• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RocketRaid 2782

bloeff

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I do a lot of audio processing. A while back the bottleneck was the size of the files. The 2782 raid card solved that problem. I had no problems at all running it on my Asus P6X58D motherboard for at least a couple of years. It was fully populated with 32 SSD's and had fantastic transfer and remarkable stability for Raid 0. The next bottleneck was processing. So I did a build with Asus P9X79. All of a sudden the raid card doesn't work anymore. Tried Intel DX79TO - no luck. Even tried AMD something - no luck. Back in 2012, I spent about 3 months going back and forth with Asus and Highpoint. Believe it or not, in all that time, neither company had the other's product to test on! Highpoint did send me another card - which never worked. Two years later (now) I contacted Highpoint again to see if they have any idea yet which, if any, modern motherboard the 2782 works on. I'm not holding my breath! This is like surreal. Was there some magic in the X58 chipset that has been lost forever? I'm really tired of sitting on 32 unused SSD's. Does anyone have a clue as to a compatible motherboard? If not, where can I go? Sorry so long-winded. Thanks for your patience!

Respectfully,
Bruce Loeffler

mikeyce

Just thought id share my experience. I am still trying to resolve the problem as we speak....

My post below on other forums trying to find help...

Hello everyone,

I currently am having a problem when trying to add more hard drives to my machine. PC list below:

Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H board
Intel i7-3770K chip
Gskill Ripjawsx 32GB of memory 4x8 sticks
850w Antec power supply
Norco 24 HDD bay case
RocketrAID 2782 controller
Running Windows server 2012

Everything is in stock form. Nothing overclocked or changed.

I currently am running a rocket-raid 2782 in my pcix16 slot. I have the raid card controlling all hdd's (there are none attached to the motherboard and no CD-rom installed either). Raid controller on the board is also disabled. The problem i am having is that when I try to install my 21'st hard drive into the machine. I currently have 20 drives installed and everything is working fine. 4 of the drives are in raid and running the OS. The other 16 are JBOD and each have there own drive letter assigned. Now the problem is that when i install the 21st hard drive the computer will lock up briefly for about 10 seconds then run normally for approx 30 seconds then windows will display a error message telling me the computer has encountered a error and needs to restart. I have gone through and tried to add different drives and brands of drives thinking this may be the cause and still received the same results every time. I then also tried changing cables, slots on where the drives are, breakout cables from the raid card to the case main holders, and everything else power or cable wise and still with the same results. I also then tried to add the 21st hard drive using my eSata docking station which holds 2 drives. The computer still does the same thing just with the eSata it lags a bit longer maybe by 10 more seconds before it decides to bring up the error message and restarting. So i then tried to use my same eSata cradle (which also has usb) and with the usb the computer is fine. I was able to add 6 more drives with my usb cradles with no problem. So now my question to you is: Is the motherboard only capable of controlling 20 drives per channel on the pci slot through the board? I have searched online and cannot find anything anywhere. I am just stumped on why it would work to 20 then stop.....any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time everyone!!

mikeyce

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I do a lot of audio processing. A while back the bottleneck was the size of the files. The 2782 raid card solved that problem. I had no problems at all running it on my Asus P6X58D motherboard for at least a couple of years. It was fully populated with 32 SSD's and had fantastic transfer and remarkable stability for Raid 0. The next bottleneck was processing. So I did a build with Asus P9X79. All of a sudden the raid card doesn't work anymore. Tried Intel DX79TO - no luck. Even tried AMD something - no luck. Back in 2012, I spent about 3 months going back and forth with Asus and Highpoint. Believe it or not, in all that time, neither company had the other's product to test on! Highpoint did send me another card - which never worked. Two years later (now) I contacted Highpoint again to see if they have any idea yet which, if any, modern motherboard the 2782 works on. I'm not holding my breath! This is like surreal. Was there some magic in the X58 chipset that has been lost forever? I'm really tired of sitting on 32 unused SSD's. Does anyone have a clue as to a compatible motherboard? If not, where can I go? Sorry so long-winded. Thanks for your patience!

Respectfully,
Bruce Loeffler

hello,

I am wondering if you ever found a board that worked with the rocket raid 2782? I am still searching and still have no answers. Thanks