• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Achieves Entertainment's Biggest Opening Weekend of All Time

My kids were big fans of the first red dead redemption, and I've heard many people speak highly of it, so I was eager to see what this new version had to offer. I watched about 45 minutes to an hour ,and all I really saw was a whole bunch of horseback riding, & although it was beautiful & certainly interesting, im kind of curious if this is going to suffer a "nostalgia/hype death". (there may be a term for it), but basically what i mean is, When the titles predecessor was loved by a younger generation, then they grew up ,and years later saw a new version of that very game was being released, so they pre-ordered it by the millions. Then they discover that they've grown ,and the game isnt half as fun as they recalled ,because now they're more mature , & more discerning and therefore harder to please. Its a reality of the gaming culture, a reality mostly older gamers only know about. We are finally in the age, where the kids who were born into online multiplayer, and Massive Triple A titles, are becoming old enough to feel this very dissapointing aspect of gaming reality....hopefully i am wrong, as i LOVE me a great SP game, but i got the feeling while watching & wanted to mention it. time will tell, once pre-order sales numbers have dropped off, and PC is released (if ever). I would certaily admit, Rock* deserves atleast our trust, as one (if not the) best/most consistent game Developer ever (Bullyaside).

Then maybe they played other game? No offense but comparing RDR2 to The Witcher 3 is a crime. RDR2 is alive on every damn corner, random stuff happens just by walking there, you don´t even need to do side quests or main story to have something happening and is ALWAYS different. You save the same dude twice on side mission and he gonna thank you "thanks again man, you saved me twice now", you walk by house windows and see a couple making love, or you see them doing different stuff.

Instead of just talking you should play the game yourself. RDR2 is clearly a next gen game and superior to most games due to the attention to detail. They push the boundaries and setr a new benchmark.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Then maybe they played other game? No offense but comparing RDR2 to The Witcher 3 is a crime. RDR2 is alive on every damn corner, random stuff happens just by walking there, you don´t even need to do side quests or main story to have something happening and is ALWAYS different. You save the same dude twice on side mission and he gonna thank you "thanks again man, you saved me twice now", you walk by house windows and see a couple making love, or you see them doing different stuff.

Instead of just talking you should play the game yourself. RDR2 is clearly a next gen game and superior to most games due to the attention to detail. They push the boundaries and setr a new benchmark.

What made the TW3 the best game ever was the story.

EDIT: It also has ruined gaming for me as everything else has been trash. I always considered myself a graphics whore but now I am a story and attention to details whore. GTAV just had cash grab and pop culture written all over it. Not only that, they are clearly working a cash grab (Rockstar). Waiting for people to buy it for a console and then open it up for PC so a bunch of suckers will buy it again. Just like GTAV. I bought GTAV when it was on sale for $30 and was quite disappointed. Not worth $60.

The editorial in this article is completely wrong - PC gaming was way healthier 5 years ago (the true PCMR renaissance). Zen has made PC gaming cheaper in some respects, but in general high end PC gaming is a complete s**tshow compared to 3 years ago. RAM prices have doubled, GPU prices are STILL higher than they were years ago for the SAME PERFORMANCE, and even SSD prices only recently came back down to where they were in 2016. Oh, and have fun downloading Origin, Uplay, Steam, and soon Bethesda's own f***ing software just to play multiple studio's games.

The fact is it takes an RX 570, 8GB of RAM, an SSD, and an R3 CPU to notably beat the base PS4 in performance. That's at least a $350-$400 system. There is a reason the PS4S cannot stay in stock at $250, and is quickly climbing above $300. In 2015-2016 I remember budget PC builds being WAY better...

I also agree - comparing TW3 to RDR is laughably ignorant. TW gaming series has a horribly shallow story and empty world. RDR2 on the other hand (just like you say) feels like the first real game I have played that is open world.

I would say it has almost the depth and detail of The Last of Us, and yet it is an entire open world. That's crazy! The detail in this huge world is crazy!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Just gtfo. Playing games with a controller on a correctly frame paced game at 30fps is not the end of the world
So very classy. Someone doesn’t like consoles and you decided to go all console diva on them. Whatever happened to people have differences of opinions, different likes, etc.

@the54thvoid merely said playing with a controller on a console was not his cup of tea and you get triggered and go all intolerant on him telling him to Get The F**k Out. Like I said, classy, intelligent, and mature.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I watched some gameplay of RDR2, saw one of the guys kill a dear with bow and arrow, looked boring to me, he didn't even have to put an arch on his bow and arrow, and he was pretty far away... just aim the little white deer right at the deers head and let loose, no skill at all... such mundane bow and arrow physics make me want to fall asleep, Skyrim on the other hand, it was quite exhilarating using bow and arrow.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I watched some gameplay of RDR2, saw one of the guys kill a dear with bow and arrow, looked boring to me, he didn't even have to put an arch on his bow and arrow, and he was pretty far away... just aim the little white deer right at the deers head and let loose, no skill at all... such mundane bow and arrow physics make me want to fall asleep, Skyrim on the other hand, it was quite exhilarating using bow and arrow.

Not to mention Skyrim can be tweaked (although there's only so much to do with all gameplay. But archery is more tweakable than other elements).

So very classy. Someone doesn’t like consoles and you decided to go all console diva on them. Whatever happened to people have differences of opinions, different likes, etc.

@the54thvoid merely said playing with a controller on a console and you get all intolerant on him telling him to Get The F**k Out. Like I said, classy, intelligent, and mature.
"doesn't like consoles" - what does that even mean?

You don't like games? I play games lol

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Ubisoft exec: "Imagine if it had lootboxes!"

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity OC + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
IGN 10/10 , I give you 0/10 because its not on PC ...

