• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Risc os direct on a pi4

Risc os direct on a pi4 I have tried to get it on the PI4 a number of times with no success. :( I downloaded it from Google drive
. downloaded on my Mac then extracted the file and burned it on both the Pi imager and also balenaEtcher both said it had been done with no problem.When i put it in the Pi my monitor says check the HFMI cable no signal,All my other pi os s work with no problem about the HDMI cable?Very weird.o_OI did download the light version os Risc OS but i want the full version.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
What exactly did you get?
Their download is not from a google drive and the video you link is about the PI400 which has a specific version for rev 1.0 only, which is not the Pi 4.
And as far as I can see, there is no "light" version of RISC OS Pi. They have RISC OS Pi and a special version for the 400, RISC OS Pi 400.

What exactly did you get?
Their download is not from a google drive and the video you link is about the PI400 which has a specific version for rev 1.0 only, which is not the Pi 4.
And as far as I can see, there is no "light" version of RISC OS Pi. They have RISC OS Pi and a special version for the 400, RISC OS Pi 400.
Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses.
RISCOS_DIRECT_528_Jan_21_a.zip (1.2G) is too large for Google to scan for viruses. Would you still like to download this file?
The light basic version you can get on the pi imagaer
Click here to download a pre-made Pi4/400 complete disc image
(Jan 2021) 16-32GB when you click that it comes to
Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses.
RISCOS_DIRECT_528_Jan_21_a.zip (1.2G) is too large for Google to scan for viruses. Would you still like to download this file?

Last edited:
System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Ah, you were looking at RISC OS Direct, not RISC OS Open.
Have you tried RISC OS Open directly? As far as I can see Direct is just a alternative distribution with some of their own added stuff.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I remember playing with RISC OS when it was still called Arthur in 1987 on an Acorn Archimedes and seeing how awesomely fast it was. /nostalgia :love:

I remember playing with RISC OS when it was still called Arthur in 1987 on an Acorn Archimedes and seeing how awesomely fast it was. /nostalgia :love:
It certainly appeals to me,but it works a lot different to Mac and Windows ,and will take a lot of getting use to.

I am trying this which is simuler to Risc os PiMiga v1.4 for Pi 4.
i have the later version.

I just have just put pimiga in my Pi instead out loading up like it usually does
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 Pimiga400 tty1
Pimiga400 login pi
Password. pimig
after that it mentions about the program. and ends up with this underneaththis
pi Pimiga 400. what do i do after that? I tried login pi. password. pimiga
I am lost o_O
instructions: *this is free but contains NO AMIGA ROMS, you must bring your own.
unzip w 7zip. Burn image with writer of your choice to min 32GB MicroSD card. when burn is completed, eject card and re insert, when KICK partition loads copy a A1200 3.1 kickstart to KICK partition.
The file MUST BE NAMED kick31a1200.rom .Once completed Eject and boot in pi4/400
*not seeing a kick partition in winblows? run diskmgmt.msc and add a drive letter to the kick partition, then it will show.
once booted to Pimiga, PressF12 and choose "QUIT" login as pi/pimiga
run sudo raspi-config

Last edited:
I have been updating my Pi putting some new OS,s on there Ubuntu 22 ,Risc os the basic one , Raspberry 64 Bit.I have downloaded the latest and bigest RISC Os Direct i will leave that for a another day, as that is quite involved o_O
Chris has put a lot of work in it ,yes i have read the instructions he has put with the os. :)