• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Regarding 6-pin PCIe rated wattage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In PC world we refer to the Negative - as "Ground"
The chasis is connected to "Earth" ground which if this would happen ..... ground negative touch ground earth =House fire.

Have you put a multimeter to the PC PSU mains input "Earth wire" & the output of the PSU "ground wire"?

If you have then it would read 0 ohms regardless if you select continuity test or ohms test. It reads 0 ohms. In other words, the mains input "Earth wire" & the output ground wire are tied together.

This means your statement of house fire is incorrect, false.

Last edited:
Dude the Ground in DC is The Negative(-) lead!.....If you were to short (Ground negative-) To mains earth your'd trip the breaker!
Something tells me you don't know much about electricity (I'm an eletrician by profession btw !).

No hard feelings fam. I have another thread about cooling fans you can help me with ;).

If there was a potential difference between the two I would believe you, but it reads zero ohms with a multimeter.

Read the last paragraph in this link power supply - Disconnecting ATX PSU's ground from mains earth to protect my oscilloscope - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

Processor 7950X, PBO CO -15
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX (rev. 1.0)
Cooling EVGA CLC 360 w/Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB fans
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB F5-6000J3040G32GA2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070
Storage 970 EVO Plus 2TB x2, 970 EVO 1TB; SATA: 850 EVO 500GB (HDD cache), HDDs: 6TB Seagate, 1TB Samsung
Display(s) ASUS 32" 165Hz IPS (VG32AQL1A), ASUS 27" 144Hz TN (MG278Q)
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Razer BlackShark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Logitech M720
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R MX
Software Win10 Pro, PrimoCache, VMware Workstation Pro 16
Dude the Ground in DC is The Negative(-) lead!.....If you were to short (Ground negative-) To mains earth your'd trip the breaker!
Something tells me you don't know much about electricity (I'm an eletrician by profession btw !).

No hard feelings fam. I have another thread about cooling fans you can help me with ;).

In the US at least, Earth ground goes to a metal rod in the Earth and enters your PSU via a ground conductor on power cable and terminates on the metal shell of the PSU. The PSU DC circuit also uses that shell for DC ground/common/0V. There should be zero potential between Earth ground and DC ground based on what these words represent in the US.

You'd at most see sparks if you run -12V DC to ground, but even that won't draw enough current to trip a breaker in the breaker panel. My RM1000x PSU only provides DC 0.8A to -12V, that's not enough current to to heat up a wire of the gauge you'd typically find on an ATX 20(+4) connector.

In the US at least, Earth ground goes to a metal rod in the Earth and enters your PSU via a ground conductor on power cable and terminates on the metal shell of the PSU. The PSU DC circuit also uses that shell for DC ground/common/0V. There should be zero potential between Earth ground and DC ground based on what these words represent in the US.

At long last someone with sense thank you, ..you have an up vote.

As a side note I'm in the UK, but it makes no difference, it's all done internally inside the PSU.
It's weird because in EU the ground negative DC must be physically insulated from the earth connector otherwise it will spark violently basically a dead short!.

I want you to try this:
Run a thin wire from your car battery's negative lug and touch it to the earth pin of your garage outlet!

If I was you, I would ask for a refund from whoever trained you. I don't believe you are even an electrician.

I have zero qualification & an IQ of only 12. Trust me, I'm a very dumb person & barely scrap by day to day. To tell you the truth, I'm a slacker & a bum.

Last edited:

As a side note I'm in the UK, but it makes no difference, it's all done internally inside the PSU.

If I was you, I would ask for a refund from whoever trained you. I don't believe you are even an electrician.

I have zero qualification & an IQ of only 12. Trust me, I'm a very dumb person & barely scrap by day to day. To tell you the truth, I'm a slacker & a bum.

From my point of view if you spliced DC negative to earth you would be sending/loosing electrons it may not spark or trip a breaker but most likely you will be putting unnecessary load to your psu eitherway I will check now.

I'live in Germany if you're wondering.

Edit:
I stand corrected!!
Wven though in theory earth does not benefit DC apliances with voltages lower than 50v DC.
Thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
From my point of view if you spliced DC negative to earth you would be sending/loosing electrons it may not spark or trip a breaker but most likely you will be putting unnecessary load to your psu eitherway I will check now.

I'live in Germany if you're wondering.

Edit:
I stand corrected!!
Wven though in theory earth does not benefit DC apliances with voltages lower than 50v DC.
Thank you all!

If you look at the link, I provided earlier in this thread you can see earth wire "mains input" & ground output which is marked as earth are connected.

If I was to connect a multimeter the mains earth wire & the other end to the ground output of the PSU would I see any voltage. The answer is no. If it's zero Ohms then it's a short.

If you look at the link, I provided earlier in this thread you can see earth wire "mains input" & ground output which is marked as earth are connected.

If I was to connect a multimeter the mains earth wire & the other end to the ground output of the PSU would I see any voltage. The answer is no. If it's zero Ohms then it's a short.
Yep (facepalm) silly me :S

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Locked per OP request :) thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.