• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remnant 2: DLSS vs FSR vs XeSS Comparison

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
@the54thvoid case in point on the earlier discussion.

This post, selectively quoting and written solely to reply to the personal insult portion of this post, has garnered the most reactions in the entire thread, all unironically liking it. It adds nothing whatsoever to the discussion, and is a net negative to the thread and the forums. I'd report it as low quality/trolling if I thought it might actually achieve that, but I do that pretty often and very few get through, what do you think?

honestly, you all get as upset with this as people did with that dress thing being gold or blue years ago, or that word that people hear differently, who gives a crap?
Why do you care what someone else says looks better....as if that should influence your own opinion of what you like?

Personally I like the sharpened look better, it allows me to distinguish better between objects, but im all for giving users full control of that and not forcing it.
If its so important to people, im also in favor or showing all upscalers with sharpness levels set to equal amounts so we can better compare....

But even then, comparing is pointless specifically because Nvidia made DLSS proprietary, so what does anyone who doesnt own an RTX2000 and up care anyway for that comparison....

and ultimately, I would still check per game what I like best anyway...

just these emotions surrounding a freaking upscaling tech which in a better world we would not even want or have....tis baffling.

If only more people understood this, if I want sharpening, I'll choose that value myself.

I think people are so used to seeing FSR be over sharpened by default they've become conditioned to equate sharpness with detail lol.

As a photo retouching expert, sharpen is something quite hard to master, you need a several layers with different settings to make a striking result.

Ex:

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700

yall remember that sweet sweet MSAA? because I do.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Why do you care what someone else says looks better
It matters because it's a disingenuous way to debate, if you can even call it that. Personal attacks, insults, rudeness, completely off topic nonsense, this behavior is applauded here and it's baffling to me that some people, including mods, not only enable it, but reward it. That's before we even get to inexperienced people claiming to be full bottle. Would you watch a review for a car, where the reviewer just read the specs or watched a review himself? Or would you prefer to seek experienced people or seek the experience yourself... it's easy for me to see which has more value. It's not even about subject XYZ, it's user attitudes and terrible methods of debating here and across the net. The art of having a respectful, articulate conversation, even in disagreement, seems to be a dying art form. I'm in a good position where I'm perfectly able to call attention to it, discuss, debate, and even increasingly be a bit provocative myself (hard to argue with results eh?) then move on. I just call out what I see, when I see it.
yall remember that sweet sweet MSAA? because I do.
Lawd I love me some MSAA, and to a broader extent Super Sampling as an AA / IQ improving method, it's just so damn resource intensive. The choice would be good though, if it doesn't break all or part of the render pipeline, if not only to revisit games in the future and use it, but I suppose VSR/DSR/DLDSR is there for that, it can just take a lot of resolution sometimes to overcome bad TAA.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
When will people realize that forcing a baked in sharpening filter on everything doesn't magically make one upscaling tech better from the rest? If I want to sharpen the output then give me an option to do it. Even as basic as the FSR 2 implementation in Squad has a slider for FSR sharpening intensity.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
It matters because it's a disingenuous way to debate, if you can even call it that. Personal attacks, insults, rudeness, completely off topic nonsense, this behavior is applauded here and it's baffling to me that some people, including mods, not only enable it, but reward it. That's before we even get to inexperienced people claiming to be full bottle. Would you watch a review for a car, where the reviewer just read the specs or watched a review himself? Or would you prefer to seek experienced people or seek the experience yourself... it's easy for me to see which has more value. It's not even about subject XYZ, it's user attitudes and terrible methods of debating here and across the net. The art of having a respectful, articulate conversation, even in disagreement, seems to be a dying art form. I'm in a good position where I'm perfectly able to call attention to it, discuss, debate, and even increasingly be a bit provocative myself (hard to argue with results eh?) then move on. I just call out what I see, when I see it.

I like reviews that show me why they have the opinion they have, if the medium allows for that of course, your car example makes it hard because you cant show how a car feels when handling it.
Angry Joe for example in his game reviews shows what annoys him and I as an individual can then choose if I agree or disagree with that and how that affects me personally.

And I see that the same here, if you like one better because the sharpness gives of perceived detail, then....great? go for that, and if you dont like it then..great, dont go for that.
We dont need this debate really, but I guess it is interesting to see what other people appreciate in an image every now and then.

Personal attacks, insults, rudeness etc is exactly what my last sentence was about:
"just these emotions surrounding a freaking upscaling tech which in a better world we would not even want or have....tis baffling."

But to be completely fair, your very first comment on this thread is baiting for some.... reactions so to speak.

When will people realize that forcing a baked in sharpening filter on everything doesn't magically make one upscaling tech better from the rest? If I want to sharpen the output then give me an option to do it. Even as basic as the FSR 2 implementation in Squad has a slider for FSR sharpening intensity.

Well what makes an upscaling tech better then the rest? if its visuals and people like the sharpened look better....well then it does make it better forcing a baked filter.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Personal attacks, insults, rudeness etc is exactly what my last sentence was about:
"just these emotions surrounding a freaking upscaling tech which in a better world we would not even want or have....tis baffling."
Perhaps we've misunderstood each other, I have no gripe whatsoever with the reviewer and their content, it's some of the people in the comments that devolved into such terrible behavior.

