• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendations for PC for a friend

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I don't see the harm in having a better lasting and performing GPU if budget can fit it even if it is 1080P gaming, what if his friend decided to play other games that are more demanding? Sure the CPU i've picked may not be the best of choice for any upcoming games but the combo will allow him to play any other demanding games at medium-high comfortably with good frame-rate.
Storage will always be a debate, his friend can easily buy a larger storage drive at later date if he likes, plus I don't see the harm in uninstalling games to replace it with another game if you're done with the game? I'm juggling games perfectly fine with a dedicated 500GB SSD for games which has about 6-8 games installed at the moment but if I run low then i'd just uninstall the games to make room for next.

That might not be the best idea with an SSD. The more you write and delete data and write again, the sooner your drive dies. A separate drive is always a better idea for a Gaming PC. Storage is at the point where it can be feasible to have a 480GB NVME drive for boot and a 1 to 3 TB HDD for storage without breaking the bank. If you want I have a Corsair MP500 480GB collecting dust.

Comments above about the GPU choice.
Yes I'm sure Adata and other brands available are probably cheaper but I just went with a manufacture i'm more familiar with.
The build I shared is just my opinion, If you can fit in a better GPU into the budget even if it exceed the requirements for XYZ game etc then I would do it for the better overall performance.
That 10-20 fps gain picking a 590 or 1660 or 1660ti or even 580 will provide a better overall experience in games.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
There you go. 6-8 games on a dedicated 500GB drive. Q.e.d.
I still have room for more games? I've not stated i've used it all now have I, I could easily install more if I wanted to but I don't because I only play 2-3 games at most on my PC. If i'm done with the game then I uninstall it and make backup of any saves to somewhere else, if I fancied playing the game again then it's just a matter of downloading the game again.
Like I said in my post, its a starting build which his friend could easily buy another SSD or HDD another time when funds are available again. It is by no means the end of the world if he use it all up on games as I said, he could easily uninstall finished games.
If he is the type that download movies etc then by all means get a bigger drive for starting build but if it's being used to web browse and play games then 500GB is a good start.
Edit:
Kapone - Probably not the best idea but i'm sure the SSD will last long enough for the next generation or even upgrade, if you live in Australia then by all means share the SSD with the OP.

System Name Main Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Memory 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
So, a bit of an update on this after speaking to my friend over the weekend. He's going to hang in there for the moment until the Ryzen 3000 chips are actually available so we can see the pricing etc. If it presents itself as a non-viable option due to pricing, he's going to go with one of the builds recommended here. He did tell me that he has some flexibility now with the budget so there isn't a 100% need to stay under the $1000AUD budget, but if it can be done, obviously he would prefer it.

Reactions: bug