• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RDP from work to homer server .. can they track you?

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
I was BSing with some of our infra team the other day and we got on the topic of tracking peoples usage. So I told them that is why I log into my home server through RDP so they cannot track me. He said that is not 100% true. They can still track what I do on my home server because the info pushes back through my computer here....

I was under the impression that anything done on my home server could not be tracked since it was a different internet line.

I also have Torgaurd VPN running on the home server as well ... well its setup at the router level, so any home internet use goes through it.

My question is ... how far can they actually track you these days?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It depends on how they are tracking you. There is software that installs on a computer that tracks every action the user makes, every key stroke and mouse movement, as well as recording the screen.

Memory 16GB
Storage 1TB
It depends on how they are tracking you. There is software that installs on a computer that tracks every action the user makes, every key stroke and mouse movement, as well as recording the screen.

they are not that intrusive. They just installed Meraki's over the past 2 years and have been touted all this visibility into the companies activity. We are not bleeding edge by any means. I would put most of our tech in the late 2000s early 2010's

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Well they probably have DPI enabled which can tell them what web protocols, software with network usage and services are being used by whom.

I only RDP to my network once I've initiated my OpenVPN server from the workstation I'm on to my home router. That provides an encrypted tunnel between those two points. You RDPing from your workstation to your home only hits the VPN tunnel if you're connected that way or to the server that is web facing for your network. There's always a beginning and end to a VPN tunnel.

If you have port 3389 open to the world...and you don't use strong credentials...you might as well hand the keys of your network over. At some point it could be compromised.

Consider changing ports, and using a road warrior VPN to connect to your network.

Memory 16GB
Storage 1TB
Well they probably have DPI enabled which can tell them what web protocols, software with network usage and services are being used by whom.

I only RDP to my network once I've initiated my OpenVPN server from the workstation I'm on to my home router. That provides an encrypted tunnel between those two points. You RDPing from your workstation to your home only hits the VPN tunnel if you're connected that way or to the server that is web facing for your network. There's always a beginning and end to a VPN tunnel.

If you have port 3389 open to the world...and you don't use strong credentials...you might as well hand the keys of your network over. At some point it could be compromised.

Consider changing ports, and using a road warrior VPN to connect to your network.

So, merely connecting with RDP and having my VPN running on my home server does not necessarily shut them out? I need to instead connect through VPN to my homer server from my work computer? .... would this not leave internet history on my work machine? That is why I was mainly going through my home server.

Not that I am looking at bad sites, but they block this site and a few of my knife/gun sites and the my woodworking site ... so I am just looking to browse them

Last edited:

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Technically speaking, RDP traffic is encrypted by default. According to M$, there are 4 levels of operation available:
  • Low Data sent from the client to the server is encrypted using 56-bit encryption. Data sent from the server to the client is not encrypted.
  • Client Compatible Encrypts client/server communication at the maximum key strength supported by the client. Use this level when the terminal server is running in an environment containing mixed or legacy clients. This is the default encryption level.
  • High Encrypts client/server communication using 128-bit encryption. Use this level when the clients accessing the terminal server also support 128-bit encryption. When encryption is set at this level, clients that do not support this level of encryption will not be able to connect.
  • FIPS Compliant All client/server communication is encrypted and decrypted with the Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) encryption algorithms. FIPS 140-1 (1994) and its successor, FIPS 140-2 (2001), describe U.S. government requirements for encryption.
So, this connection is encrypted in one fashion or another, no matter what. However, lower encryptions could be broken if they really want to see, and as noted above, if they've stuck a software pack on your PC at work, they could easily watch screen shots, or key strokes. In that case, a VPN connection won't help either. They're still on your screen, and your keyboard. Additional encryption won't change anything.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Yep very true, there is some level of encryption with RDP, which is definitely far better than nothing. Compared to improved levels of encryption supported by VPN tunnels when using those as a direct connection between a workstation and server, it isn't good enough anymore IMHO. At least in my mind, though that also gives me an excuse to maintain my OpenVPN Server deployment(s), RDGateway, SSL and SSH access for my various networks.

Not that users will actively pursue the encrypted connection as the weak point, but they can when there's lower levels of encryption in-use, even with VPN tunnels this is the case (looking at you PPTP... and the folks that still use that...). But rather, the server/system-side for access as the weak point. Even that doesn't change the fact that if port 3389 is wide open and the user has an easily guessed access password, it doesn't matter if it is VPN or not. Using an obscure port can only go so far too.