As for want or have, I mean, I'm actually happy it came along, mostly. It's a double edged sword, as it can mean that games rely on it to get acceptable performance, which stings extra hard when the game visually doesn't really deliver relative to how heavy it is. But in terms of what it's actually achieving? I'm downright impressed, I'm not going to die on the hill of how the magic pixels make it to my screen, if the results are excellent, and as we've seen, perhaps even in excess of Native+TAA while starting with far less pixels, and giving a performance boost at the same time. Another tool in my optimization toolbox if you will. And often the result is so good (or TAA so bad, making it look good), that I prefer it anyway, and the extra frames are always welcome unless I have render budget excess.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
All over a 1/2 baked turd of a game.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I'm just going to put this here.

The difference between sharpness and detail in video​

I do not see any shimmering in the clip. Maybe it is related to the panel used? On a well configured QLED, FSR looks clearly best to me. XESS seems to be worst. I hope HDR was not activated in windows. This can mess things up, even if auto HDR is disabled.

Me neither.

Im playing the video in 4k60 with my monitor also running 60Hz. Game mode etc off.

I usually stay out of these discussions since very often, it comes down to personal preferences. Amount of sharpening etc. But I cant help pointing out a couple details I noticed, or didn't notice....

bricks_black.JPG

Brick walls look very different in this game. And since there are lots of them, it could be fun if someone with the right knowledge could estimate the difference in rendering power required.

bricks_black_close.JPG

This looks like some algorithm took a peak at the textures and decided to save some time, bandwidth and VRAM by replacing it with a couple smeared out shades of gray. Not a fan of the washed out colors either. Certainly no need to run out for an OLED. Its quite noticeable all this.. fog?

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
I'm just going to put this here.

The difference between sharpness and detail in video​

This guy is losing his mind because he is so desperately holding on to the idea that visuals and what is good and what isnt, is a fact and not an opinion, objective and not subjective.
I understand though, imagine your job hanging on something so...fleeting, you would want it to be hammered down, so we all agree on what is good and what isnt.

but sad truth is....no....people dont agree on what looks better sooo live with that.

0:46 "but it is ugly" yeah, that is your opinion, which you are entitled to of course, but its not a fact.
"the other thing you are doing is, you are highlighting the noise" yeah ok, which apparently you really dont like...but maybe I dont like a soft image? again....opinions.
And later on he adds a bit of sharpness anyway....because he thinks it looks better....which again is fine but how does he not see the hypocrisy lol

but fine, its not more detailed, it just LOOKS more detailed, more perceived detail.....are we all ok now?

Last edited:
System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Me neither.

Im playing the video in 4k60 with my monitor also running 60Hz. Game mode etc off.

I usually stay out of these discussions since very often, it comes down to personal preferences. Amount of sharpening etc. But I cant help pointing out a couple details I noticed, or didn't notice....

View attachment 306612

Brick walls look very different in this game. And since there are lots of them, it could be fun if someone with the right knowledge could estimate the difference in rendering power required.

View attachment 306613

This looks like some algorithm took a peak at the textures and decided to save some time, bandwidth and VRAM by replacing it with a couple smeared out shades of gray. Not a fan of the washed out colors either. Certainly no need to run out for an OLED. Its quite noticeable all this.. fog?
Which is upscalers are used in the wall picture you took.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Which is upscalers are used in the wall picture you took.

you can see it in the image above, where its not focussed/zoomed in, the left image is either DLSS or XeSS and the right is FSR2.2

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Man FSR.Quality look completely wash out next to DLSS.Performance (with a touch of Sharpen+ filter) to me

FSR.Quality.png
DLSS.Performance Sharpen+.png

Processor Intel Core i7-975 @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage III GENE
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 3x4 GB GeIL Enhance Plus 1750 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 7970 3 GB
Storage Samsung F2 500 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2243LNX
Case Antec Twelve Hundred V3
Audio Device(s) VIA VT2020
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1000 W Special OC Edition
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
What do you mean by "washed out"? Dynamic weather clearly is at play there.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Man FSR.Quality look completely wash out next to DLSS.Performance (with a touch of Sharpen+ filter) to me
10% lower power consumption, 35% more performance, the power of sharpening actually done right, for all of the extra 60 seconds it took to set up.

Care to test XESS and inject sharpening too? If you can replicate anywhere close to these results, yikes. FSR is in trouble.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
10% lower power consumption, 35% more performance, the power of sharpening actually done right, for all of the extra 60 seconds it took to set up.

Care to test XESS and inject sharpening too? If you can replicate anywhere close to these results, yikes. FSR is in trouble.

XeSS Performance with Sharpen+ put FSR.Quality mode to shame really
XeSS Perf Sharpen+.png
FSR Quality.png

Daniel Owens said in this GPU news that he think XeSS 1.1 look much better than FSR2 in Remnant2 and Ratchet&Clanks (on his Steam Deck no less), so Radeon owners should put out their blind brand loyalty and use XeSS instead :D.
And yeah everyone should be against AMD blocking XeSS in games from now on :D

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
its a good thing you 2 have eachother at least ;)