1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reason for Concern?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Crusader, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well, last night I turned my main PC off for a few hours due to a fairly large thunderstorm, fair enough. After a while I decided to turn it back on, here's where this little thing happened. It wouldn't boot. It just sat there, the entire system just flicking on and off every couple of seconds.. At first I just turned it back off and left it for a few minutes, came back 10mins later, turned it back on and same problem. I just stood there for a minute going "wtf.. wtf.. wtf.." until it finally booted up again, I don't feel like turning it off again...

So now what? Is this just a once off thing or do you guys think that my PSU(or something else) might be finally going tits up? Really bad timing if so, I don't plan on getting any other PSU than the Corsair 850HX which isn't currently available.. aaaaannd I just ordered a new $600 monitor so I'm sorta short on cash.. Hope the ol' girl ain't failing on me now :shadedshu

Any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated :toast:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

This happened to me the other day too! Had bad storms, but beforehand I unplugged everything from their outlets. The next day I plugged everything else in and got exactly what you described. I have no idea. :ohwell: It's works now and I haven't had the problem reoccur.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I know that whenever the restart cycle starts for me, I switch the PSU off, clear the CMOS, and start up, go into the BIOS, and reload it (yay DFI board). Fixes it for me all the time.

Edit: You can also try switching the PSU off, and holding the power button down, it's supposed to clear your system of all remaining electricity. Might be worth a try.

Crusader says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    Well it's all just sounding like a once off thing which lets me feel a bit more relieved :) Now if only those background voices in the phone would disappear... :wtf:

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet it's an Asus motherboard thing.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's what I thought it was at first, since it has a tendency of doing that when you're OCed, even though I'm all stock atm. And that only restarts once, not a dozen times.

7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They're not in the phone. :D

Anyway ... I would check the all of the voltages on your system just to be sure the PSU is functioning like it should be.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    i've had that happen several times with different ASUS boards. never had it on different brand MB's.

9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    i have also had this happen to me from a failed overclock.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a bad ground.

11. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    I'm quite serious, there are occasionally background voices IN the phone and it's creepy at 1am... And the voltages that I've checked are all in order, nothing's changed.

Well this is the first time it's every happened, and I've had this board for 2-3years now.. I'm hoping it was just that damn thunderstorm screwing with everything :slap:

↓↓↓↓↓
    :toast:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hearing voices cru? take your meds :p
    You didnt feck up the adsl filter again did you?

oh and yeah probably just a fecked up CMOS, they do that. if it works now, its all good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    My computer (DFI board) has been acting strange lately too. I hit the power button and the power LED just blinks. I press the power button to turn it off then immediately turn it on again and it boots without problems. I'm thinking power supply or motherboard but today, it booted without a hitch. I have theories but I doubt any of them are accurate (e.g. solar flare).

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    I can't be insane, I take my meds everyday :roll: I should totally record it one night...

Filters fine as far as I can tell, though at check the cable did seem to be a little bit out of place :/ Pushed it back in so will see if these faggy voices go away tonight :laugh::wtf:
    Also if there was another phone in like last time, the overall net speed would of been drastically reduced, which it hasn't been.

And that sounds awesome :D no need to find some spare cash for a new PSU or Mobo, atleast for now :ohwell:

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you should yell at telstra, that you can hear other peoples voices on your line.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Crusader

Crusader

Thanks Received:
    No need to yell at Exetel for being my TSP? Though they get the lines straight from Telstra so um yeah.. I'll give them a call sometime this week, hopefully >_>

And lol @ thread getting off topic :) oh well.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if your phones from exe too, then yeah abuse them. they pass it on to hell$tra.

10 Year Member at TPU