Using NLA and limit the account(s) that are usable with RDP, along with using complex passwords can help the access-control side of things. SSL/TLS encryption would be a good way to go too, but for many end-users isn't desirable to setup. Same with RDGateway.

For more info on RDP encryption types that @Ahhzz and I are referring to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff458357.aspx

You can change the minimal level of RDP encryption following this link, by default on my Windows 10 laptop in front of me is a value of 2 for MinEncryptionLevel, which is client compatible mode.

If one wants to confirm their RDP encryption, there's the Wireshark way, which should work here. There are others when an actual RD server is in-use as well, and I'm sure other methods. That's just the one I'm most familiar with in environments where a server isn't hosting/managing RD access. Hardening RDP much beyond registry hacks to force the highest level of encryption again comes down to how you use NLA, what port(s) you decide to use and how often you change it (or not), and other best practice items like limiting your connection usage.

So, merely connecting with RDP and having my VPN running on my home server does not necessarily shut them out? I need to instead connect through VPN to my homer server from my work computer? .... would this not leave internet history on my work machine? That is why I was mainly going through my home server.

Not that I am looking at bad sites, but they block this site and a few of my knife/gun sites and the my woodworking site ... so I am just looking to browse them

So your VPN is only encrypting your traffic from point A to point B. In your case, point A is your router, point B is the server that your router connects to. Beyond that point your traffic isn't encrypted because it is no longer in the VPN tunnel, so that server's WAN/public-facing IP address is what is seen as your public IP address in many cases, but not all. So keep that in mind, when it is out of the VPN tunnel, it isn't encrypted by the VPN any longer. The trick is knowing where the VPN starts and ends.

The way I use a VPN tunnel, is I host my OpenVPN server on my PFSense gateway. I then have a user account setup with a secure password that I use the OpenVPN Windows Software (or Tunnelblick for OSX iirc) to connect to. That means, that traffic from my workstation to my router is encrypted. I then have access to my LAN and can RDP onto any system on my network I have RDP setup for rather than using a public-facing port for that, my public facing port is 1194 (well not anymore) for OpenVPN. 3389 is blocked over WAN.

I decide to run AES256 and SHA256 for crypto, an RSA 2048-bit key, along with TLS HMAC and control channel encryption. My performance is good enough to saturate my connection, and I could really amp up my keys if I felt inclined that my tunnel might be compromised.

I've seen situations where RDP user accounts have been hacked, where RD sessions have been accessed because of weak credentials, and the destruction that is caused when someone with malicious intent accesses a site that didn't manage it correctly. It is ugly, messy and you hope that they maintained backups.

Something else to keep in mind, as mentioned above if they have monitoring software on your terminal at work, then it doesn't matter if you're encrypted or not, they're able to see it because they have terminal (system access) to your workstation and can see what you're doing, and even take it over. Then add to that DPI which allows them to break down network traffic into categories, software, usage, bandwidth, etc...they can track down who is doing what in various ways. Add to that someone looking even further with Wireshark and the ability to use it correctly, finding out what's happening on a network is very accessible.

Even in my situation above where I use my VPN tunnel as a "road warrior" configuration (client to server), if I'm on a work PC that has monitoring management deployed to it, and I use my VPN connection, I'm essentially handing the keys of the castle over to those that can take control of my workstation because they have terminal access. So use what you need when you need when you need, but don't leave it enabled, don't save passwords to your remote resources, and use strong passwords.

But I'd rather have my VPN tunnel setup the way it is, or even higher levels of encryption, certs and keys to make sure that I'm not relying on the lower encryption levels of RDP nor having anymore ports than necessary open on my WAN facing side.

:toast:

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
They can not track you if you are on your home connection and over VPN. RDP is just pushing graphics to your work desktop. None of the data on the browser at home is coming over. Unless your company has screen capture, you can go to different sites from your browser at home and your company can't track where you went.

Memory 16GB
Storage 1TB
They can not track you if you are on your home connection and over VPN. RDP is just pushing graphics to your work desktop. None of the data on the browser at home is coming over. Unless your company has screen capture, you can go to different sites from your browser at home and your company can't track where you went.

that is what I originally thought too ... As long as they were not key logging or screen recording me ...