• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rivatuner or ATI tool? MaximumPC GPU OCing guide

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
Just got my new issue of MaximumPC and they have a section on overclocking your video card. Now, I'm not one who has overclocked my VGA before (other than CCC), so I was looking forward to this. They used Rivatuner because "this free third-party program offers far greater user control" over the utilities AMD and Nvidia provide, and "the capacity to create overclocking profiles for various computing scenarios are just a few of the ways Rivatuner stands out from other utilities." They then go on to show you how to use it to OC/control fan speed for AMD or Nvidia cards.

Why no ATItool or ATI traytools? I've never used any of these (including Rivatuner), although I have downloaded looked at ATItool, and I see you can create various profiles for OCing. Just curious as to why you would think MaxPC would not use these. Do they not support all/enough Nvidia cards, or is it they just had to pick one and decided ATItool would sound too biased toward ATI/AMD? Whatever.

Anyway, if I were to try OCing my video card, would Rivatuner be easier than ATItool? About the same features?

Thanks.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
rivatuner is the best choice right now for overclocking.

atitool currently has many issues with latest cards, use atitool to test if your overclock is stable and rivatuner to oc

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
rivatuner is the best choice right now for overclocking.

atitool currently has many issues with latest cards, use atitool to test if your overclock is stable and rivatuner to oc

+1 :respect::respect::respect:

System Name My Lovely PC :)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz @3.12GHz - 1.35v/390fsb/8x multi
Motherboard Gigabyte P43-DS3L
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - MX2 paste
Memory 2GB, Team Value Ram 667 @ 780MHz
Video Card(s) ECS 8800GT 512MB @ 700/1720/2100
Storage 160GB Hitachi Deskstar/80GB Maxtor PY080L0
Display(s) Asus VH226H 22" 1920x1080
Case Eye-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD, AC888 8 channel audio
Power Supply 570 Watt, TRUST PSU
Software Windows 7 Beta
wiz is so honest :)

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Hawk1, ATT (ATI Tray Tools), has some severe issues when it comes oc'ing, across a wide range of cards, old and new. Everything from oc'ing not working to performance drops when it does work. For example, ATT will sometime cause a card, an oc'd card at that, to perform worse than at stock. The ATT creator himself hasn't been really spending as much time on the project, he even admitted on Guru3D forums to having some big issues in his personal life he needed to deal with. Also, the various API/driver tweaks in ATT have tendency of either not working, resetting, getting stuck, or simply doing opposite of what they were set to do. Again, this probably has to do with lack of updates for ATT in order to keep up with whatever ATI was doing to the drivers.

ATITool has the best, in my opinion, artifact and GPU stability tester I have ever encountered. Heck, I even use it to test my general system stability, along with some other tools. But, ATITool lacks API/driver tweaks/settings that come with RivaTuner, ATT, and even Catalysts themselves.

RivaTuner is great for nVidia's GPUs, although it works just fine (more or less) on ATI GPUs. It seems developers focused on nVidia’s GPUs, and therefore their ATI support is… lacking. I've run into numerous bugs and issues over the years when using RivaTunner with ATI cards.

I guess the best option would be to stick with whatever ATI’s Catalyst and nVidia’s ForceWare offer you, but both of those options are bloated and simply inadequate. So, I recommend to using all of em, for various purposes. ATT for it’s OSD features, ATITool for stability testing and overclocking, and RivaTunner for any specific tweaks that are absent/unavailable in others, although as far as ATI cards are concerned, I can’t think of many/any.