• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Red Snow on Screen, Occasional Black-Outs as Well

Stormchanter

Howdy!
So I thank you in advance for your help. I built my first pc about a year ago now and for the past few months I have been getting random black-outs of my middle monitor (I tri-screen). I can't link it directly to usage or time in use or anything specific, but it does seem to happen more frequently when playing games than when simply sitting there.
That I can live with, however, tonight the same monitor began doing this thing where it gets red "snow" (like old tv's not getting good reception) randomly. It began within a half hour of me installing the gameshow software (so it may be related) and happens off and on, usually lasting about a minute then going back to normal. Again, happens more frequently when a game is running.

Specs:
Win10Pro (64)
Intel i7-4790K
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Doing update or driver as I speak, gonna see if I can get a screenie of the problem for you.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yep, try a driver update, or rollback.
Clean the card with compressed air.
Lower any overclock or even stock settings.
Try turning the fan to 100%

Tell us which one works.

Stormchanter

Yep, try a driver update, or rollback.
Clean the card with compressed air.
Lower any overclock or even stock settings.
Try turning the fan to 100%

Tell us which one works.

Welp, after a driver update I had to re-align my taskbar where I wanted it...but I've sat here for 45 minutes with no red snow thusfar. I gotta get to bed (I get up at 4am for work) but if it repeats tomorrow I'll get a screenie and update.
I keep everything inside the rig super clean (I build electronics for a living) and I don't have anything currently overclocked.
I don't understand the fan recommendation, unless you're thinking something is overheating, but heat info on the rig is reading 84FCPU/82MB with only 2 fans currently firing (I have 6 and a very large case along with a monster cpu cooler) but I'd be happy to look into fan settings if the problem persists.

I'll also try to keep a log of the black-outs going forward to see if I can match them up with any other system info.

Thanks again for the help!!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Welp, after a driver update I had to re-align my taskbar where I wanted it...but I've sat here for 45 minutes with no red snow thusfar. I gotta get to bed (I get up at 4am for work) but if it repeats tomorrow I'll get a screenie and update.
I keep everything inside the rig super clean (I build electronics for a living) and I don't have anything currently overclocked.
I don't understand the fan recommendation, unless you're thinking something is overheating, but heat info on the rig is reading 84FCPU/82MB with only 2 fans currently firing (I have 6 and a very large case along with a monster cpu cooler) but I'd be happy to look into fan settings if the problem persists.

I'll also try to keep a log of the black-outs going forward to see if I can match them up with any other system info.

Thanks again for the help!!

It sounds to me like he was referring to the GPU fan. Your symptoms COULD be indicative of an over heated GPU and/or VRAM. Thus the 100% suggestion.

Do you use one of the programs to monitor GPU temps and control the fans, for example Afterburner?

Stormchanter

It sounds to me like he was referring to the GPU fan. Your symptoms COULD be indicative of an over heated GPU and/or VRAM. Thus the 100% suggestion.

Do you use one of the programs to monitor GPU temps and control the fans, for example Afterburner?

The motherboard has it's own utility (AsRock, program is called A-Tuning) that monitors the basics, I'll look into getting Afterburner later when I get home from work.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I was thinking that perhaps the GPU was overheating, or if the addition of the recording software may be stressing a part of the board or chips that gets hot and is only passively cooled that cranking up the fan might help.

Sounds like it was software causing the issue, but if it returns perhaps try running it cooler by ramping up the GPU fan.

Finding a solution is usually about eliminating variables.

Stormchanter

Ok, so to update it appears the driver update fixed the red-snow problem. It has blinked off twice in the evening, but that isn't more more often than usual. Thanks again for the help folks! It's is deeply appreciated!