• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean89

Hey Guys,

I just brought Myself Asus Tuf gaming laptop and it won’t pick up the mic on my headset Razer Kraken Pro the one with 3.5 jack, in the device manager I have Realtek(R) Audio and Intel(R) Display Audio and also Nvidia Virtal Audio, for some reason when in sound manager the intergrated mic overcomes the headset mic, even if I try to set up the mic as “Headset” it’ll still be the intergrated mic, it’s really annoying.... I plug the headset into my old hp pavilion also win 10 and I get the pop up from Realtek saying it’s been dectected and the head works great... my new laptop the TUF I get nothing when plugging in the headset... I must say the hp also shows in the device manager “Realtek HD Device Manager” and the Asus shows “Realtek(R) Audio” are these the same thing or what? Rally annoying having spent £1299.00 on a laptop that can’t do what my £350 laptop can do.... please help me!!!

ya some brands like gigabyte us e there own realtek sound that's not the real realtek so to say [its a realtek sound they programed or did the software for ] I had a giga board and learned this and funny thing it was over the mic not working plug and play kinda as your getting - it will work but you have to go in a set it up [ I cant remember all that was involved ] once you do it should work from then on unless you change it back to default

I had screen shots showing that how the say gigabyte realtek was not the realtek . i'll try to post that if I did it up to show the difference

one off the top of my mind is when you open the manager at the bottom the real realtek will show realtek the motherboard branded realtek will have the motherboards brand name where realtek would be normally

like seen from this

as you see one is the gigiabyte realtek sound the other is a true all realtek sound by realtek

all depends on how asus set there's up or how giga or who ever set there's up to work with there own way of doing things of features added over realtek's

my buddy and I seemd to spent a hr. jacking around to get the mic to work on that old giga board ..lol..

Last edited:

Dean89

Thanks for the reply, thing is I don’t have the Realtek hd Audio manager like the pictures you posted.

If you don't have the Realtek HD Audio Manager then that's likely pointing to your issue.

I would uninstall your audio drivers, download latest ones from the Asus website, and reinstall.

I see "Realtek Audio Driver " and "DTS Audio " drivers.

Last edited:

Dean89

This is what shows in the device manager

Attachments

• 295ED3B8-9FDB-4E4C-8769-4B307383A2BE.png
    295ED3B8-9FDB-4E4C-8769-4B307383A2BE.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 889
Yep. I would uninstall Realtek(R) Audio and download new ones from Asus.

Dean89

I’ve tried to uninstall but it doesn’t unstall lol... goes through the hole process but it’s still there, even after restarting it just comes straight back :/

That's ok. It's Windows supplanting it's own driver.

If you've downloaded the drivers from Asus, install them.

There are 2 drivers you'll need "Realtek Audio Driver " and "DTS Audio".

Dean89

I just don’t understand why the intergrated mic picks up over the headset mic even when trying to setup as “Headset Microphone” I go through the step by step guide and when it gets to doing the speaking bit where you read the sentence it’s coming from my intergrated mic on the laptop and not the headset mic, it’s so thrusting :mad:

Do you have the Realtek HD Audio Manager now?

Dean89

No because Realtek(R) Audio is the same thing apprently! So I done everything uninstalled re installed and I don’t get “Realtek HD Audio” I get “Realtek(R) Audio” there’s got to be something I’m missing with the mic setup, because the sound comes through nicely, it’s just the intergrated mic and headset mic, there has to be somewhere you can switch them...

Can you show me the driver version in Device Manager for the Realtek(R) Audio?

I might be wrong but I suspect that even though you have installed the drivers, Windows is still using it's own driver.

To fix this try the following (this is a mock up). You may need to restart your laptop after doing this.

Audio.jpg

Last edited:

Dean89

I might be wrong but I suspect that even though you have installed the drivers, Windows is still using it's own driver.

To fix this try the following (this is a mock up). You may need to restart your laptop after doing this.

View attachment 105749

Really appreciate the help bud, I’ll give this ago when I get home, so that’s your device manager? You also have the Realtek(R) Audio? Where as my older hp pavilion shows “Realtek HD Audio”

No I don't have that chipset. The picture is a mock-up I made in Photoshop of what I think you will see in your Device manager.

I thought a visual guide would be easier to understand rather than "go here - click there".

Last edited:

Dean89

I just don’t get it, I’ve tried everything and it will just not pick up my headset mic but uses the intergrated mic even if I disable the intergrated mic it still picks it up when trying to setup as “head set” :/

Yes but you need to follow my guide to select the right driver.

There's no point focusing on the mic problem. It's not going to work until it's using the right drivers. Period.

Dean89

But the headset is working the sound is coming through it, just the mic is not and only the intergrated mic is being picked up. I’ll give it ago later and let you know

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
But the headset is working the sound is coming through it, just the mic is not and only the intergrated mic is being picked up. I’ll give it ago later and let you know
Audio defaults through headsets when plugged in to the jack, even if basic Windows drivers are being used, the issue is Microphones won't, unless the correct driver and settings are used.

It doesn't matter if the headset is working. Trust me! Until the correct driver is loaded, you will still have the mic problem.

--------------------------------

Thank you Caring1. :)

Dean89

So what is the correct settings?? It’s a brand new laptop! Surly it should just work! All my drivers are installed updated, uninstalled, reinstalled I’ve gone round and round and round with this laptop!

All you have to do is follow my guide. I'm quite confident that it will work.

You can have multiple different drivers installed for the same device.

At the moment you have 2 different drivers installed for your Audio device.

1 - Realtek(R) Audio (Windows installed this driver)
2 - Realtek High Definition Audio (You installed this driver)

The problem is sometimes Windows will automatically select the driver it thinks is best. This can happen on any machine, even a brand new one.

The solution is to manually select the correct driver as shown in my guide in post #14.

Last edited:

Dean89

Thing is in my device manager, the thing that shows is the Realtek(R) Audio, not the Realtek HD Audio, on my HP I have the Realtek HD Audio, when I get home I’ll try what you suggested and see if I can get the “Realtek HD Audio”

Thanks for the reply, thing is I don’t have the Realtek hd Audio manager like the pictures you posted.

like I say , it is realtek hardware , but its modified by the board manufacture and why it has there logo and not realtek's logo .

my giga board and getting the mic / headset for gaming to work was a challenge as well for some reason but a bit of trial and error in the settings finally got it working the 3ed time . the first 2 times we got it working as soon as you left the game or shut down or unplugged the mic it reverted back to not working and had to set it up over and over to make it work , the we did something [what it was I cant remember ] got it working full time when as needed with out going back over settings

man it was crazy and stupid

another thing I cant recall is if you got the motherboard branded realtek . if you use the ''realtek'' drivers outside the ones the motherboards support page offers you may loos features added in by the motherboard maker [[ I guess that's why you eather get a board with a real realtek or the realtek under the asus , msi, giga, asrock , ect ... brand name like I showed at the bottom of the manager .

google that asus model around with cant get mic / head set to work and see if any forums posted the same like issue and maybe show a resolve ?

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id...mbined-audio-mic-slot-asus-gaming-laptop.html

I'm sure you did this ?

External earphone (microphone ) losts its function

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015070/

this guy seems to of had to buy a adaptor ??

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...dio-Jack-in-GL502-Problem-Headset-not-Working

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.