1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROG Rampage VI Extreme + U.2

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Vego, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Vego

Vego

Thanks Received:
    hello

I have Samsun 960 Pro for system and intel P3520 for storage.

does any1 has an idea how to run U.2 drive on this mobo?

Samsung is installed under the plastic cover. when it was in dimm.2 it didn't work neither...

Damn MSI X299 SLI Plus for 35% price worked fine...

please help!!!

2. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    You can use a U.2 to M.2 adapter.

3. Vego

Vego

Thanks Received:
    why would i, the mobo has u.2

4. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    I don't get what your question is then? You don't know how to cable a u.2 drive? With a u.2 cable?

5. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    That's a nice mobo.

Looks like your connector is right under the big ROG logo heatsink. What exactly are you having problems with?

edit: That plastic cover for your m.2 is weird.. but what do I know. Is it also getting in the way of the U.2 drive?

I looked at the manual and it doesn't even have u.2 instructions.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Vego

Vego

Thanks Received:
    i cannot believe that you think i am this dumb...

everything is connected the way it supposed to be
    options in bios are turned on

bios sometimes sees the u.2 disc but windows does not...

7. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    So you're saying that the U.2 disk is not recognised in Windows?

What does disk management say? Is it not there at all?

8. Vego

Vego

Thanks Received:
    when there is only u.2 i can see it in bios
    but when i put m.2, doesnt matter witch port it is not recognisable, not windows nor bios can see it

9. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    That means the m.2 is sharing the same lanes with the U.2, you'll need a PCIE adapter if you want to use both at the same time. Read the manual.
    EDIT: also, what is your CPU? the lower end it is, the less lanes you get.

EarthDog says thanks.
  10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. Read the manual or look online at the specs. It shows how they are attached and what drops when. :)

11. ypsylon

Thanks Received:
    I was so set on this particular board, but then got Threadripper simply for the connectivity.

U.2 on ROG6E shares lanes with DIMM.2 card on M.2_1 slot. Can't use both at same time.

I find DIMM.2 to be both brilliant nad totally stupid idea. Brilliant because it saves space on the motherboard PCB itself. Stupid because using drive in the top slot put it perilously close to RAM sticks, using heatsink is out of the question while fan mount is truly horrible idea. Asus could think this better through. DIMM.2 Card should have been one sided with M.2 connectors next to each other with DIMM.2 slot itself placed as far from RAM sticks as possible.

I have currently issue on my Zenith Extreme, but I've decided to use top M.2 slot just for my pool caching drive. Not much R/W (only during sync) so no need to worry about overheating.

12. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    No one thinks you're dumb. Or I don't at least. Your original post was just vague.

13. Vego

Vego

Thanks Received:
    Up and running, and screeming :D

[​IMG]

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  14. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Rampage VI Extreme is sick motherboard and show how much ASUS dominate on motherboard market.
    Real motherboard for serious users who have money to invest on 18 cores and 64GB+ memory.
    From other side Apex is more for wild overclocking and cheaper Skylake-X.
    Great series of motherboards, ASUS Apex.

At this moment only upgrade interesting for me is i7-7820X and Rampage 6 Apex.

15. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    Well done I guess?

16. terroralpha

terroralpha

Thanks Received:
    the AsRock X299 fatal1ty pro can do everything this board can, at half the price. if asus was really on top of their game like you claim, then why are all of their high end boards getting panned by actual user reviews? the only thing that asus dominates in is marketing.

also, the 7820 is a worthless CPU. there is really no scenario where it makes sense, unless of course you really want to pad Intel's pockets. it's not good for gaming, not good for productivity, only 28 PCI E lanes, and extremely expensive.

just this week I got a 7900X and only paid $730 for it, and I'm still not sure if it was worth it.

17. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    People please don't believe that other boards can do everything as ROG motherboards, maybe they could be very similar, maybe difference not worth so much, but they are definitely better.
    I use their Flashback BIOS, their SSD Erase, ASUS softwares and BIOS have fat better theme and skin then ASRock, MSI, GIGABYTE.
    Once when you used on ROG BIOS and if you understand phylosophy you will not ask for anything else in motherboard section.
    Only bad thing is because ASUS so much increase price and Rampage Extreme series become unreachable to me from this year.
    I can't pay over 400 for motherboard or 420-430 example. But no 500 or 600 or even more.
    But that's not only ASUS, if GIGABYTE ask 500$ for some mobo or MSI than It's not strange because they ask so much when ASUS have better product.
    Lucky for us Rampage VI Apex is exactly for people who like to OC and use enthusiasts platform for gaming. They should make angled 24 pin as on Crosshair VI Extreme, but never mind.

i7-7800X are worse choice but i9-7900X is nice.i7-7820X is still great as brain of hardcore RIG.
    I would not complain to replace my platform for i7-7820X and ASUS ROG X299 Apex.
    He have 8 cores and work on 4.7GHz with 8 cores. That's far better fps in games than reviews show and it's better than i7-8700K because 2 more cores.
    i7-8700K is great as well if someone don't search for cheaper variants later only to replace processor and if change faster platform, Maximus X Apex and i7-8700K.
    But I would rather X299. Because i9-7900X will still be better than next 8 core model and you could keep motherboards.

Definitely worth for smaller price, I'm little sad because I can't replace and GPU and platform.
    I mean I could afford mobo, Rampage Apex, to sell my platform but not CPU and Mobo together if I want GPU. For me example would be enough and i7-7820X. 6 cores model is not worth to go on X299 now when i7-8700K is launched, but clock difference would be 200-300 max 400MHz after OC between i7-8700K and i7-7820X, for such small difference I would rather slower fps and 2 more cores. I don't bother myself with fps difference with so strong processors. I look fps difference only between graphic cards.