the one that is using the monitor then I have flashed both cards now. However I do not think this is the case and now am thinking itsw more of a driver thing, something to do with the overdrive profiles and things, even tho I deleted them all I was still botting into windows with 60% fan speed that I had locked via a profile before I did the flash. So I need to do a reinstall or uninstall of the video drivers but cant find out how, safe mode wont let me, and I cant get back into windows. So trying a restore point now via my vista disk, and if that wont work guess I gotta install the whole OS from scratch.

If that failes I guess I need to try to make a cd to flash with and reflash both cards one at a time from dos with a boot cd.

edit: made a boot cd it would run thru all this boot stuff and usb loading then never let me enter a command. So I started to redo windows, I can go into windows fine because there is no aero, I did however flash both cards because my "good" card was running 50% fan speed when it would have been 20% or less with the stock bios. So I really want to know what was wrong with the settings, I followed our reference image perfectly, strange thing every time I load a bios the settings show different than what I set them for tho, I guess thats because of the lock.

Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Im back up and going, winflash got my stock bios back on there but i had to reinstall windows :( aero would freeze me up but classic i was able to work in. shame winflash wont work in safe mode, I tried atiflash but my boot cd would boot and run thru some stuff but never let me type my own commands to flash.

So I am gonna wait for everybody to find out for sure what state is what before I try again :p or next time uninstall my drivers and put vista in clasic mode first before I try.

Here is what I tried and it failed horribly:

Note that I am sorry about the multiple post back to back if anybody is picky about that, but I was kind of in a frezy trying to fix the computer and get help at the same time and wanted to keep separate content separate so it doesnt get all confusing.

Spekkie

I've been trying to get my bios working but it just keeps hanging at the start of windows when I use aero. Still when don't use aero I can boot windows but can't even run gpu-z without a freeze :(.
Could this have something 2 do with the OS I'm using at the moment (Vista 64-bit) or the drivers (8.7 béta)? And are you guys having CCC installed? I just deinstalled it but didn't change anything.
It's kinda the same problem ViciousXUSMC is having...
The settings you see below are the one's I flashed into the card the last time I tried and didn't work.
It's a Sapphire card and I'm using ATIflash on a bootflop to flash the card, I can easily flash my original bios back since it's on the same bootflop.
Still I'm very confused why the biosflash isn't working for me :confused:.

P.S. I will test it again with the 8.6 + hotfix drivers soon.

*edit: fixed a typo

*edit 2: Installed the other drivers and flashed te same bios as before with the only difference that I changed all the 1.2V to 1.6V but it still doesn't work... It seems that the card just isn't able to use those volts, even after I did the pencil voltmod to get the resistor under 1.60K.

Attachments

• RBE.jpg
    RBE.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Exact problem I had, you will have to flash back with ATIFlash in dos with a boot up disk, or find a way to get into vista without aero on. Safe mode wont let winflash run.

I couldnt even uninstall the ati drivers in safe mode, but with a program you may be able too, then when you boot into vista you will be in clasic mode.

Well actually you you using a boot disk so your lucky, but how are you getting vista to boot without aero? the hotfix is the drivers not just a patch and supposedly is the same as the 8.7betas.

Mind sharing your method of using winflash on a boot disk? I thought that was the one that ran in windows not in dos.

Spekkie

Mind sharing your method of using winflash on a boot disk? I thought that was the one that ran in windows not in dos.

I used atiflash 3.60, not winflash (typo I'm sorry ;)).
I still have a floppy disk drive and in safe mode you're able to make a bootable floppy, I put atiflash and the original bios on it and that way I was able to flash my bios back.

Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Ahh thanks, ill have to work on another boot cd and see if it works the 2nd time around. That or if I can find a cheap usb flash drive thats even better.

SteenW

I just tried myself to flash my sapphire hd4850, don't work too:
my setting:
Clock info 1: 200/500 0.99v
Clock info 2: 500/750 1.046v
Clock info 3: 675/1100 1.263v
and I got 500/933 in 2D and 3D mode permanently?!?!

I tried a second flash with:
Clock info 1: 200/500 0.99v
Clock info 2: 500/750 1.046v
Clock info 3: 675/1100 1.263v
Clock info 7: 200/500 0.99v
Clock info 8: 500/750 1.046v
Clock info 9: 675/1100 1.263v

Same problem.

