• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacement router for home...

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Now I can't remember asking everyone about this but I wished to get some more input rather than my my own crazy ideas....

Currently I have a 950/200 fibre connection for my home internet and with the ISP router, its very locked down and I can't do anything with it at all. They've said I can go into bridged mode and use a replacement router (it wouldn't need to be a fibre based router, as it would just be an ethernet connected...) But my only real question would be, which one??

I'm trying to consider buying something that might be a little OTT but not so OTT I could program NASA or something with it..... I'm toying with the idea of getting something that will handle over 1Gbps speeds but I don't see many routers that do that. As I'd be using the current router for just a modem, I'd need to make sure I have a few LAN ports in the replacement/add-on (however you look at it! lol) so I could connect both of my switches - currently a 24 port HP ProCurve switch and a 8 port 10Gb TP Link switch... I'm looking to swap them both out for a 10Gb switch but sadly at the moment, I'm looking to grab the UniFi Switch Enterprise XG 24 to do just that as I can't see anything else around that would do 10Gb over 24 ports for home...

Could anyone suggest a good router for me?? Even WiFi strength doesn't need to be a real importance, I'd be quite happy and also tempted as well, to get a couple AP devices to help with the WiFi strength but most of my hardware is hard wired...

Many thanks in advance everyone!! :)