• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROCCAT Kone Pro Air

pzogel

Reviewer
The Kone Pro Air is ROCCAT's first wireless Kone. Much like its wired sibling, it comes with PixArt's PAW3370 sensor, optical main button switches, and pure PTFE feet. At just 73 g, the Kone Pro Air is exceptionally light, and features both 2.4 GHz and Bluetooth connectivity, with more than 100 hours of battery life.

Show full review

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
  • No wireless extender included
  • RGB lighting wrecks polling stability in wireless (2.4 GHz) mode
  • All polling rates except for 1000 Hz are broken in wired mode
  • ROCCAT Swarm causes FPS drops on my system
The dongle should be plugged into a USB 2.0 port for good reasons. The RGB lighting is unnecessary bling: fashion not form. All polling rates except for 1000 Hz are broken in wired mode ... wtf?
ROCCAT Swarm causes FPS drops on my system ... does not sound promising.

Thanks but no thanks.

The mouse getting a recommendation despite these ridiculous cons is pretty questionable. It's not the same shape but at this price you probably want to be looking at the G Pro X Superlight?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
For $129 surly they could of added more buttons, although i cannot see me buying another ROCCAT item for some time yet they just kepted asking me to RMA shit back ( over $50 in shipping costs ) to them for them to send me yet another faulty item and once the warranty ran out basically it's out of warranty we cannot help you. So yeah they can go screw some other poor soul.

Been using one of these for the last few months. Can't fault my copy. Never had swarm cause FPS issues for myself and also don't use my mouse in wired to worry about that issue. Battery life has been great and usually does most of a week.
Have the mouse for the shape and it's lovely.

pzogel

Reviewer
The mouse getting a recommendation despite these ridiculous cons is pretty questionable. It's not the same shape but at this price you probably want to be looking at the G Pro X Superlight?
Most of these cons don't apply in a lot of cases, which is why I've decided to go with the Recommended.

Polling rates other than 1000 Hz being broken in wired mode is hardly meanigful, 99% of people will be using the mouse in 2.4 GHz mode, and those who don't likely opt for 1000 Hz anyway. Swarm may only interact negatively with my system, and one can simply terminate Swarm at any time if it does. The wireless extender issue can be remedied by a $5 investment. The big one is the polling instability with RGB enabled, though unless AIMO is used, polling stability is at least decent enough, and without RGB, it is flawless. The GPX doesn't even have RGB to begin with.

I agree though, there are plenty of excellent alternatives around this price point not suffering from issues like these, as pointed out in the last paragraph.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
A hundred and thirty dollars for a mouse with that many problems is just horrible and damages the brand name if you ask me.

Clearly directed at gullible people who like lighting before quality and have no idea of what money means. You can get similar 'performance' for 40-60 dollars.

archagon

@pzogel, you mention in the review that the 100h battery life is over 2.4GHz, but the Amazon page for the mouse says it's over Bluetooth: "With RGB off and in Bluetooth mode the Kone Pro Air will achieve 100+ hours of battery life." (Roccat's official website does not specify either way.) Can you clarify which one it is? Was this a mistake in the review?

(For the record, my mouse lasted almost exactly 7 days of heavy use over 2.4GHz with RGB off, and about 6 days with RGB on. But I didn't measure the exact number of hours: maybe 8-10 of continuous motion per day?)

pzogel

Reviewer
@pzogel, you mention in the review that the 100h battery life is over 2.4GHz, but the Amazon page for the mouse says it's over Bluetooth: "With RGB off and in Bluetooth mode the Kone Pro Air will achieve 100+ hours of battery life." (Roccat's official website does not specify either way.) Can you clarify which one it is? Was this a mistake in the review?

(For the record, my mouse lasted almost exactly 7 days of heavy use over 2.4GHz with RGB off, and about 6 days with RGB on. But I didn't measure the exact number of hours: maybe 8-10 of continuous motion per day?)
That number came straight from ROCCAT, and they noted that marketing indeed got that part wrong.

Tanatos7

RGB lighting wrecks polling stability in wireless (2.4 GHz) mode
Does this problem still exist?

For $129 surly they could of added more buttons, although i cannot see me buying another ROCCAT item for some time yet they just kepted asking me to RMA shit back ( over $50 in shipping costs ) to them for them to send me yet another faulty item and once the warranty ran out basically it's out of warranty we cannot help you. So yeah they can go screw some other poor soul.
I used to have a "membranical" ROCCAT keyboard. It was SO bad for the price. My ROG Strix Flare, while being significantly more expensive, is also significantly better.

Why didn't you test in Bluetooth mode? I heard in another review that it performs well and maybe it's not negatively impacted from the RGB.

pzogel

Reviewer
Why didn't you test in Bluetooth mode? I heard in another review that it performs well and maybe it's not negatively impacted from the RGB.
Bluetooth maxes out at 133 Hz, so even 2.4 GHz with issues performs better by several magnitudes than flawless Bluetooth. BT isn't any different on the KPA than on any other BT-SIG compliant device.

jfe

Did you found out why would Roccat Swarm cause fps problems? I ask because I bought this mouse like month ago and from this time I had big problems with games like CS2 to work smooth.
Like at the start of the games everything was fine but after like 15-30min there would be big spikes and stuttering that I couldn't play anymore. I was using the newest version of drivers.
Yesterday I found topic about Roccat Swarm so after that I uninstalled software + change mouse to my old one and seems like right now there is no such a problems.

pzogel

Reviewer
Did you found out why would Roccat Swarm cause fps problems? I ask because I bought this mouse like month ago and from this time I had big problems with games like CS2 to work smooth.
Like at the start of the games everything was fine but after like 15-30min there would be big spikes and stuttering that I couldn't play anymore. I was using the newest version of drivers.
Yesterday I found topic about Roccat Swarm so after that I uninstalled software + change mouse to my old one and seems like right now there is no such a problems.
Swarm is just bad I'm afraid, not much that can be done about that. ROCCAT is aware of the issues but not willing or able to fix them.

jfe

I have possibility to refund my mouse so I think I will do it. Thanks for answer