Finally I made a test with only fan speed tweaking, and I don't touch
any OC/Voltage setting=>reflash: don't work too, I got 500/933 in 2D and 3D mode permanently?!?!

i finally reflash with original bios, working now...
i don't understand what is wrong... :confused:

Spekkie

Well 1 thing I've learnend is that when you're using ATIoverdrive in CCC you need to turn that off while using you're original bios, after that you can flash in a new bios. If you don't turn off ATIoverdrive you're still pinned at the 700 core max.
Another thing is, even when I set the clocks at 3,6 and 9 over 700MHz (like 720) I dont gain any preformance.
Note that I only set the clocks, not the Vcore since that ain't working here (yet?).

ViciousXUSMC

Yes you must have the profiles off for the new bios to stick, I think alot of the problem is the "lock" so we are loading up false speeds when we edit the bios, so just opening a bios and then saving it without doing nothing it would still be a corrupted bios, and also we have no idea what state does what yet. I assume that the first picture is ok the one that bag posted with the "unlocked" state I should have used that as my reference instead of his 3rd picture. I also hear that you can increase the volts via the profile now too. So a bios flash may be good for nothing other than getting past 700mhz, and that can be done with the new ati overclock tool.

Spekkie

I also hear that you can increase the volts via the profile now too. So a bios flash may be good for nothing other than getting past 700mhz, and that can be done with the new ati overclock tool.

You mean that you're able to increase the volts with ATIoverdrive? With the current drivers not yet, still those aren't the official drivers.
And I managed to get the clocks beyond 700MHz still I didn't gain any preformance, maybe that's because my CPU (opteron 170 @ 2,8) is bottlenecking it but still... I got exactly the same 3Dmark scores as when I runned it at 700MHz core.

ViciousXUSMC

No not overdrive but editing the xml file that the profile uses. Same way you overide the fan speed. There was a thread I think on guru3d where they confirmed that certian voltage values can be set there. They said if you run autotune it may increase the voltage and you can tell by reading the xml file before and after to see if it set new values. Mine however did not go up. It set one card at 690/1090 and the other at 690/1170 so auto tune says one of my cards is way better than the other when it comes to memory. But I know both of them are not stable at 690 core under a heavy load at stock volts, so who knows how much you can trust that.

ViciousXUSMC

Edit: all you guys that suffered the same problem as me. Did you use the 8.7 beta drivers? I have been reading this thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192411&page=19

And around page 18/19 a few people had the same problem and said it ended up being the drivers, not the bios flash and that using the 8.6's allowed them to get into windows.

Same exact issue I had, black screen/freeze and 100% fan speed. Lets hope future drivers wont suddenly break bios moded cards.

Edit2: Sucsess! Im running 710/1050 stable with the 4850's in crossfire. Here is a screen shot of what I used:

As for the drivers I played it safe, did a uninstall of the 8.7 betas from the add/remove programs dialog, then used the driver sweeper program from guru3d.com after the fact to remove the little pieces left over, then installed the 8.6 hotfix drivers. My 3dmark06 went up 500 points already and now with the voltage being boosted in the bios I should be able to use the new overclock tool to see what my max stable is. Voltage regulators are toasty with 100% load from the artifact tester I saw 91/92c max on there so I am going to have to invest in some fans to point at the cards.

Last edited:

NoD1

Hi. What do i have to do to make my HD4870 FAN spining at 40% idle ?

Spekkie

Finally

Yeah! it's working for me too now... I've installed the 8.6 drivers and did the pencilmod, I'm rinning at 735/1090 (see the screen ;))

I runned 3Dmark once without any problems but now some real stressin... I'll let you guys know ;)

Edit: I've played STALKER a qouple of hours mow so I consider these clocks to be working... Let's see what's the max of the card :D

Attachments

• screenie.jpg
    screenie.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Just look at your current temp with something like gpu-z idle, and then look at your graph for your fan speed. Your idle temp is set around 40% fan speed looks like.

I knew my idle was near 70c so I set the graph to be near 30% at 70c and when I game I think 60% is about the max I like to have it running for noise so for normal high 80's its near 60% then it continues up from there.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64

Change the Duty Cycle min (%) to 40, save, flash, and enjoy a cool card.

Status
Not open for further replies.