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Well, this thread escalated quickly :D. I personally never liked western-based movies/games/ books. Anything with Native Americans vs Americans, Wild west is not my thing. I do like revolvers though. I just can't comprehend the success of this title.

On topic: console for me these days is android based phone + a cheap gamepad from Ebay/ or OTG cable + PC gamepad. Alternatively a "gaming shell" like with Doogee S70. But I don't think I'd ever buy a console for a TV for a number of reasons.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Well, this thread escalated quickly :D. I personally never liked western-based movies/games/ books. Anything with Native Americans vs Americans, Wild west is not my thing. I do like revolvers though. I just can't comprehend the success of this title.

On topic: console for me these days is android based phone + a cheap gamepad from Ebay/ or OTG cable + PC gamepad. Alternatively a "gaming shell" like with Doogee S70. But I don't think I'd ever buy a console for a TV for a number of reasons.

That's understandable, but a lot of old Western stories had nothing to with Cowboys vs Indians. Just lawlessness vs law. And entrenched powers vs immigrants seeking better living out in the frontier (only to be disappointed). Even some of the most wildly known stories are still relevant in that sense. Like Billy the Kid was the son of an Irish immigrant from the East coast. He and his mother had a hard young life, and so he made his way West. Only to find that the landowners were corrupt (ironically, they were Irish themselves, but in the West lived like bigwigs and owned the local police). Billy the Kid sided with the Mexican immigrants at the time and some other low paid workers.. but went completely south and had a bloodlust. But at the heart of it, there were a lot of recognizable politics. That movie Young Guns was loosely based on this (the Lincoln County War).

While stories like the Alamo were funnily more about religious freedom. Mexico owned Texas at the time, but allowed settlers. But they completely jumped the shark and started demanding conversion to Catholicism, else you couldn't live there. The Americans who moved in slowly began to revolt, culminating in war. America's federal power finally joined in, simply because of the opportunity for more land. But it was originally about religion.

edit: Sorry for the history lesson. It's just that the West is more about what society is like in it's early stages... when there are no laws (or little law enforcement), and everyone is trying to carve out their niche in the world.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
edit: Sorry for the history lesson. It's just that the West is more about what society is like in it's early stages... when there are no laws (or little law enforcement), and everyone is trying to carve out their niche in the world.

And, it is not that fair off from where are today.

On topic: As for RDR1 or 2, I have not played either so I can't comment on either one being game of the decade but it has a tall order to surpass TW3. There were times I woke up in the morning thought about calling up Zoltan and Dandelion and see if they wanted to hit the bar - only to remember it was just a game. RDR2 may have a more alive world but that is not what makes a game. If I want an alive world then I'll put the headphones down and go for a hike. Excellent games are a combination of voices, acting, story telling, world, lore, graphics, game play, and, the most important, personal preference. TW3 was the perfect storm of them all. But frankly, it doesn't matter because if it doesn't come to PC - I'm not playing. I have no use to buy a console for a game or two. Games are just not that important.

Edit: And given the success of GTAV, it will come to PC. For full price. 8 months later. So I will wait again for it to go on sale.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I have a PS4 (and XOne) myself, but I still wouldn't play this on them, if there's a possible chance it'll make it to PC. I just keep those consoles around for exclusives, but not sure RDR2 will be one of those.

Now just imagine how great it would be if the consoles didn't have literal Potatoes for processors. I'm planning to pick up both next-gen consoles on the condition that they have Zen cores; not some tweaked, low-clocked tablet-class vegetable core.

Either way I have notoriously narrow tastes when it comes to gaming, and this game doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Every game that does, I can either play on my PC right now, or get my old Xbox 360 or PS2 back out of the cupboard. :)

You can't comprehend it because you clearly have no clue about what it is lmao. I mean what are you talking about with "Americans vs Natives?"

I bet you think GTAV is only about stealing cars too... right?

Now just imagine how great it would be if the consoles didn't have literal Potatoes for processors. I'm planning to pick up both next-gen consoles on the condition that they have Zen cores; not some tweaked, low-clocked tablet-class vegetable core.

Either way I have notoriously narrow tastes when it comes to gaming, and this game doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Every game that does, I can either play on my PC right now, or get my old Xbox 360 or PS2 back out of the cupboard. :)

The APU in the PS4 is not found in any tablet.... *rolls eyes at ignorance*

Actually, they put the R7 1700 in a couple of laptops - so does that make Zen a "Lowpowered Laptop CPU"?

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

On the plus side, Western towns weren't very populated anyhow. So that takes some of the load off.

Not sure how much wildlife there is, but it certainly looks pretty, even with that hardware.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
I built my PC to do one thing and that's to play games. That being said, I'm not going to deny myself the pleasure of playing a game because it's not on PC. Games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of US...etc...etc. Those games are some of the best if not better than anything the PC has to offer. Would i rather them be on the PC? Oh heck yeah but they ain't. Rockstar took a long while before it said anything about GTA V coming to PC. When it did come to PC it was the definitive version. Red Dead Redemption 2 most likely come out on PC but until then, yippee ki yay!

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I think PC gamers have higher expectations and are more demanding than the average consoler, so if Rockstar are avoiding PC, it may be because they know the title/product will disappoint PCers, are are therefore deliberately avoiding negative reviews. A reflection of a lower quality game?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I think PC gamers have higher expectations and are more demanding than the average consoler, so if Rockstar are avoiding PC, it may be because they know the title/product will disappoint PCers, are are therefore deliberately avoiding negative reviews. A reflection of a lower quality game?

Unlikely, look at the sales of GTAV. I think they are just waiting to get suckers to buy it for console and PC.